Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    BANNED

She already was actual royalty, the princess of the Amazons, with probably better teachers than the run of the mill amazons, with many powers that let her go toe to toe with Superman bestowed on her by actual gods. Also, gods always had a hand in her existing in the first place. I do not see how her being an actual demi-god changes much of substance.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Because tastes and opinions are different among peoples. Rucka's work was at Finch's level : utter trash, in my eyes. I wouldn't mind at all that the last two years of Rebirth's Diana were entirely scrapped from her continuity by another "Lol, the Gods lied to you woman" plot, at that point, if it meant that Diana got a clean slate.
    There is nothing requiring a clean slate. The parts of the New 52 that were deemed the most successful stuck around and the elements too troublesome to keep (the Amazons) were changed. Jason came and went, he was awful, but we can continue on a never speak of him again with little effort.

Wonder Woman's world is more coherent/consistent now than it was in the New 52 era. And sounds like Wilson had a solid enough foundation to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rucka's run had her receiving abilities from the pantheon so not everything she can do is because of her dad. Thus problems a and c can be safely thrown out the window as "toxic" problems. She probably inherited some feats from her father but definitely not what her full powerset is once her origin is completed, and considering she's not fully powered until her first adventure off the island, she isn't OP during the Contest either.
    Which is something Robinson just outright ignored. The Patrons gave Diana 'gifts,' but she showed no sign of any of them while Jason got armor that showed off everything Diana was now lacking.

This alone is a reason for me to hate Robinson's run :/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Which is something Robinson just outright ignored. The Patrons gave Diana 'gifts,' but she showed no sign of any of them while Jason got armor that showed off everything Diana was now lacking.

This alone is a reason for me to hate Robinson's run :/
    The more I look at Robinsons run, the more it reminds of John Byrne's - someone who used the Wonder Woman title to progressively give more and more time to characters he seemed to find more interesting then Diana herself.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I like both writers runs.
    I find it ironic that both came in to basically get Wonder Woman back on track
    and than Harris and Didio and Lee decided to reward there efforts by giving the book
    over to a new writer who promptly ignored everything they did and well.............
    who had the worse follow up run............ Meredith Finch or James Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    She already was actual royalty, the princess of the Amazons, with probably better teachers than the run of the mill amazons, with many powers that let her go toe to toe with Superman bestowed on her by actual gods. Also, gods always had a hand in her existing in the first place. I do not see how her being an actual demi-god changes much of substance.
    This like saying there's no difference between Superman being born a Kryptonian and him being an artificial being created by the Martians because both involve aliens.

Yes gods had created Diana before. But she wasn't their daughter, Zeus had nothing to do with it and the primary focus was on her relationship to the Amazons. That clearly changed with the New 52 with vast majority of the stories being about the gods and Diana being a child of Zeus and continued all the way to Robinson's run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Azz's run hooked me on Wonder Woman and is now one of her best Elseworld's run, since it has become non-canon for the most part (heck, the whole lot of it). I hate Rucka's Rebirth run with a passion, it almost entirely destroyed any interest I had in the character, to the point that I hoped his run would flop hard. Hopefully, Orlando's and then G. Willow Wilson's run will be great, finally.
    All of Azzarello's work is best seen taking place in an Elseworld. Superman: For Tomorrow is a really interesting take on Superman, but I don't consider it canon. Same thing with Azzarello's Wonder Woman. I actually like both Azzarello and Rucka's runs a lot (the less said about the Finches the better) but Rucka does a better job establishing Diana as a mainstream superhero with a supporting cast while Azzarello wrote a great story that just kind of exists on its own. Case in point: the amazons raping and murdering sailors and having babies but throwing away the males is great in an else world because it fits in nicely with a lot of greek mythological stories but I think it really sucks to have that in mainstream continuity because the amazons are basically evil and there's no defense for what they're doing. Overall I prefer Azzarello but I think Rucka is also great.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I enjoy Azzarello more now that it is essentially an Elseworld. Since he wrote her in DK Master Race and brought Dessa along, moving his run to the DK verse could have worked.

I mean when we know Hippoltya has been hinted before of being a Demi-goddess why does she need have an affair with Zeus to make Diana a Demi-goddess?

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I like both writers runs.
    I find it ironic that both came in to basically get Wonder Woman back on track
    and than Harris and Didio and Lee decided to reward there efforts by giving the book
    over to a new writer who promptly ignored everything they did and well.............
    who had the worse follow up run............ Meredith Finch or James Robinson
    I'd say Robinson was worse cause, well, at least Meredith tried to follow the rules set by writer before her. Robinson's run fits more into the new 52 continuity than Rebirth. Except for Cale and Cheetah late in the game, he doesn't give a damn about the Diana that had been written before. It's like another character with a completely different personality.

And that's my biggest problem with Rebirth's continuity. Rucka said he tried to pay homage to Pérez's amazons. We even see Hippolyta in the same outfit and all. But how that version of Lyta in particular fit in with the lies about Diana's origin? We saw the fake blonde Hippolyta telling Diana the truth about Zeus, but the main continuity Hippolyta, we have to imagine, did the same thing. Which is pretty odd to me. When the revelation happened in Rebirth per se?

Probably one of those things we just have to accept as cannon now (because movie version) even though it doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean when we know Hippoltya has been hinted before of being a Demi-goddess why does she need have an affair with Zeus to make Diana a Demi-goddess?
    Rhetorical question or are you actually wondering? Because I’m sure you can guess the answer: Zeus is “more powerful” and easy source of angst/drama in the eyes of DC.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I find it very difficult to say anything positive about Azzarello's run. When you're dealing with a character that's existed for more than 75 years, respect for the lore and the world created for them comes first in importance. I don't think Azzarello had any. He came from the typical 'Vertigo' perspective, the sort of writer who fancies himself so much cleverer than the people who actually thought up the characters he gets to mess with. He treated Wonder Woman and her world the same way that Alan Moore treated Batgirl, and that's not a compliment. Finally, Azzarello, again keeping to the Vertigo mold, seems to be a loose and undisciplined writer. He spent his entire years-long run on a single plot line. Editors needed to put their foot down.

Azzarello managed to kill off my interest in DC and the DCU. Rucka actually used established characters and the lore without the perverse urge to begrime them, so it can't help but be an improvement.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Rhetorical question or are you actually wondering? Because I’m sure you can guess the answer: Zeus is “more powerful” and easy source of angst/drama in the eyes of DC.
    Rhetorical. I mean it's way too easy and lazy to have Diana be Zeus's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I find it very difficult to say anything positive about Azzarello's run. When you're dealing with a character that's existed for more than 75 years, respect for the lore and the world created for them comes first in importance. I don't think Azzarello had any. He came from the typical 'Vertigo' perspective, the sort of writer who fancies himself so much cleverer than the people who actually thought up the characters he gets to mess with. He treated Wonder Woman and her world the same way that Alan Moore treated Batgirl, and that's not a compliment. Finally, Azzarello, again keeping to the Vertigo mold, seems to be a loose and undisciplined writer. He spent his entire years-long run on a single plot line. Editors needed to put their foot down.

Azzarello managed to kill off my interest in DC and the DCU. Rucka actually used established characters and the lore without the perverse urge to begrime them, so it can't help but be an improvement.
    I don't really think there's a problem in having one underlying threat for an entire run. Rucka did pretty much the same thing, his Year One story was about how Cale lost her daughter, while the present day stuff was Cale putting her plan into motion to get her daughter back. That said First Born was pretty boring as a villain, he didn't really bring anything new to the table that we hadn't already seen.

All-New Member

Rucka made some very big mistakes compared to Azz's run. Amazons being murderous seducers who murdered male babies was powerful although Diana should have had more reaction to the reveal of Amazon character faults. She should have been more shocked and ashamed of her sisters' bad behavior. Demigoddesss not dependent on the patrons for her powers, yes. Ares stuck in a tree? Amazons unable to employ magical weapons to take down Ares if necessary to say nothing of invaders with superior technologies? Amazons unable to leave the island? Diana unable to visit the Island? I didn't like the changes Rucka brought and now Jason is out of the picture?! She gets a brother and then loses him?! Just like the Batman non wedding weding promoted by a DC marketing department via using bait and switch tactics with outright lying and so I don't buy current Batman books anymore. Probably won't make much difference but I at least cast my vote by dropping the book. I would have happily bought a book with married Batman but not now. If WW doesn't improve, I'll have to drop it also. Azz's run was so much more with characters and situations such as Dian's dysfunctional family. Rucka was a disaster and he is going to do the three issue history of the Amazons? Give me a break though I will keep an open mind. As for now, though I prefer DC comics, the Batman fiasco has me never again trusting their marketing department with it's penchant for lying.