Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Star Wars Legends comics

out of all the Legends expanded universe run what do you think were the best comic stories?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Knights of the Old Republic will always be my favorite.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    out of all the Legends expanded universe run what do you think were the best comic stories?
    The ones written by John Ostrander.
    So that's Agent Of The Empire, the Cade Skywalker run of Legacy, most of Star Wars: Republic, and the incomplete Dawn Of The Jedi series, I think.

I am also more fond of the Tag & Bink comics than I probably should be.

Star Wars Tales (an anthology series had had canon and non-canon stories from every corner of the franchise) and Knight Errant (a three-arc series about an Old Republic Jedi playing Batman while trapped in a Sith Empire) are my votes. Was never able to get into anything else.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Crimson Empire

^Those are the canon films.

Out of all the original EU, I think Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson's comic strips-later reprinted as the first volume of Dark Horse's "Classic Star Wars"-kind of are underappreciated.

They were less restrained than the Marvel line continuity wise, since they came out after Empire and told the story between the two films (Which is pretty much getting that treatment in Marvel's current series), such as Vader taking command of the Executor and the rebels forced to flee Yavin IV. It also reveals the thing about the Bounty Hunter on Ord Mantell and how the Rebels found and chose Hoth. Granted, there's some goofy stuff there such as Luke falling for an Obi-Wan imposter recruited by Vader....

Although the comic ultiametly ends close to the start of EMPIRE with Vader deploying the probe droids, since the comics were coming out around the time of ROTJ they managed to get some ROTJ stuff in there as well-Jabba, The Emperor, and an Imperial shuttle make a cameo, and there's also a story arc about the Mon Calamari joining the rebels and helping with the evacuation of Yavin(Something that the Marvel series recently also covered, although in a different fashion).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Empty is thy hand!

The Dark Times comic is some of my favorite SW ever. Obi-Wan and Anakin from Marvel is surprisingly decent and I really enjoyed the Clone Wars digest comics Slaves of the Republic, The Colossus of Destiny, Deadly Hands of Shon-Ju, The Starcrusher Trap, Shipyards of Doom, and Hero of the Confederacy.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved Dark Times and that period right after the fall of the Jedi. This collection give you a good taste of what the galaxy was like with Vader hunting down the surviving Jedi. It give you a couple issues from the end of the Republic series, the Purge mini series and one shots, and the the first story arc from Dark Times. This is just Vader unleashed. The Dark Times series itself is also well worth a look.

The story of a Jedi padawan framed for the murder of his classmates who has to go on the run to clear his name and find out why he was framed. A great series that ran for over 50 issues plus a follow up mini series.

^It's also a prequel of sorts to the game series, with one of the supporting characters turning out to be Darth Malak. (Revan also makes a few appearences, although his face is always covered of course). Saul, Carth and Mission also make a few appearences.

So does anyone know if there's comic adaptations of the Thrawn trilogy?

Yes, Dark Horse did adaptations of all three novels.

The first one has a more cartoony art style by Oliver Vatine, and the Noghri, instead of being the small characters in the novels, are pretty much Hulk-size.

The second is drawn by Terry Dodgson, in his signature style so he draws the characters pretty well but his technology isn't quite as good. Also the color is a bit duller compared to HTTE.

The third has the best art IMO, by the late Edvin Biukovic.

There's a few notable differences/artistic licence compared to some of the other illustrations of the material (Covers, RPG sourcebooks, official guides etc). Palleon, for example, has no mustache as most other illustrations portray him. Thrawn is missing the gold shoulders. Talon Kaarde, often drawn with a sort of dashing look, is sort of given an unkept, long-haired and bearded look. A lot of the ships and aliens look completely different from other sources.

Perhaps most interesting is Mara Jade. Before the comic version, a lot of artwork depicting her had her in a green dress and braided hair, looking like somebody from LOTR or GOT rather than really "Star Wars".

However, after the comic series they pretty much stuck to the design of Mara in a more functional sleeveless black suit, although some stuff still kept her old look (The cover for Vision of the Future, for example).

Dark Horse apparently was looking to expand their novel adaptation line, and they did for a little bit-Splinter of the Mind's eye was adapted. Shadows of the Empire was "sort of" adapted, but didn't adapt the whole novel and focused on the story mainly from Boba Fett's POV (as the video game focused on Dash's POV). There was a planned Truce At Bakura adaptation but that fell through.

Although there has of course been a recent novel adaptation-there was a manga of Lost Stars (although it's not Marvel's).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Shadows of the Empire was "sort of" adapted, but didn't adapt the whole novel and focused on the story mainly from Boba Fett's POV (as the video game focused on Dash's POV).
    The Shadows... comic wasn't supposed to be an entire adaptation, but an expansion of the core story. Shadows... was, as described, "a movie without a movie," so everything was designed to simulate movie tie-ins like that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yes, Dark Horse did adaptations of all three novels.

The first one has a more cartoony art style by Oliver Vatine, and the Noghri, instead of being the small characters in the novels, are pretty much Hulk-size.

The second is drawn by Terry Dodgson, in his signature style so he draws the characters pretty well but his technology isn't quite as good. Also the color is a bit duller compared to HTTE.

The third has the best art IMO, by the late Edvin Biukovic.

There's a few notable differences/artistic licence compared to some of the other illustrations of the material (Covers, RPG sourcebooks, official guides etc). Palleon, for example, has no mustache as most other illustrations portray him. Thrawn is missing the gold shoulders. Talon Kaarde, often drawn with a sort of dashing look, is sort of given an unkept, long-haired and bearded look. A lot of the ships and aliens look completely different from other sources.

Perhaps most interesting is Mara Jade. Before the comic version, a lot of artwork depicting her had her in a green dress and braided hair, looking like somebody from LOTR or GOT rather than really "Star Wars".

However, after the comic series they pretty much stuck to the design of Mara in a more functional sleeveless black suit, although some stuff still kept her old look (The cover for Vision of the Future, for example).

Dark Horse apparently was looking to expand their novel adaptation line, and they did for a little bit-Splinter of the Mind's eye was adapted. Shadows of the Empire was "sort of" adapted, but didn't adapt the whole novel and focused on the story mainly from Boba Fett's POV (as the video game focused on Dash's POV). There was a planned Truce At Bakura adaptation but that fell through.

Although there has of course been a recent novel adaptation-there was a manga of Lost Stars (although it's not Marvel's).
    Thanks I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Out of curiosity what would you say would be the best Darkhorse story without spoilers?

For the OT/post ROTJ era I've always liked the Rogue Squadron comics. Basically, they're largely a prequel to the novels which came out around the same time, and also co-written by Michael Stackpole.

PT era Dark Horse did some great Clone Wars stories which are sort of an alternate version of the war than the TV series. They're mostly by John Ostrander, who later wrote the Legacy series.

I loved the Cade Skywalker Legacy run. Right now, I'm going back to read the Republic series and then hopefully Knights of the Old Republic. Eager to read more Legends comics.