Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Mary Marvel’s power source

So I was looking back at some old info on the golden age Marvel Family, and I noticed it meantime’s that Mary had a separate set from Billy: Selene (gracefulness), Hippolyta (strength), Artimis (skill), Zephyrus (speed/flight), Aphrodite (beauty), and Minerva (wisdom). I kind of like the idea that Mary was worthy in and of her own right l, and thins would allow her to have a slightly different power set than Billy.

The only change I’d make is to take out Aphrodite. Woman or man, this person is supposed to be fighting off magical terrors. Looking pretty isn’t going to help. I’d switch her out for Amaterasu as a representation of power. A bit of adjustment could allow her to have more of a sun motif, considering Billy’s lightning comes from Zeus as a representation of power.

What do you think?

Well, it's not Aphrodite. It's Aurora (Eos in Greek), who is the goddess of dawn and bringer of light. The beauty part is kind of secondary.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Well, it's not Aphrodite. It's Aurora (Eos in Greek), who is the goddess of dawn and bringer of light. The beauty part is kind of secondary.
    Ah, I see. I’m looking at TV Tropes, which lists Aphrodite.

Either way, I think giving her power over beauty would make more sense for a guardian of goodness.

Thanks!

I guess whoever entered that in on Tv Tropes just assumed it was Aphrodite.

The point still stands, though. If each specific quality designates a power, than beauty is kind of a handicap, unless it translates more to charisma or a sliver tongue, though I’d call those more a mixture of skill and wisdom. Overall, I’d still go with power over beauty for a guardian.

I think it kind of funny she has the strength of Diana's mom.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I think it kind of funny she has the strength of Diana's mom.
    Well, one iteration of Billy actually fought Hercules. And criticized him.

It's kind of funny that the Marvel Family's powers are so closely tied to the Greek Pantheon but they never hang out with Wonder Woman that much .

I think there's a lot of ways you can spin what "Beauty" gives Mary. Obviously it's kind of a stereotypical feminine trait, although Mary is traditionally a pretty feminine character. Maybe beauty of the heart and mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of funny that the Marvel Family's powers are so closely tied to the Greek Pantheon but they never hang out with Wonder Woman that much .

I think there's a lot of ways you can spin what "Beauty" gives Mary. Obviously it's kind of a stereotypical feminine trait, although Mary is traditionally a pretty feminine character. Maybe beauty of the heart and mind?
    That would be a better way of looking at it, though I still question what sort of power that would translate into.

Nice to see a face from the Spider-Man boards.

I don't know how much impact it was supposed to have on her outward appearance, since before Crisis, she didn't turn into an adult. She pretty much looked the same.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Retired

I always thought it would be better to have indigenous American deities and legends that powered Mary. Given there are hundreds of first nations across the Americas, there are likely six female figures that provide the right initials.

Aphrodite might not be one of the six, but her power isn't looking pretty. She's a potent deity who predates a lot of Greek gods and heroes and she figures into many ancient stories where she does more than make herself beautiful. I always hated that the Perez Wonder Woman demoted her to a supporting role as the dumb blonde--when Aphrodite was originally the chief goddess of the Amazons.

BANNED

I like that! Maybe his beauty is mesmerizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always thought it would be better to have indigenous American deities and legends that powered Mary. Given there are hundreds of first nations across the Americas, there are likely six female figures that provide the right initials.

Aphrodite might not be one of the six, but her power isn't looking pretty. She's a potent deity who predates a lot of Greek gods and heroes and she figures into many ancient stories where she does more than make herself beautiful. I always hated that the Perez Wonder Woman demoted her to a supporting role as the dumb blonde--when Aphrodite was originally the chief goddess of the Amazons.
    Well, the Iliad is about Aphrodite essentially causing a war so she could make her OTP kiss.

Incredible Member

What is Grace for?

What powers does she gain?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always thought it would be better to have indigenous American deities and legends that powered Mary.
    Because the Greek ones weren't obscur enough?

At this time in the 1940's there was a lot of discussion about super-hero's being new versions of Greek Myths. There was no discussions about them being related in any way to American Indians.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 08-01-2018 at 06:59 AM.