Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The competition

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    In ever media she has been one of the best Amazons. Mala could have won. This is why I think Mala should stay in the Wonder Woman supporting cast. Next to Diana Mala is the best.
    Sofia and Io kind of fulfilled that role in Rebirth, although I would prefer Mala to be around as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    did the original origin have it that she wasn't that much more powerful? In the Super Friends version Priscilla Rich was able to win the contest. Sure, she cheated, but not in every round. Priscilla's not superhuman. So in THAT version regular Amazons were seemingly only athletic Human level. This seemingly applied to Diana, and Priscilla became Wonder Woman when she put on the costume with all the powers that would imply.

So yeah, if Diana is more powerful than the others then it's not a fair contest.
    I believe it varied. With Marston, Diana was one among many of the Amazons, except sculpted from clay and given life by Aphrodite. Perez had Diana being blessed by the gods, but the other Amazons (including Hippolyta) didn't know that. In Legend of Wonder Woman she was sculpted from clay, but I think it only was Alcippe who had a clue about Diana's destiny or future powers, and several of her powers came from items.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't really care either way. It's basically just there to tell why Diana is the one who goes to man's world. So if they use another method and that work for that particular version, I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I believe it varied. With Marston, Diana was one among many of the Amazons, except sculpted from clay and given life by Aphrodite. Perez had Diana being blessed by the gods, but the other Amazons (including Hippolyta) didn't know that. In Legend of Wonder Woman she was sculpted from clay, but I think it only was Alcippe who had a clue about Diana's destiny or future powers, and several of her powers came from items.
    Yeah, in some versions it's Diana's magical armor and weapons that make her so powerful. This was seemingly the case in Superfriends as Priscilla Rich actually gained the powers of Wonder Woman in one story.

In Marston's all of the Amazons were sculpted even their children

Fantastic Member

It's hard to make the competition fair, when Diana is the daughter of Zeus, while the others are not. You can't even play out here receiving the gifts only after the contest.

I'd make an excuse within the story and say that she was depowered, and it was only skill. Otherwise, it's just her basically bullying the competition, given how more powerful she is.

That is what Rucka did. She didn’t get her Demi god powers until after she won.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't really care either way. It's basically just there to tell why Diana is the one who goes to man's world. So if they use another method and that work for that particular version, I'm good.
    Well a couple of stories have toyed with the idea that the Amazons are guarding something. Standing vigil on the island to keep the world safe. One storyline had monsters sealed beneath the island. Ruckas recent tale had them keeping Ares imprisoned. The idea that should the Amazons abandon the isle the world would be doomed sets up a good motivation for their choice to remain on the island instead of venturing out from it. Sending a select few out to aid the world while the bulk of them remain guard in their paradise to keep the world safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Well a couple of stories have toyed with the idea that the Amazons are guarding something. Standing vigil on the island to keep the world safe. One storyline had monsters sealed beneath the island. Ruckas recent tale had them keeping Ares imprisoned. The idea that should the Amazons abandon the isle the world would be doomed sets up a good motivation for their choice to remain on the island instead of venturing out from it. Sending a select few out to aid the world while the bulk of them remain guard in their paradise to keep the world safe.

Agreed. I mean Rucka hinted that the Wonder Woman title was due to the competition before Steve ever came. So maybe that's how they should be advanced. A few go outside and have to make it within a certain amount of hours. I mean whether it be the Doom Gate or Ares they can't always be using swords