Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why did my Appreciation thread get closed?

I thought I posted a question asking a mod to tell me why my "X-Fan Appreciation" thread got closed despite not violating any rule (that I know of), but I don't see the thread anymore... I'd still like a mod to explain it to me, please.

BANNED

I'll even be happy with a PM at this point.

Did it maybe duplicate other similar threads?

Was there much to the thread?

How many "Appreciation" threads are there on the X-Men boards?

(I have no idea myself . . . just throwing out possibilities.)

22. Sagittarius. Time Like Lightning's Avatar

Did it express any hint of longing for the off-topic threads of old?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

He/him/his pronouns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    Did it express any hint of longing for the off-topic threads of old?
    Most things I post might have a hint of longing now.

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

I liked your appreciation thread gregyo. I hope you find out why it was closed.

BANNED

Nah, it wasn't your fault. Scorpio was the flag-carrier for that thread.

No, that would be the mods. Y'know, Wolfsis, you, me and Gregyo were all really decent, chill posters. Really accepting and outreaching in the old forums. But then we start criticizing the changes and now I get the vibe two of us (and maybe even you, too, Gregyo) are considering leaving.

I hope this reboot reduces sexism and oppression in the comic book community, because if it hasn't, that old community getting broken up will have been completely in vain.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

He/him/his pronouns.

X-Cres was very cliquey, or "tribal" as the mods put it. But if the mission was reducing sexism and oppression in comics, then the X-boards were a force for good. I posted in that thread because it had the most socially progressive, and dare I say inclusive community in comics.

It feels weird to say that, seeing as a lot of the X-Cres posters were hella suspicious of newcomers. But they're weren't homophobes, or racists, or misogynists. They didn't send rape threats to anyone.

Now all of us are scattered to the wind, and there's no safe space anymore.
    I have to talk to Bronies.

But what did we do? I thought this was a DC fans thing?

Retired

Aren't there an excessive amount of these "________(fill in the blank) Appreciation Thread" topics anyway? In the first place, the terms of use advise us not to use "Thread" in topic titles because it's obvious and redundant. Even the use of "Appreciation" in topic titles is getting stale. A lot of topic titles are either bland and unoriginal or expressed as yes or no type questions or badly formed run-on phrases.

You'd think, with an essentially brand new forum to write on, topic starters would use the opportunity to bring some freshness to the same old stale topics, by expressing them in new ways that excite interest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    But what did we do? I thought this was a DC fans thing?
    We've NEVER been liked. Ever.

Reading through some of the threads that were here yesterday, even though the notice said that a lot of the reason for the wipe was because of the TT issue, several posters continued to blame the X-Boards for the wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Father_Jerusalem View Post
    We've NEVER been liked. Ever.

Reading through some of the threads that were here yesterday, even though the notice said that a lot of the reason for the wipe was because of the TT issue, several posters continued to blame the X-Boards for the wipe.
    But why? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    But why? Why?
    The X-Forums had this vibe where all the regulars got snippy and insulting with each other, but usually it was done from a kind of affectionate place. Like, they felt close enough that they could snipe with each other, if that makes sense. When new people came on, it took awhile for them to get acclimated to that environment (learning to take insults with a quick internet punch back instead of feeling hurt), but once that happened, they tended to have a good time and be accepted, so long as they weren't a jerk to anyone. It was more a matter of trial by fire--proving yourself by either unrestrained and raw snark, a subtle wit, or such positivity and friendliness that no one cared how snappy your fingers were.

The new mods and a lot of the posters who I'm guessing frequented other subforums or are brand new don't really understand that atmosphere because they weren't a part of it.

He/him/his pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Like Lightning View Post
    The X-Forums had this vibe where all the regulars got snippy and insulting with each other, but usually it was done from a kind of affectionate place. Like, they felt close enough that they could snipe with each other, if that makes sense. When new people came on, it took awhile for them to get acclimated to that environment (learning to take insults with a quick internet punch back instead of feeling hurt), but once that happened, they tended to have a good time and be accepted, so long as they weren't a jerk to anyone. It was more a matter of trial by fire--proving yourself by either unrestrained and raw snark, a subtle wit, or such positivity and friendliness that no one cared how snappy your fingers were.

The new mods and a lot of the posters who I'm guessing frequented other subforums or are brand new don't really understand that atmosphere because they weren't a part of it.
    And, speaking as someone who wasn't a part of that, maybe the feeling of CBR Forums 2.0 (or whatever update this is) want to completely avoid that type of atmosphere? Nobody should have to "prove" they have enough attitude to hang, even if it really isn't done viciously?

(Just a guess, since I'm not a moderator.)