Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Shazam/Captain Marvel advice

Alright, so I scanned several book and comic book stores and found absolutely zero Captain Marvel graphic novels, so I went on to iTunes instead and found a modest amount there.

I picked up Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil as my first book and loved it. I have enough for one more, but I’m torn between two.

So, Between Mulitversity: Thunderworld and Convergence: Shazam, which would you recommend for someone starting out?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Thunderworld and Convergence: Shazam, which would you recommend for someone starting out?
    I didn't even remember those having enough content for a trade, but they'll package anything.
    As starting off points , they aren't great, as they are in their own self contained universe, then end.

However both of those are great fun, thematic and visual throwbacks to the classic Captain Marvel.
    Especially love the look of Evan Shaner's Convergence: Shazam. Wish that had been the basis for an ongoing Shazam Universe book.
    Although they are mostly plot driven (little character development) and somewhat tied to an event, so not sure how they read out of context.

If you really want the classic pic up the actual archives, starting from the beginning, it doesn't get more fun, and magical than those.
    That is absolutely where everyone should start.
    Or the upcoming Original Captain Marvel Vs. The Monster Society Of Evil republication, may work for that too. - https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...deluxe-edition

Also don't shy away from The New 52 SHAZAM JL back-ups (2013), by Johns and Frank, collected in trade as SHAZAM!
    It's a great story, modern more character driven, update of Billy and the SHAZAM! Family, and still ultimately (if you actually read the whole thing and not just the first issue) true to the spirit of the original character.
    And one of the most reafirming tales, of what makes Billy a true hero.
    Well worth the read.
    And it is the official jumping on point, for the currently in production upcoming SHAZAM! ongoing., that many have been waiting for.
    So jump on there! - https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...1/shazam-vol-1

Also it's somewhat the basis for the new SHAZAM! movie, and contains the basis for the set up of the potential Teth Adam movie.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-30-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Retired

I think anyone looking into Captain Marvel/Shazam needs to at least read the origin story in WHIZ COMICS No. 2--if not some of the other Fawcett stories. The most recent reprint of this origin is in SHAZAM!: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS--which sounds like a good compilation of stories from the entire history of the character, but to be honest I don't have that collection and I can't find a run down of all its contents. However, it looks like a book I'd want to put on my shelf.

Yeah, there’s not too much in them. They’re the digital copies, though, and that’s the best iTunes has. I’ve scoured three book stores and two comic book stores, and the best they had was some back issues of The Power of Shazam (I prefer not to buy back issues, as they fall apart easier) and an expensive graphic novel of the original Fawcett comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Also don't shy away from The New 52 SHAZAM JL back-ups (2013), by Johns and Frank, collected in trade as SHAZAM!
    It's a great story, modern more character driven, update of Billy and the SHAZAM! Family, and still ultimately (if you actually read the whole thing and not just the first issue) true to the spirit of the original character.
    And one of the most reafirming tales, of what makes Billy a true hero.
    Well worth the read.
    And it is the official jumping on point, for the currently in production upcoming SHAZAM! ongoing., that many have been waiting for.
    So jump on there! - https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...1/shazam-vol-1

Also it's somewhat the basis for the new SHAZAM! movie, and contains the basis for the set up of the potential the Teth Adam movie.
    Can you tell me some positives from that series? Specific ones, preferably. I like to know what I’m going into before I buy something (my library had no Shazam material) and all the specifics I’ve gotten have been negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think anyone looking into Captain Marvel/Shazam needs to at least read the origin story in WHIZ COMICS No. 2--if not some of the other Fawcett stories. The most recent reprint of this origin is in SHAZAM!: A CELEBRATION OF 75 YEARS--which sounds like a good compilation of stories from the entire history of the character, but to be honest I don't have that collection and I can't find a run down of all its contents. However, it looks like a book I'd want to put on my shelf.
    I think that’s the graphic novel one of the comic book stores had, and while I wanted it, it was a bit out of my price range. I’ll probably ask for it as a gift.

I would definitely recommend both. Don't know which order I would recommend reading them in. I don't think it really matters. Both are pretty short. Thunderworld was a one-shot and Convergence: Shazam was a two-parter. I probably prefer Thunderworld and that's the one I read first, but both are really, really good. So yeah, I recommend both.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 07-30-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Can you tell me some positives from that series? Specific ones, preferably. I like to know what I’m going into before I buy something (my library had no Shazam material) and all the specifics I’ve gotten have been negative.
    Sure sorry you've only been reading the negative.
    It's hard to do without spoiling it, as what I like most about it reveals everything positive it builds up to. What happens at the end is the best most reaffirming part.
    Here's something I posted about it 2015- http://community.comicbookresources....244#post857244

I love the new origin, Billy's actual arc (instead of just being born that way) into being a hero paralleling Teth-Adam's fall, is spectacular.
    And so is the new take on his family!

If you actually bother to read it, it's one the most reaffirming and stronger takes on the character, showing why he was recognized and is anything but a brat. - Afraid to attach himself to anyone calling him family for fear of losing them, he at first lashes out. Empathizes with the villain, who similarly lost his own. Sees what hate and power can do, and in the end, inadvertently does what Adam can never do- share the power with those he was really afraid to lose.
    It's Billy (and the Marvel Family)at his best.

I love this new Family of kids over the old Tall Marvel, Fat Marvel, Hill Billy Marvel, etc...
    These guys are great!
    And here - http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post967903
    ...He's actually human, afraid to connect to what he might lose again, and because of his "experience" which = growth, he comes out being the better champion for it.
    His ability to share power ([with his family] becomes everything! With the group/family he defends. It actually means something for him to be part of it.
    He's a champion of kids, especially those who might feel they are alone in the world.

and here - http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1567641
    Developing the villain as much as the hero, and showing what ultimately makes the hero what he is, as opposed to just telling you, - this one is just inherently good - that one just inherently evil, is actually a great tool. He blurs the lines of both, and instead shows you anyone could go either way, so what defines them is not what they were, but their choices on the way, that's what makes them different.

That he goes as far as showing how Billy at first empathises with the "villain" actually connects more with him, makes them both more interesting, less black and white, so you actually care about them both!

Ultimately the arc was about Billy being able to share power, and allowing himself to be part of what he feared losing the most, a real family. Something Teth Adam, could sadly never do again. But you need both sides, otherwise what Billy does, what he becomes in the end is meaningless.

In the end, Billy isn't perfect, he's hurt, conflicted, confused, but he makes a choice, a choice Adam (who suffered the same, lost his family) can never even imagine, and that is to let go of or share power, and let himself be that vulnerable again.
    And that is what makes Billy a champion and embodies the power of SHAZAM!
    By doing so he doesn't just end up in a new family, he makes one.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-30-2018 at 02:54 PM.

And you already know my take. That there really aren't any positives with regard to the New 52 version and it's pretty much a bastardization of everything Captain Marvel was for his existence prior to the reboot. Really wish they gave him the opportunity to have his own reboot rather than continuing with the crap started in 2013.

Actually, spoilers would be good for me. Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but I’m actually more likely to want to buys something after I hear spoilers, so I would like to hear those parts, too.

Marked as spoilers, of course. I know I’m the oddball out.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Sure sorry you've only been reading the negative.
    It's hard to do without spoiling it, as what I like most about it reveals everything positive it builds up to. What happens at the end is the best most reaffirming part.
    Here's something I posted about it 2015- http://community.comicbookresources....244#post857244

And here - http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post967903

and here - http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1567641

In the end, Billy isn't perfect, he's hurt, conflicted, confused, but he makes a choice, a choice Adam (who suffered the same, lost his family) can never even imagine, and that is to share power.
    And that is what makes Billy a champion.
    He doesn't just end up in a new family, he makes one.
    I’ll admit, there’s one incident that really ruined Nu52!Billy for me, and that was having him steal for no reason, after becoming Shazam. Of course, I got this information second hand, so it’s probably out of context, but while I could accept him getting snappish and standoffish as a result of a bad history with foster families, I really can’t find myself cheering for a thief. (It’d be different if he were on the street when it happened, but from what I heard, it was after he got his powers). This really applies to all characters, as I’m not all too fond of Catwoman or Spider-Man’s Black Cat when they are the protagonists, either. If I’m wrong about that info, please correct me.

I’m not opposed to all the ideas from Nu52, though. I’d just prefer if things were toned down. I posted about what I’d have gone with in these posts.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 07-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Retired

I'm on the fence about buying the new 52 TPB right now. From what I hear, the movie will use a lot of the same plot points and I think I'd rather see that in the movie first. Maybe get the TPB later. I do like Gary Frank's art.

The 90s ongoing series by Jerry Ordway is the quintessential Shazam. It captures the weirdness of 90s DC in a way that is very charming.

Alright, so I scanned several book and comic book stores and found absolutely zero Captain Marvel graphic novels, so I went on to iTunes instead and found a modest amount there.

I picked up Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil as my first book and loved it. I have enough for one more, but I’m torn between two.

So, Between Mulitversity: Thunderworld and Convergence: Shazam, which would you recommend for someone starting out?
    Start with the real Captain Marvel and the real Mary Marvel and the real Captain Marvel Jr www.digitalcomicmuseum.com

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Start with the real Captain Marvel and the real Mary Marvel and the real Captain Marvel Jr www.digitalcomicmuseum.com
    I didn’t know that was in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    The 90s ongoing series by Jerry Ordway is the quintessential Shazam. It captures the weirdness of 90s DC in a way that is very charming.
    That it is, but unfortunately the series is not collected in TPB. I think the only arc that was collected was the prelude to the series.

Also, to the OP. You should be able to find the Shazam mini series from the 80s in dollar bins at a comic store, or certainly on eBay. It was a great read!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The one thing I didn't like as much about the Convergence comparing it to Thunderworld is that it made it explicitly clear that Cap and Billy are different entities. (Akin to "Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil," but even more specific. Though if you loved that book, you should have absolutely no issue with the Convergence story.) And I understand that a lot of people view it that way when it comes to the classic version before COIE, but I never saw it that. Rather, the way I see it, it's Billy affected by the attributes of the forces that make up the SHAZAM acronym. That way, he's not exactly the same mentally as when he's Billy, but he is still essentially the same person. Just with extra added infused resources at his disposal which some might interpret as a different personality, but I would not. At least until I see concrete evidence from the Golden Age showing that they are with out a doubt separate entities. If there is any, I would accept it, but I'd still prefer it to be Billy with the qualities of the forces that make up the acronym.