Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Boys Are Back in Town! Adventures of Super Sons #1 preview!

Come Wednesday, this'll be the the newest Superboy comic I own!

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/dc...ackle-superman

Jon eating popcorn while Damian fights his dad (kind of).

This series should be a riot!
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Incredible Member

I’ve missed this series it’s always such a fun read. I hope it sells well. Why did they stop the previous run? Was it because sales or Bendis taking over Superman and writing out Jon for now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I’ve missed this series it’s always such a fun read. I hope it sells well. Why did they stop the previous run? Was it because sales or Bendis taking over Superman and writing out Jon for now?
    Yes, it was stopped so as not to meddle with Bendis' plans for Jon. This series will last a year, the same length of time as Bendis' big Superman arc, so I suspect we'll have another relaunch next august set in the present.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I still think that was a stupid decision for them to make. The original Super Sons book could have co-existed just fine with MoS as well as both Bendis's Action and Superman and the existence of this book pretty much proves that. There was, therefore, literally no actual need to cancel the previous book IMHO. All they really needed to do was be clear to readers that these stories take place before the Bendis stories as they are doing with this book now and just let Tomasi go on with whatever his plans were.

In any case I (and my nieces and nephews) are looking forward to seeing the Super Sons back in action again.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

How I've missed how Tomasi writes these guys. Damian and Jon have way more personality and charm in this preview alone than the entirety of their writing under Bendis and Glass. Their banter is pitch perfect character dynamics. It was quite unfair to cancel the original series even with the dropping sales and keeping it apart from Bendis' Superman relaunch. I also wish Dan Mora was doing interior art given how gorgeous his covers are but Barberi's work has improved at DC. I'm definitely looking forward to more fun stories in this series.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I still think that was a stupid decision for them to make. The original Super Sons book could have co-existed just fine with MoS as well as both Bendis's Action and Superman and the existence of this book pretty much proves that. There was, therefore, literally no actual need to cancel the previous book IMHO. All they really needed to do was be clear to readers that these stories take place before the Bendis stories as they are doing with this book now and just let Tomasi go on with whatever his plans were.

In any case I (and my nieces and nephews) are looking forward to seeing the Super Sons back in action again.
    Look at it another way.

1. A relaunch typically helps sales and sales for super sons was starting to decline a bit
    2. The book will relaunch again once this story finishes for another story if sales are good

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I mean, there was a very clear reason for Super Sons being temporarily cancelled: story.

The way Man Of Steel shakes out and the fact Jon won't be back for the next 2 or 3 months means he logically wouldn't be having new adventures with Damian till after then. And Damian himself has taken a very distinct turn in his story that wouldn't really jib with light adventures with Superboy. And it's not really the same as Action vs Superman because those books are still built on and acknowledging the same base idea: Lois and Jon are gone as far as Clark knows. Super Sons coming back now after only a short hiatus and being set directly before Man of Steel is just about the best idea in this situation. The book is effectively self-contained.

Oh, and behold Super Sons will be lasting about as long as Bendis' year long arc that deals heavily with the El family. That gives DC the ability to get out a new number 1 this week, let Bendis tell his story, have a self contained Super Sons book by a fan favorite writer, AND have the option to git in a new #1 again next year. And we all get to read it all.

I don't see the issue. What did we even miss out on? A lost 2 months? Super Sons ended May 20th, and that's not even counting the Blue Falcon one-shot.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I mean, there was a very clear reason for Super Sons being temporarily cancelled: story.

The way Man Of Steel shakes out and the fact Jon won't be back for the next 2 or 3 months means he logically wouldn't be having new adventures with Damian till after then. And Damian himself has taken a very distinct turn in his story that wouldn't really jib with light adventures with Superboy. And it's not really the same as Action vs Superman because those books are still built on and acknowledging the same base idea: Lois and Jon are gone as far as Clark knows. Super Sons coming back now after only a short hiatus and being set directly before Man of Steel is just about the best idea in this situation. The book is effectively self-contained.

Oh, and behold Super Sons will be lasting about as long as Bendis' year long arc that deals heavily with the El family. That gives DC the ability to get out a new number 1 this week, let Bendis tell his story, have a self contained Super Sons book by a fan favorite writer, AND have the option to git in a new #1 again next year. And we all get to read it all.

I don't see the issue. What did we even miss out on? A lost 2 months? Super Sons ended May 20th, and that's not even counting the Blue Falcon one-shot.
    I don't know it was already sort of its own thing anyway. I think it would have been just fine to keep it going those two months with two stand alone stories clearly marked as happening BEFORE MoS and if they absolutely had to have a sales boost they could have simply renumbered Super Sons with the next issue after those two. (To be honest I hate all the danged renumbering the big two do anyway and would rather they didn't need to do it at all.) Aside of skipping two months that's basically what they've done anyway. I'd have much rather had those two months of story myself since its distinctly possible that things are going to change once Jon gets back. (That is assuming of course that Jon does get aged up during the course of his trip with Jor El, which is pure speculation at this point. )
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-30-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

I mean, not really at all. At least as far as Tomasi went. Super Sons started in a Superman two part arc, had its stories called back to there, actively dealt with Jon's issues over moving, had a crossover with the book, debuted Jon's flying power, and effectively made Damian and Batman semi-regular members of the Superman books. There was never once really sense that Super Sons was just its own thing in terms of continuity.

Actively cancelling Super Sons worked in terms of the uncertainty of that month of Man of Steel that was directly built on the idea of "where are Jon and Lois." How one feels about that particular story beat is one thing, but the reasoning was sound, and DC gets a new number one out of it while letting Bendis do his thing, and leaves open the option. It was working off the same idea all the Justice League and Titans books worked off during Metal. That is to use an event book as a mini relaunch and jumping on point for the whole line (notice how all the Superman books halted for a time). Now Supergirl is coming back with events directly spinning from MOS, and I imagine the same will be true for Super Sons or a solo Superboy book at either the midpoint or end of the year long unity saga in Superman.

For the first time in a long time the Superman branch of things is working purposeful concert with such confidence that they can straight up confirm a book for Lois Lane on the way and big things to come for Jimmy. Having this particular Super Sons book is more out now is more a reward to the fans and border line flexin as far as I'm concerned. This is just some sh!t to make you smile for a while and all the ask in return was a month away to tell a story, and I think it was a fair price.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I mean, not really at all. At least as far as Tomasi went. Super Sons started in a Superman two part arc, had its stories called back to there, actively dealt with Jon's issues over moving, had a crossover with the book, debuted Jon's flying power, and effectively made Damian and Batman semi-regular members of the Superman books. There was never once really sense that Super Sons was just its own thing in terms of continuity.

Actively cancelling Super Sons worked in terms of the uncertainty of that month of Man of Steel that was directly built on the idea of "where are Jon and Lois." How one feels about that particular story beat is one thing, but the reasoning was sound, and DC gets a new number one out of it while letting Bendis do his thing, and leaves open the option. It was working off the same idea all the Justice League and Titans books worked off during Metal. That is to use an event book as a mini relaunch and jumping on point for the whole line (notice how all the Superman books halted for a time). Now Supergirl is coming back with events directly spinning from MOS, and I imagine the same will be true for Super Sons or a solo Superboy book at either the midpoint or end of the year long unity saga in Superman.

For the first time in a long time the Superman branch of things is working purposeful concert with such confidence that they can straight up confirm a book for Lois Lane on the way and big things to come for Jimmy. Having this particular Super Sons book is more out now is more a reward to the fans and border line flexin as far as I'm concerned. This is just some sh!t to make you smile for a while and all the ask in return was a month away to tell a story, and I think it was a fair price.
    I didn"t mean that there was no continuity between the books but that the two characters were off doing their own thing, separate from whatever may have been going on in other titles at the time. They could have simply continued to do so by doing exactly what's being done now by setting things before MoS ane keeping things continuity-lite. I doubt it would have had any effect at all on either the situation with Jon and Lois in MoS or even their situation as it stands currently because in effect Super Sons would have been telling stories set in the past. Action, Superman and later Supergirl would continue in the present with the Lois and Jon mystery completely intact.

In the sense of keep the tension for the duration of MOS 1 I think a small hiatus was more than fair, and far more clean in terms of clarity. You're far less worried about a character's future in one book when you know that they have their own book continuing on just fine. That's the MCU effect that some critics have cited especially during Infinity War. The fact that this is a mini plays to that and keep it intact.

But, I dunno, man. It was only a month off, and they get a sales bump via a number one out of it. I just can't bring myself to see the issue here. We're all getting our cake even though the current story lines in like 3 books says we shouldn't.

In the sense of keep the tension for the duration of MOS 1 I think a small hiatus was more than fair, and far more clean in terms of clarity. You're far less worried about a character's future in one book when you know that they have their own book continuing on just fine. That's the MCU effect that some critics have cited especially during Infinity War. The fact that this is a mini plays to that and keep it intact.

But, I dunno, man. It was only a month off, and they get a sales bump via a number one out of it. I just can't bring myself to see the issue here. We're all getting our cake even though the current story lines in like 3 books says we shouldn't.
    Oh, its not an issue really. All I'm saying is that the tension of the situation with Lois and Jon is still very much present even now and they are going ahead with Adventures of the Super Sons set in the past anyway so I feel like they could have done so sooner without the haitus. *shrug*. And strictly speaking Super Son was on hiatus for two months (June and July) if one doesn't count the Dynomutt crossover. It's final issue was May 23rd. I know the whys of it I just wish it hadn't been necessary is all especially given that there might actually be a change of some sort for Jon in the works. I just think 14 more months of 10 yr old Jon working with 13 yr old Damian would have been nice but I'll take 12.

(Also as an aside I'm really burned out on shiny new #1s to be honest due to Marvel's flagrant overuse of relaunching and renumbering so while they might attract other readers interest they don't get mine. I just find it to be frustrating these days.)
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-31-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    Come Wednesday, this'll be the the newest Superboy comic I own!

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/dc...ackle-superman

Jon eating popcorn while Damian fights his dad (kind of).

This series should be a riot!
    I loved the scene with Jon standing in the background eating popcorn. It really made me smile.

Mighty Member

So, this issue was amazing, as expected, and I really liked the Gang. Good addition to the Super Sons rogues gallery. I look forward to seeing where things go next. Very glad this title back.

Summer of Super!!!!!
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Retired

The Boys Are Back in Town! ?

How dare you put that earworm back in my head. Now I'll be hearing Thin Lizzy for the next month!!!