Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Secret identities IMO should only go so far as to villains and normal people.

Keeping your closest friends and family and loved ones appraised at the very least would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

The truth is, the vast majority of comics from earlier decades were mediocre with the occasional bright spots. Books like Miller's Daredevil, Simonson's Thor and Byrne's FF stood out like they did because so few comics of that time were operating on that level. Nostalgia lends these earlier times a glow but the truth is they were just like any other time - some stand-out, brilliant work, some solid, competent books, and a lot of stuff that's ok at best and maybe even kind of crummy.
    Kind of off topic but I definitely disagree with this. The three runs mentioned are far from being the only good runs in earlier decades.

That being said, I also strongly disagree with the notion that comics today are worse. I think memorable runs pop up just as much now as they did back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    with modern tech, no one could keep a secret for long. Two, if you’re battling villains all day,how much energy could you put toward a second career and identity? Maintaining a civilian career would be brutal.
    Well yeah, that’s what makes it heroic.

Scans daily has a summary of an interview Brian Michael Bendis gave on Word Balloon. Here's what was said about secret identities.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/8564598.html#cutid1

* Talking with people made him realize just how much the very concept of the secret identity has fallen out of the pop culture discussion thanks to the MCU, and how the primary equivalent cultural association these days is anonymous folks online where that often manifests in far more troubling ways (not that he considers that at all an equivalent to superhero secret identities, but that it's a huge association now).

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would agree with that as well, and I've opined in the past in this forum about how the Marvel superhero community's increasing disconnection from the people they supposedly protect has played a considerable role in the public's alienation from them due to the heroes seemingly no longer understanding (and thus disregarding) how normal people feel and fear. That was how we got stuck with Secret Empire, and if they're not careful, some other charismatic demagogue could turn the public against them again. As said in the DC Rebirth Supergirl comic, secret identities are tools for heroes to move and live among those they protect and develop empathy for them and their struggles.
    I would agree with this 100%! While there are other series that I read, Daredevil is by far and away my favorite character in comics. One of the principle reasons for this is the close connection that he has to his city and how he tries to make it a better place. In the best Daredevil runs Hell's Kitchen becomes a character in and of itself. In addition, I like that Matt's "civilian life" as a lawyer is also a way in which he helps people and makes him feel more connected to his city. Even his look out of costume is iconic enough that one could cosplay as him and it would be instantly recognized. You can't say that about to many other superheroes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Scans daily has a summary of an interview Brian Michael Bendis gave on Word Balloon. Here's what was said about secret identities.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/8564598.html#cutid1
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps secret identities aren't so popular anymore, not just because of the MCU, but because of how in real life, concealing one's identity has become increasingly associated with those who subvert democratic processes and norms and foment hatred, discord, and outright violence from the comparative security and anonymity of a computer (or smartphone) screen.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    I would agree with this 100%! While there are other series that I read, Daredevil is by far and away my favorite character in comics. One of the principle reasons for this is the close connection that he has to his city and how he tries to make it a better place. In the best Daredevil runs Hell's Kitchen becomes a character in and of itself. In addition, I like that Matt's "civilian life" as a lawyer is also a way in which he helps people and makes him feel more connected to his city. Even his look out of costume is iconic enough that one could cosplay as him and it would be instantly recognized. You can't say that about to many other superheroes.
    Even Spider-Man, you could cosplay as Peter Parker or Miles Morales or even Miguel O'Hara, but he'd have to have something from the costume or the web-shooters (in Peter's and Miles's cases).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I don't think this makes or breaks a story, but secret identities is kind of what attracted me to comics in the first place. Kind of the idea that each hero's code identity is their alter-ego, somebody their civilian identity is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    For me the problem with stripping away the secret ID was in most cases it stripped away the character having a life outside of being the hero. Cap used to have a real life, but ever since he was outed he is just all Cap all the time, and he is boring now because of it.
    You hit the nail on the head for me. I love the duality of heroes and villains, these days, characters like Cap, no longer have civilian lives and supporting casts. That Rob's something from them. Sure celebs like the FF don't need this duality, but it's not a one size fits all scenario. I don't remember the last time Cap had a secret ID on a run that I followed... maybe Heroes Return?

I'm in the camp of the suspension of disbelief being fine. We don't need everything being rigid with realism or we start chipping at the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Well...

Yes!!! I was always amused by this! Heck Cavil even stood in Times Square in a Superman shirt and NO ONE recognized him hah.
    Last edited by Shockdingo; 11-01-2019 at 04:59 AM.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Depends on the hero. In general not really though. Someone like superman I always hated he had one but went out of his way to unmask others. But the thing I hated most is people acted like he was all truth but everyday of his life and all of his interactions were a lie. How can the biggest liar be the keeper of truth.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Actually thinking about this further in the current marvel u where mutants are rampant it doesn't make sense. I mean it does again now since they have their own island though it could be used as propaganda against them depending on what the hidden superpowered person does. Anyone who goes out there and thinks I have to hide my identity because if people knew I had powers they would go after my family as leverage or what not should have a basic understanding of what it must feel like to not have the option of such duality.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would agree with that as well, and I've opined in the past in this forum about how the Marvel superhero community's increasing disconnection from the people they supposedly protect has played a considerable role in the public's alienation from them due to the heroes seemingly no longer understanding (and thus disregarding) how normal people feel and fear. That was how we got stuck with Secret Empire, and if they're not careful, some other charismatic demagogue could turn the public against them again. As said in the DC Rebirth Supergirl comic, secret identities are tools for heroes to move and live among those they protect and develop empathy for them and their struggles.
    I've felt similar about X-Men. They NEED to mix around with the rest of the universe... well Planet. I hate mutants in space concept. I remember back when the X-Men had human roommates, some had human jobs, some had human friends, human families. half their adventures were involved with protecting humanity from evil mutants... They had ties and connections to the world around them. The Xavier's dream of peaceful existence with a world that hated and feared them.... Now it's all mutants all the time mutants live in their own commune, they only deal with mutant problems, They're friends are all mutants any human friends and family have been killed off or dropped. Now when they aren't fight themselves, their main enemies are always humans AGAINST mutants and even their worst enemies are now official members.... And that was all BEFORE house of X.... Now they've double downed on that. Oh... and any human friends who may be left... they're mutants now too..

It's like someone trying to write a book about Black people who used to be heroes... deciding to only be around other black people and only deal with black problems and only see black people in their own little island... and not wanting anything to do with the rest of the world... It's crazy. This segregation of the mutants has lost a huge reason they were popular in the first place. The metaphor is broken in a way that would never be acceptable in any other setting.... you need those connections to humanity to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    IÂ’ve never understood secret identities. I just think most wouldnÂ’t work. I like when writers approach comics as what would happen if this was real. One, with modern tech, no one could keep a secret for long. Two, if youÂ’re battling villains all day,how much energy could you put toward a second career and identity? Maintaining a civilian career would be brutal. If you choose to be a super hero, youÂ’re probably not going to have a serious career or a robust social life. YouÂ’ll have a small circle that knows what you do but thatÂ’s about it.
    IÂ’ve never seen a story involving a secret identity where the ID added much to the character. Just a relic of a simpler time to me. Then again, IÂ’m not into the flamboyant costumes much.
    Really? Secret ID's have been a major part of a LOT of stories.... even if you don't like the concept it's hard to argue the importance that peter Parker's jobs, friends, family have had to his stories.

BANNED

As a fan of Spider-Man, a guy who's secret identity is very important to his character, I really do not get how people are saying all heroes need a secret identity as if that's the only way to tell a story and have tension and drama, and quite frankly it isn't.
    Like why does Captain America need a secret identity? He's a US soldier and an in-universe propaganda figure it doesn't really make sense, I mean I have to imagine there was a ton of ads during the war showcasing how he used to be a skinny kid until he joined the war effort and became the peak human being.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    As a fan of Spider-Man, a guy who's secret identity is very important to his character, I really do not get how people are saying all heroes need a secret identity as if that's the only way to tell a story and have tension and drama, and quite frankly it isn't.
    Like why does Captain America need a secret identity? He's a US soldier and an in-universe propaganda figure it doesn't really make sense, I mean I have to imagine there was a ton of ads during the war showcasing how he used to be a skinny kid until he joined the war effort and became the peak human being.
    Actually it does make sense considering how he’s often used for covert operations. But then again, Marvel isn’t really known for realism.

In my fanfiction, William Nasland is the person who’s known as Captain America while Steve Rogers is the real one.

Secret identities imsleep
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Of course, if we throw too much common sense at this...
    • The vast majority of superheroes would have been Ceased and Desisted into retirement the first time that they broke something really expensive...
    • Fantastic Four incorporated and Stark Industries would have been sued or regulated out of existence long ago...
    • 99.87% of Stark's waking hours would be spent trying to keep Chinese and North Korean agents out of his computers...
    • The US Army would have hit Captain America with a Stop Loss the second he thawed, and kept him black opsing ever since, except for stops at the lab for more samples...
    • All of those superheroes that privately invaded other countries would have gotten extradited to, or assassinated by those invaded countries...
    • The X-Men would be under indictment as domestic terrorists (they and they Mystique's Brotherhood ripped up Washington pretty good a couple of times)...
    • The Westboro Baptist Church would be constantly raising an atrocious racket in front of both Xavier's School and Dr. Strange's Sanctum...

So, arguments about the implausibility of maintaining a secret identity in comics based on Real World conditions really don't make any more sense than the comics themselves. It's strictly a preference.
    Bingo.

10 characters.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.