Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I find it interesting that Marvel specifically used to have the philosophy that the most important parts of the 'heroes' was the man under the mask. Anyone could throw on a Spider-man costume or Captain America costume... but nobody could ever truly replace Peter Parker or Steve Rogers. Daredevil was Matt Murdock, the poor kid done good whose unselfish attitudes saved a blind man but cost him his sight... a lawyer who defends the innocent and fights crime at night...

Peter Parker... aunt May... Daily Bugle... JJ Jameson... Robbie Robinson... etc. etc. all were what MADE Peter parker the hero that everyone loved.

Once that's all stripped away??? First the secret IDs went away, then the social circles, then anything outside of the mask... then the mask can be passed around to whoever you want... because once a hero is nothing but action shots then sure, ANYONE can be Captain America and we can have a dozen Spider-men running around.
    Not to mention a bunch of Spider-Women, a load of Wolverine knockoffs, and an extra Hawkeye.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Here’s some more change I’m throwing in.....those who are saying guys like Captain America can go out and hang with “normal” friends without a secret identiy and not think he will not be bombarded with fans, attacked by villains, or have said “normal” friends hunted down to be kidnapped or killed are suspending more belief than someone trying to concel their identity with a domino mask.

At least with mask the person is activily trying to avoid being discovered so his friends or family wont get hurt.
    The Police and Military family and friends aren't attack all the time,In fact it is pretty low because

1. Villains don't break out of jail over and over
    2. Attacking Police gets you put Jail or Killed

It is not suspension of belief it just doesn't happen unless the place have a very corrupt government( see Crime Cartels in other countries than the US).Note when I am talking about this process I am talking about a Avenger 50 state Initiative style situation back by Shield like government/semi government back group Trained and Organized Heroes . We are talking about different things your heroes are spending 8 hours reporting and taking pictures, My heroes being a Superhero is the job,They are spending 8 hours fighting crime,They went to high schools(avengers academy,Xavier Institute,Future foundation) where they were train to fight and use their powers. It is not good idea to after Super Heroes friends and family in that setting

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    You guys got it right. Celebutante heroes, on Instagram and Facebook, earning living from followers are lame.Those are not modern heroes or heroes at all. Secret identities are harder to keep but, more important than ever. Not just for reader's fun but, for survival of super heroes in the world of the government trying to control everything. And lack of privacy.Just because, it is harder to remain private does not mean one should give up. I suppose stealth abilities would come in handy nowadays. And the night even more of a friend, like it is to villains. That is one of the reason why I loved the Siege Perilous. I wouldn't want to have most of my thoughts erased temporarily or forgotten by going through it but, not being able to be videotaped, or
    recorded or photographed has it's benefits. I could give up the phone, like a snap of the fingers. Keep a "slat" for research, texting, e-mail and information. Turn off that GPS or leave it at home.
    A person who makes a point of dressing up in an attention-grabbing costume and participates in public, destructive fights does not get to whine about privacy.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-02-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Here’s some more change I’m throwing in.....those who are saying guys like Captain America can go out and hang with “normal” friends without a secret identiy and not think he will not be bombarded with fans, attacked by villains, or have said “normal” friends hunted down to be kidnapped or killed are suspending more belief than someone trying to concel their identity with a domino mask.

At least with mask the person is activily trying to avoid being discovered so his friends or family wont get hurt.
    Having a secret identity has never stopped writers from endangering or killing off friends, family or lovers of the superheroes. If the writer wants to make their own "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" it will happen, regardless of whether or not the hero has a secret identity.

Secret identities being used to protect loved ones was a justification that came after the fact and again it's a justification that becomes weaker and weaker every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A person who makes a point of dressing who dressed up in an attention-grabbing costume and participates in public, destructive fights does not get to whine about privacy.
    So... with great power comes great responsibility, but if you act on and fulfill your great responsibility, you are no longer entitled to privacy?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It's really a case by case basis. The new teen heroes should keep their secret ids, that just makes sense. I'm not in favor of bringing them back for characters who haven't had one in years, hat just feels like regression.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Police and Military family and friends aren't attack all the time,In fact it is pretty low because

1. Villains don't break out of jail over and over
    2. Attacking Police gets you put Jail or Killed

It is not suspension of belief it just doesn't happen unless the place have a very corrupt government( see Crime Cartels in other countries than the US).Note when I am talking about this process I am talking about a Avenger 50 state Initiative style situation back by Shield like government/semi government back group Trained and Organized Heroes . We are talking about different things your heroes are spending 8 hours reporting and taking pictures, My heroes being a Superhero is the job,They are spending 8 hours fighting crime,They went to high schools(avengers academy,Xavier Institute,Future foundation) where they were train to fight and use their powers. It is not good idea to after Super Heroes friends and family in that setting

Jo the Police Officer/Fireman/Miltary Person doesn’t have global recognition along with Comics,Toys, T-Shirts and possibly even movies made about him in Universe. Jo the Police Officer/Fireman/Miltary Person isn’t a celebrity and if he doesn’t live in a incredibly small town most people would not be able to ID the person out of uniform.

Again no offense, but this is one of those agruments that fall apart as soon as you start talking “suspension of belief” if you logically take it through it paces.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

So, for people that think Secret Identities are unrealistic, is the witness protection program unrealistic as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So, for people that think Secret Identities are unrealistic, is the witness protection program unrealistic as well?
    People in the Witness Protection Program arent doing flashy public displays and out in the media. Im not sure they are comparable. Its not that secret identities are unrealistic but rather that they are impractical. I dont see how Spider-Man for example can keep his identity hidden from super villians. That doesnt make sense bc anyone with the resources and the determination to learn it, can easily do so. It shouldnt be too difficult

I think secret identities did more than just give the heroes privacy.
    It also was a way for readers to relate to them, and an avenue for all kinds of non-superpowered subplots.

I, personally, think one of the main reasons it fell out of favor was because some artists found it easier to draw skintight costumes and armor than to deal with drawing real clothes.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Okay, but this is the sort of thing I absolutely hated even the first time I saw it play out. Decent people who are supposed to be heroes are not supposed to act that way.
    Unless, as Siegle and Schuster, or Walter Gibson before them, or McCulley before him, or Baroness Orczy before him portrayed it, it could be a necessity of a hero doing the right thing against the headwinds of incompetence, corruption, or tyranny. That need not be the case of every superhero, and in some cases it's totally wrong for it (the FF in particular). But there is, and should be room for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think secret identities did more than just give the heroes privacy.
    It also was a way for readers to relate to them, and an avenue for all kinds of non-superpowered subplots.

I, personally, think one of the main reasons it fell out of favor was because some artists found it easier to draw skintight costumes and armor than to deal with drawing real clothes.
    I also think the post-social media shift away from privacy importance has played a part in it.

I believe in secret identities. I believe that many heroes (certainly not all, not even most) benefit from having one. It adds layers and depth, a wider supporting cast, narrative options, etc.

But most people under 30? These people post pictures of their food online for everyone to see. They keep in touch with Facebook friends more than real friends. What do they care about privacy? Ergo, why do they care about a hero's secret identity? These people, who dream of being social media starlets, can't imagine why a high-profile person would want to be able to walk through a grocery store without being bombarded by people. They sure as hell aren't going to see the appeal in the secret identity concept.

I think Marvel was just reading the landscape when they started phasing the concept out.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I also think the post-social media shift away from privacy importance has played a part in it.

I believe in secret identities. I believe that many heroes (certainly not all, not even most) benefit from having one. It adds layers and depth, a wider supporting cast, narrative options, etc.

But most people under 30? These people post pictures of their food online for everyone to see. They keep in touch with Facebook friends more than real friends. What do they care about privacy? Ergo, why do they care about a hero's secret identity? These people, who dream of being social media starlets, can't imagine why a high-profile person would want to be able to walk through a grocery store without being bombarded by people. They sure as hell aren't going to see the appeal in the secret identity concept.

I think Marvel was just reading the landscape when they started phasing the concept out.
    There are things you say about why it went away that I agree with. It probably is easier on artists, plus, some of them probably have more interest in drawing something KEWL. On top of that, there's probably some publisher interest in The Brand being on the page as much as possible, and story be damned. (if logical story drove the boat, Bruce Wayne would spend as much time in Matches Malone's clothes as Batman's)

As to the audience, you're probably right about that too. There's a constituency that can't fathom the idea that somebody with a means of being famous wouldn't milk it for all that it's worth, ego-wise, if not monetarily. That constituency isn't winning this poll, but they exist, and honestly, they do reflect a major movement in The US. Humility is not respected here.

At the same time, posters like Carabas do make a point: Characters with secret identities give away some integrity in what they do. There are reasons one might do that, but it comes with a price. All heroism does.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The witness protection program isn't one person.Witness protection is a group effort. It is bunch of government groups working together to make someone disappear.

I think I said before but Avengers Initiative/Shield in the Ultimate Universe / Hero Association in Hero Academy or One Punch man is what is need to make secret Identity work you need organization with enough pull and resources to make things disappear even when people are looking for it. There is a big difference between when you are looking for someone and when you looking for someone and agents show up at your door and start to monitor you because you start to look for someone. It is easier to stay hidden when someone tells you to stop looking or is actively closing up the ways to find you.

Secret Identities work but not without someone who can suppress stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    At the same time, posters like Carabas do make a point: Characters with secret identities give away some integrity in what they do. There are reasons one might do that, but it comes with a price. All heroism does.
    Oh, those posters are absolutely right. I think that's a good thing though; it's a chink in the armor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.