Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Azzarello's run was magnificent. It was near perfect. Great supporting characters overall and a Diana who actually felt powerful.

Rucka's Rebirth run was a travesty. He almost ruined Wonder Woman for me. His version of her was an emotionally weak fool. Especially in those issue set in the past where she seemed to have the mental faculties of a 5 year old. And the whole thing about Azzarello's Themyscira having been a 'lie' was beyond stupid and frankly insulting. I hate it with a passion.
    #EmmaWasRight

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Azzarello's run was magnificent. It was near perfect. Great supporting characters overall and a Diana who actually felt powerful.

Rucka's Rebirth run was a travesty. He almost ruined Wonder Woman for me. His version of her was an emotionally weak fool. Especially in those issue set in the past where she seemed to have the mental faculties of a 5 year old. And the whole thing about Azzarello's Themyscira having been a 'lie' was beyond stupid and frankly insulting. I hate it with a passion.
    The above take is completely opposite from mine.

Rucka was tasked with going back to the "Classic Coke" origin while obviously not completely doing so(Jason). While it's not terrible, it's essentially something that's already been done.

Meanwhile, the "New52" run was a completely new story.

One of those is superior just based on that it is not essentially a retread.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Rucka was tasked with going back to the "Classic Coke" origin while obviously not completely doing so(Jason). While it's not terrible, it's essentially something that's already been done.

Meanwhile, the "New52" run was a completely new story.

One of those is superior just based on that it is not essentially a retread.
    But stuff like say the Amazons being restored to what most fans agree are their proper characterizations is not a retread though. They made Dianas people murderers and changed them back. It was new, but that does not automatically translate to good, especially when it arguably misses the entire point of their place in the mythos.

Azzarello's run had a lot of story ideas that were retreads. Hera going on the warpath due to Zeus's wandering eye isn't completely new, even in the context of the Wonder Woman franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But stuff like say the Amazons being restored to what most fans agree are their proper characterizations is not a retread though. They made Dianas people murderers and changed them back. It was new, but that does not automatically translate to good, especially when it arguably misses the entire point of their place in the mythos.

Azzarello's run had a lot of story ideas that were retreads. Hera going on the warpath due to Zeus's wandering eye isn't completely new, even in the context of the Wonder Woman franchise.
    It is when Rucka is essentially just retelling the old origin.

As for Hera, think of the entirety of the story. It does not end Hera's arc at "Getting Payback For Zeus-Related Slights..."

Amazons shouldn’t be unlikable. I mean they bullied and Diana had no friends. What’s the point of having the amazons? Besides whether or not you like it Azz put more importance’s on the fact the amazons didn’t matter in her origins rather he father. Why not both. Why does Diana even need Zeus to be her father? I mean why can’t she stand up to Hera? You are talking about a woman who andandoned her son for what reason. Who lied to Diana. Causing Diana to be raised in a hell hole. There should have been a balance.

Batman and Superman kept majority of their supporting cast liekable why can’t the amazons be likable?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

There really isn't much of a comparison here. Azz developed the public domain Olympians and his creations(First Born, Cassandra, Lennox, etc.) while Ruck actually developed Diana and her original supporting cast and villains such as Steve, Etta, Cheetah, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, the Invisible Jet, etc. Plus most of Azz's work with actual Diana was based around deviant shock value and made her seem very foreign while Rucka brought her back to form.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Rucka was tasked with going back to the "Classic Coke" origin while obviously not completely doing so(Jason).
    I don't recall Jason even being mentioned or hinted at in Rucka's run.

I mean Diana’s origin was more female-centric but a majority of the players in Azz was male-dominated. All of the female gods were unimportant except for Hera. At times Diana was a supporting character.

Rucka didn’t mention at all Jason t wasn’t until Robison did Jason get introduce
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-31-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't recall Jason even being mentioned or hinted at in Rucka's run.
    Didn't say that he was. That said, they don't just wipe out that he is a thread left hanging from the "New52"-era when Rucka retells the origin.

I still don't understand how some people like Azzarello's run so much. He pretty much made Diana a supporting character in her own book and lazily ripped off Greek mythology (the Hermes chicken feet...?) instead of using what was already there. He didn't really add anything, just subtracted and permanently damaged WWs origin. There were no epic fights that showcased Diana's strength or powers either. He didn't even use Marston's bracelets concept right. Steve and Etta never showed up once. In my opinion, the bad outweighs the good in his book.

Rucka's revamp of Cheetah was great. His Amazons were obviously a step forward from Azzarello's but they still seemed kind of primitive and stuck in antiquity. I will never understand why writers just never use whats come before with Wonder Woman. It's like they're afraid of consistency or something.

Why would he have used what was already there when, by the design of the new initiative, there was nothing there? It was a reboot; he was hired to start over. Wonder Woman has a history of succeeding writers not continuing off existing material, I certainly understand that and its been the single biggest problem with her post-Crisis history, but this was the one example where it was completely warranted not to.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-31-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It is when Rucka is essentially just retelling the old origin.

As for Hera, think of the entirety of the story. It does not end Hera's arc at "Getting Payback For Zeus-Related Slights..."
    Both the New 52 and Rebirth were reboots, so they were both retreads by default. Both start Diana over from scratch while ditching some or all of what came before, changing her foundation. Doing a new storyline and moving things forward naturally would be something legitimately new but that's something that's eluded WW for eons. And Year One was kind of a necessity due to the New 52 exploring everybody else's origins while neglecting hers, while making bigger changes to her world in the process.

Fine, Hera got redeemed....she had already reflected on her behavior in the Perez run. Diana is now a child of Zeus, the oldest cliche in the book. The Amazons had already gone through development pre-Flashpoint (BOTH tribes). They have been flirting with the idea of giving Diana a father since the Silver Age. The fight for Zeus's throne was already done in Rucka's first run, etc.

He executed a lot of these in a style all his own which is what made a lot of his run enjoyable, but Azzarello didn't have a lot of new ideas on display.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post

I think the same. I really hate Rucka run.

Diana didn't need a father before. So what makes Azz story great for Diana? Diana has always been a likable character. Okay, the gods were great expected for the women( not Hera.) All the male gods were better than the females. Which follows the actual myths. Why be so close to the Greek myth when you are talking about a female-driven storyline? All the women cast were number down and unless for the most part but the male cast had more important from Ares to Hades and Zeus. Besides some of these things in Azz's storyline have been done in other Diana story just throwing in other things to make them Azz. On the other side, there were a lot of things I liked like Hera and Diana once again wanting to help and fix the Amazons and the gods. However, the majority problem is the Amazons being terrible.

Why Zeus? It's been done to death. Why do we need Diana getting her powers from Zeus? It's just way too many Zeus demi-god babies in the media today. Why can't she just have the clay origin or another father? Why not Hercules? I mean Hippolyta is a demi-goddess herself why need Zeus?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-31-2018 at 09:30 PM.