Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, to be fair, Abrams didn't really have much to do with the show on a day-to-day basis especially after Season 1.

This was really the baby of Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Abrams wasn't that involved with Lost. It was really more Dindelof's baby.
    He only directed the pilot.

I lost interest during the final or penultimate (don't exactly recall) season.
    Acually, I think I lost interest a lot sooner than that and just watched it out of habit.

I have greatly enjoyed other Abrams shows like Alias and Fringe.
    Yep/Yep.

Trying to put the blame on Abrams for that is like trying to pin the blame for the Saw franchise on Wan/Whannell. You can try doing it, buy it doesn't really hold up when you take a closer look at it.

As for "Disappointments"...

The X-Files. While there was some solid stuff here and there later on, they probably should have just ended the show gracefully a lot earlier than they did.

Also, Preacher.

I can't think of another instance where so much potential has be squandered so completely.

Retired

The actual shows that really disappointed me were the ones that I very much liked and I was pumped to see where they would go, only for them to be cancelled in their first season--and either quickly wrapped up in the last episode or leaving me hanging. Shows like AWAKE, FOREVER and NOW AND AGAIN
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-02-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    My wife and I just deleted what we had left of the last season of the 1970's Wonder Woman. At some point it turned into the Diana Prince IDAC agent show where once or twice she'd very briefly change into the costume to breakdown a door and then change back. It wasn't terrible, but it was losing it's fun factor while still remaining silly.
    I can understand where you are coming from on that as my own opinion of the last season of Wonder Woman has gone back and forth several times. I guess what bothers me the most is how Season 3 was stripping away all the main parts of Wonder Wonder and turning it into a generic 70's action show. And had that's especially telling with what they were planning for Season 4 with Diana moving to the California IDAC getting a "cute wise cracking kid" added to the cast.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    All but the last season of Castle were really good. The creator and EP left before season 8, a season that felt very out of place and unnatural.
    Yeah, I loved that series, but the last season was literally unwatchable. I've never seen a show crash so hard so quickly. Andrew Marlowe left the show, Stana Katic semi left the show, and it just crashed and burned. The rumored behind-the-scenes drama between the two leads probably didn't help things either.

BANNED

Pose - I posted this elsewhere, but to me it felt like this show lacked some kinda...oomph. I can’t fully describe it. It was well acted, and seemed like a true “reflection of the times” (no first-hand knowledge), but...idk. Watched the season finale without even knowing it was a season finale...then realized a week later that that was it.

Do certain seasons of American Horror Story count, given the format used?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor
    Evangelion
    Gunslinger Girl
    Upotte!!
    Rozen Maiden
    The Saga of Tanya the Evil, known in Japan as Yōjo Senki
    Oku-sama wa Joshikousei
    Kodomo no Jikan
    Ranma 1/2
    Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Love is Like after the Rain)
    Isekai Shokudou (Restaurant to Another World)

Most of those shows have rather stopped than finished.
    Knowing where the manga went after Kodomo no Jikan anime stopped I doubt it would have aired on TV.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Battlestar Galactica reboot. That show was so good the first few season but then you started to see they had no long term end goal in sight. That last season was just them pulling dumb ideas out of their butts one after the other because they were just making it up as they went along. That finale was the worst. It was just so stupid on just about every level and them trying to force that "it will all happen again and again" message just fell so flat.

A few years ago, I binge watched the first season and part of the second season of "Lost" while I was on vacation. The problem was twofold. First, there were the flashbacks to establish that everybody in the regular cast was a basket case to the point of being numb and not caring at all the stuff. Secondly, there was the feeling that the whole thing was already so convoluted that there was going to be no way to explain how all of this was possible without falling back on some sort of cliche cheat non-explanation which is what I'm told happened. Or, putting it another way, I "Lost" interest.

"Buffy" also lost it for me during the last two seasons although it had some great individual episodes including the musical. I was watching "Hell's Bells" which was the one where Xander left Anya at the alter and, as he walked away and the episode was ending, I had this strange and unexpected reaction that certainly was not what the episode intended. I started laughing. I remember thinking, "Oh, okay, I see now what this is. Every single character in the entire show has to hit absolute bottom of the barrel and maybe beneath the bottom of the barrel. There cannot be so much as one character in the entire show that has anything working out right or being happy. It's descended into nothing but a cliche soap opera of the most obvious kind. In a way, it always was but it's pushed it to the melodramatic extremes."

Angel in it's last season had the same problems to a large degree. But Whedon always had that sanctimonious attitude that "I give people what they need, not what they want" as if he were a wise teacher/ philosopher and his audience were children. No Joss, you're a good action/ adventure/ soap opera/ comedy writer with occasional delusions of grandeur.

I would not say that "Xena" went south in the end although the more it deviated from it's premise and it's parent show, the less I cared for it.

But it's rather common for shows to deteriorate as they go on for too long. In the old days of episodic television, that often came from running out of ideas and repeating them. More recently, it can come from staying fresh but only by the show becoming drastically different from what made people love it to begin with or falling back onto more and more extreme soap opera tactics.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    I can understand where you are coming from on that as my own opinion of the last season of Wonder Woman has gone back and forth several times. I guess what bothers me the most is how Season 3 was stripping away all the main parts of Wonder Wonder and turning it into a generic 70's action show. And had that's especially telling with what they were planning for Season 4 with Diana moving to the California IDAC getting a "cute wise cracking kid" added to the cast.
    I remember the first season of WW when they had the alien Andros played with sophistication, subtlety and acting skill by Tim O'Connor. I thought a sad indication of what the modern version was going to be was shown when Andros returned but now he's a boring 20 something action hero and presented as if that's what he had always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    I remember the first season of WW when they had the alien Andros played with sophistication, subtlety and acting skill by Tim O'Connor. I thought a sad indication of what the modern version was going to be was shown when Andros returned but now he's a boring 20 something action hero and presented as if that's what he had always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The Battlestar Galactica reboot. That show was so good the first few season but then you started to see they had no long term end goal in sight. That last season was just them pulling dumb ideas out of their butts one after the other because they were just making it up as they went along. That finale was the worst. It was just so stupid on just about every level and them trying to force that "it will all happen again and again" message just fell so flat.
    I also started out thinking of how much better it was than the original (or, perhaps, really equating "realism" as automatically being better than fun fantasy) and yet, after a couple of seasons, my interest in it faded and I never have watched all of it although I've seen all of the original and even *cringe* 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    All but the last season of Castle were really good. The creator and EP left before season 8, a season that felt very out of place and unnatural.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah, I loved that series, but the last season was literally unwatchable. I've never seen a show crash so hard so quickly. Andrew Marlowe left the show, Stana Katic semi left the show, and it just crashed and burned. The rumored behind-the-scenes drama between the two leads probably didn't help things either.
    I mean, season 6 and 7 turned the show into weird sci-fi nonsense. Cryyogenics, man-made flawless diamond, invisibility suit, telekenisis, time-travel, parallel universes?! I still can't believe someone in the creative room proposed these ideas and it boggles my mind that they allowed them to be aired.

It also became really silly in general. There was an episode with ninjas, like actual ninjas, with black attire and shurikens and all. There was an episode with a guy with fire-fetish and everyone's taking it way too seriously. It's unintentionally hilarious.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 08-02-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

LOST -- Easily the biggest. The last season (esp. the last half of the last season where it became clear they weren't going to resolve anything) was trash. I'll never watch a Lindeloff/Cuse TV project ever again.

Walking Dead -- It suddenly got so slow and plodding. All the fan favorites are leaving/being killed off. Too dreary and dark with no happiness.

Sliders -- WTF it wasn't even the same show by the end. They should have just ended it when Jerry O'Connell didn't want to come back.

Small Disappointments: Supergirl, Arrow, Charmed, Agents of Shield, Battlestar Galactica

I can accept Arrow and Charmed more because of the longevity of the show.