Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wasn't so upset by the final episode of LOST. My brother was outraged, but I was mellow about it. I guess I felt that that final scene didn't invalidate all the pleasure I had before it. And I had my own theories about the show. I decided to not give that ending any value.

Yet with HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, my response was the opposite. It fouled the whole series for me. I had put in so much time watching and rewatching that show, but the finale trashed any respect I had for the show. I don't think I could go back and watch it again, because I know that it's all going to end on this sour note.

Now why I can hold these two opposing views on the end of a series, I have no clue.
    I don't hate the HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER FINALE, but once you know the twist, the series certainly feels a lot darker.

Ultimate Member

The show horribly reduced the mother in the title to nothing more than a way to get the kids, she didn't matter a bit beyond that...

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The whole final season of HIMYM was a loser, IMO.

Double post
    Last edited by David Walton; 08-07-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think it was the part of the story they were least interested in telling, so it all ended up being filler until the finale. Which I get, but it probably would have gone over better if the show hadn't gone as long as it did. I think people would have been more forgiving that way. But while it's not a perfect sendoff, I still thought the finale was poignant and the twist worked well enough. It probably helped that I was rooting for them to get together all along.

Retired

Even though the final season of HIMYM was frustratingly long-winded, with little content, the one thing it had going for it was Cristin Milioti who played this fresh new character that we could all fall in love with. Even if Ted seemed unworthy, the main interest of that season was seeing them get together. So to kill her off without much ado in the series finale was not nice.

Moreover, it seemed like the producers had stopped watching the show after the first few seasons and then came back to the series to produce the ending, so they just put everything back the way they wanted it for the end.

Almost everything produced/written/directed by Ryan Murphy (Nip/Tuck, Glee, Popular, American Horror Story, American Crime Story) has a great first season and then goes off the rails.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

This award goes to Star Trek Discovery

I loved Captain Lorca. He has a grizzled military veteran with his share of problems and my favorite captain since Sisko.

Words can't express how much I hated what the series did to his character at the end. Beyond stupid and pointless.

It to the point where unless something phenomenal happens, completely dropping the series.

Astonishing Member

A bit of repetition:

Battlestar Galactica - a total failure for a last episode. It made no sense for reasons well known.
    Flash - wandering with an overly long ridiculous villain. Destroying Harry for no reason - stupid.
    Arrow - again - unrealistic villain and plot. Taking over the city is getting so old.
    Supergirl - Brainiac's makeup - need I say more. What a crappy realization of the character. Mon-el - douchbag, I agree. Social justice preaching - boring. The Guardian - Cap on the cheap? Stupid use of James. Lena was a good addition though. She has some brains.

Here's another take on how series fail.

It's the BABY.

On Supergirl Alex is a strong female character but she has to be put down into a classic feminine as compared to feminist role as she has to have a BABY!

Law and Order SVU - I used to like the Law and Orders when they were fairly tight procedurals. Then Olivia had to have a BABY as she was getting old and we have ridiculous plots involved Noah, that go on and on. The crimes are in the background. It is also the case that the police procedures and court procedures are so violated frequently as to make the SVU and DA blindingly incompetent.

There seems a trend by writers to make sure we know that women are first and foremost drooling for a baby that takes precedent over their job. We see it in comics where females get impregnated by scientific or supernatural bad guys quite frequently. Happened on ST:NG also.

The Mist - moving from the monsters to some psychobabble in a cloud. What a waste. Hint - stay with the story line from the original material. New writers - your ideas are not necessarily better.

Preacher - becoming slow moving and boring. Hanging around Deliverance level swamp dwellers - who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I stopped watching it around the seventh season.

You guys are a brave bunch to somehow have managed to endure that stuff for two more seasons.

Anyway, gotta mention the big bang theory. The first seasons was nothing to be euphoric about to be sure but what can i say? I'm a hopeless optimist. I didn't think it was going to be that bad though.

That's interesting. I've enjoyed The Big Bang Theory even more as it's progressed. I feel like they've balanced character growth and new additions to the cast really well.

Astonishing Member

The BBT changed from its focus on its kind of out there geniuses to domestic comedy as a focus. Stopped watching it.

Buffy after season 5, though it did manage a couple good episodes afterward. Season 6 minus the Musical was especially bad.

Angel's last season was a definite decline as well. Though not nearly as sharp a decline as Buffy had imo, and is saved by a great finale.

Sliders, poor, poor, Sliders. Cancelling it might have been kinder than continuing on when they were only down to one member of the original cast.

Some Anime ones.

Bleach started great then went off the rails sometime after the first soul society arc.

Yuyu Hakusho was a favorite of mine until the last arc, where you get the feeling the author wanted to wrap it up as quickly as possible.

Naruto after an ocean of filler and the horrible adventures of Sauske I couldn't bring myself to care when they got back to the good plot.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Should also add Doctor Who. I checked it out and thought it was okay and enjoyable enough to keep watching with Eccleston and Tennant. Then IMO, the Smith season dropped the ball dramatically. I don’t blame him and thought he was a pretty good Doctor, but it just didn’t hold my attention like the episodes that came before with the other guys. And things only good worse with Capaldi IMO. So, I gave up on it. And the new female Doctor series looks to be even worse, so I doubt I’ll be coming back to it any time soon.

(Apologies if this offends hardcore Who fans.)
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-08-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Retired

I never had high hopes for ARROW and just watched it out of couriosity, so I was surprised when it turned out to be okay. It wasn't the greatest TV show, but it was a nice way to spend the time. Then in season 3 it turned terrible and even though some seasons have been better (5), I've never got back the feeling I used to have for the series. I'll binge it to see how it fits with LEGENDS or FLASH, but it's not a good series anymore.