Default Saga #21 Reviews (SPOILERS)

Surprise, another great Saga issue and easily the best comic I read this week. I feel like with the last few arcs, the first few issues that reintroduce the characters and their new setting are a little slow, but once things get going the book really takes off.

I really like the decision to split (or at least tease the split) between Marko and Alana. It's added a lot of drama and tension and feels very real. The sex scene was hot and well placed in the story. Alana's actress job is starting to grow on me, although that's still my least favorite part of this arc. Marko and the daycare lady have good chemistry and it's added a sad dimension to Marko that gives depth to his character and role. Hazel has been ABSURDLY adorable so far this arc.

I like the Robot Kingdom subplot. Over the last few arcs Saga has been slower moving and quieter, but the action and violence was back in a big way here. This plotline has added a nice dimension of politics to the worldbuilding of the book, and Prince Robot IV is now a really broken and f***ed character that you can see heading in any direction. I was sad to see Mama Sun die, I thought that was maybe a little overkill or unnecessary, but she probably wasn't going to play a key role in the remainder of the series, so whatever.

Only real "complaint" is that I continue to miss Gwendolyn and Sophie and think we probably should have checked in with them by now, but oh well. Maybe they are being held off in this arc entirely and we will meet up with them later.

Great issue. I don't really bother mentioning Staples' art anymore because it's sort of taken for granted how perfect it is.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

All-New Member

Great book. I agree that the only thing thats missing in this arc is Gwendolyn, Sophie, and The Will. But yeah, I'm sure we'll see them again soon enough.

The book just gets better with each issue...
    #MagnetoWasRight