Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Quitely's "The Multiversity: Pax Romana" Cover

Grant Morrison's "The Multiversity: Pax Americana" #1 arrives in November, and CBR has the exclusive reveal of Frank Quitely's finished cover.

Full article here.

I feel like there's probably some hidden text in there, but just glancing at it, that's kind of a disappointing cover for Quitely, if I'm being honest.

BANNED

I feel sorry for the colorist who had to separate all those lines...

I'm confused. Is this title called Pax Romana or Pax Americana?
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

brains
    to the limit and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    I'm confused. Is this title called Pax Romana or Pax Americana?
    Pax Americana, which is a play on the historical Pax Romana.

Not a great cover, but I'm pretty sure Morrison mentioned the peace sign on fire a while ago, so it was expected.

penetrator of things

I'm pretty sure the peace sign on fire is in reference to Peacemaker assassinating the President. That's what Pax Americana is about. Basically, the exact same thing as the Comedian's smiley with blood.

It starts off with the president being executed in reverse. That's where it begins. There's a peace sign on fire – you know, Watchmen had the smiley face with blood? We're taking that and doing the Rutles doing the Beatles. We're taking the peace sign, which is equivalent to the smiley face, and settling it on fire, which is equivalent to the blood. There's a quote from Delmore Schwartz that says 'time is a fire in which we burn, time is a school in which we learn.'
    http://www.craveonline.com/comics/in...oman-earth-one
    Last edited by tako; 07-23-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

you guys realize that the comedian was the 'watchmen' analogue to the charlton comics character, peacemaker right? the cover is an homage to the blood tainted smiley-face button. imo, there is a lot more impact here. A peace sign engraved into the earth and then set on fire. i get a sense of anarchy, violence, destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. k0 View Post
    you guys realize that the comedian was the 'watchmen' analogue to the charlton comics character, peacemaker right? the cover is an homage to the blood tainted smiley-face button. imo, there is a lot more impact here. A peace sign engraved into the earth and then set on fire. i get a sense of anarchy, violence, destruction.
    I guess in several panels we ought to see several of these "Peace Sign On Fire" symbols in one form or another, right?

The cover doesn't really tell me anything. Blah.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Something to keep in mind: like Watchmen, the cover here is the first panel of the story.
    Buh-bye

I assumed the cover is a play on the smiley button in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Something to keep in mind: like Watchmen, the cover here is the first panel of the story.
    Exactly. The idea of Pax Americana (Romana? there always a lot of changes between the publication and the preview in these days) is imitate the Watchmen narration with the originals characters.

This is an interesting idea. The original characters parodying the parodies. This is the issue that has been generating the most excitement since Multiversity was announced many moons ago. Hopefully more people will gain an interest in the Charlton characters and lean that they were the basis for The Watchmen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mr. k0 View Post
    Wow, i didn't realize any of that until you bolded all of those words for my/our benefit. Thanks, especially for the info on Comedian being and analogue to Peacemaker, who knew?!?