Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Not sure why forced confessions are being brought up here? Most heroes generally aren't trying to score a airtight criminal case. They're trying to scare criminals straight. If they were overly concerned with follow the law, they wouldn't be costumed vigilantes in the first place. They'd be cops, fire fighters, or SHIELD agents. Let's not forget, the very act of being a costumed mystery man is all about not having faith in the system and going outside of it to accomplish their goals.

And that's assuming the law in the MU is the same as the law in the real world. The MU could, and almost certainly does, have different policies for this sort of thing. Didn't a arc in Daredevil deal with this not too long ago?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not sure why forced confessions are being brought up here?
    Because they're a terribly inaccurate source of information.

And no, Batman doesn't hold people out of windows because he wants them to go straight. He does it because he wants to know where Two-Face is hanging his hat. And that is a bad way to go about that.

Mighty Member

The "Green Lantern" had a great scene (which is probably not a phrase that gets heard too often). Hal had just gotten his suit and shows up to Carol's balcony, ready to show off anonymously, and she recognizes him immediately. She says something like "We've had sex.. did you really think I wouldn't recognize you because you covered up your cheekbones"?!

Very funny and spot on take on how stupid a lot of supporting characters would have to be in order for some secret identities to work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    YES!

But the reason I miss them most is that it kept the heroes humble.
    It kept them connected with ordinary people who did not look up at them as some kind of god walking among mere mortals.

These a lot of the Marvel heroes are more like super-celebrities. They live in their own little bubble of hero-ness, even sleeping with each other in a kind of bizarre Young and Restless type existence. (Has Wanda Maximoff or Scott Summers ever had a normal human romantic interest? I mean, EVER?!)

Personally I find a lot of them borderline narcissistic, happily oblivious of their dysfunctional, in-bred lifestyle while ordinary people wait for the next alien invasion or super-villain attack to kill millions.
    Hear! Hear! Nowadays most marvel characters who are said to be so-called 'heroes' are, to me, instead ZEROS!

My name really isn't Grapeweasel.

more secret identities are needed. of course in this satellite/ cameras/ data hacking era, it's harder than ever, but...

They are still around

Spiderman Daredevil and Ms Marvel (most of the Champions actually)

Sure there are lots that don't but they are there if you want it.

Actually, the only Champions with a secret identity are Kamala and Miles. Nova did too, but he lost his powers (and in all three cases, Mom knows). Riri, Amadeus, Nadia, and Snowguard are public, and Viv obviously can't hide what she is.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    And a note Marvel has very few Domino mask Patriot,Stature,Ms marvel, and Winter Soldier.
    Patriot has been replaced by someone new, who has a full mask with only his mouth exposed, like Captain America. Stature became Stinger, who now wears a helmet similar to her father Ant-Man's. And Winter Soldier has ditched the mask too.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    4.Why are they child heroes? Why isn't there something around to train heroes?
    There used to be. The Avengers Initiative, which was like a boot camp, and later Avengers Academy, which was basically a school like the X-Men's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually, the only Champions with a secret identity are Kamala and Miles. Nova did too, but he lost his powers (and in all three cases, Mom knows). Riri, Amadeus, Nadia, and Snowguard are public, and Viv obviously can't hide what she is.
    I was going to mention this in addition to the parents knowing, Shield, Some Avengers and couple friends know for each of them too. Their Secret identity is to generally keep their identity safe from the general public not old school "omg nobody can know my secret identity" plus they have the most important thing in keeping secret identity which is backing of organization with some pull or tech. Avengers, Shield or Champions tech guru can suppress stuff need to keep their identity safe.

I am fine with this style of secret identity because it is closer what military or government agency use , It takes a bunch of people to protect a secret identity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    My guess is modern writers/editors think secret ID's are silly and don't want to deal with them.
    100% disagree. To me, so-called 'writers' and 'editors' are, simply put, incredibly lazy emphasis on 'lazy' to deal with them.

And it is ironic that Marvel states their heroes are more "relatable" than DC heroes yet who can relate to someone that is a superhero 24/7?
    VERY good point IMO.

Some like the FF or Dr Strange make sense
    I accept the FF without secret id's because they were the only super hero team that ALL MEMBERS of said super hero team had public id's, which was uniquely theirs that 'uniquely theirs' has been gone for 15 years by now though. Mark Waid & Mike Weringo gave a to me ASTOUNDING good reasoning of why the FF do not have secret id's:

"He refused to let them operate in secret" "He knew that would keep people from fearing them".
    "You see, glamour and fame weren't options" They were necessities"

but I would think others would want to be "normal" at times to get a break from being "on" all the time.
    I completely agree!

Astonishing Member

I think the reason why I like secret identities is because superheroes have become too celebrity oriented. A superhero could just show up and they’d be considered cool.

What does Spider-Man do that Captain America doesn’t do?

They have public identities but aren’t anymore effective with them.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think the reason why I like secret identities is because superheroes have become too celebrity oriented. A superhero could just show up and they’d be considered cool.
    That depends on the superhero.

Spider-Man and Hulk aren't generally viewed as celebrities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That depends on the superhero.

Spider-Man and Hulk aren't generally viewed as celebrities.
    I think they’re more viewed along the lines of “low-tier” or “controversial” celebrities than not celebrities at all. Basically like cult stars.

I remember this one kid who wished that the first superhero that they met in person was Captain America and not Spider-Man, not because they doubt that Spider-Man’s a hero, but because he wasn’t as “cool” as the others.

Astonishing Member

I miss pre-Quesada Marvel. Marvel hasn't been exciting since then.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    YES!

But the reason I miss them most is that it kept the heroes humble. It kept them connected with ordinary people who did not look up at them as some kind of god walking among mere mortals.

These a lot of the Marvel heroes are more like super-celebrities. They live in their own little bubble of hero-ness, even sleeping with each other in a kind of bizarre Young and Restless type existence. (Has Wanda Maximoff or Scott Summers ever had a normal human romantic interest? I mean, EVER?!)

Personally I find a lot of them borderline narcissistic, happily oblivious of their dysfunctional, in-bred lifestyle while ordinary people wait for the next alien invasion or super-villain attack to kill millions.
    Yes. He dated Lee Forrester for awhile. Lee later dated Cyclop's son, Cable.