Default Wonder Woman + Justice League Dark #1 Preview

Incredible Member

Thank you for posting this! I'm really looking forward to this storyline. And those triple-bodied women are scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Thank you for posting this! I'm really looking forward to this storyline. And those triple-bodied women are scary.
    Yep. Wonder if they took inspiration from the video game The Forest. Don't want to post it, as it most likely would not be good for me. But just look up The Forest Mutants, and you'll see the resemblances.

So the witches of Hecate branded Diana with something. And in Justice League Dark, it allowed her to repel a being made of magic (for now). Very interesting to see where this goes. And with Detective Chimp, Zatanna, Constantine, Swamp Thing, and of all people, Man Bat in tow, its been a good read so far.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This story seems very contrived and manufactured to me. Diana has been fighting mystical beings(Ares, Circe, The White Magician, The Queen of Fables, The Cheetah, etc.) for a very long time and she first shows the ability to repel a magical creature 2 months before this crossover starts?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

I confess im not really wowed by what Justice League Dark has presented thus far. I mean its not exactly covering new ground or doing anything different from the team Constantine led some years back. Heck it has half the roster from that team if you count Constantine himself.

As it is the series opened with the idea that magic sticks to the shadows and is this dark scary thing and Diana was objecting to that...Yet so far the series is exactly that and it feels kinda status quo for how magic has been presented in more recent stuff.

Meanwhile Geoff Johns is apparently going to cover whimsy and wonder with his Marvel family book and explore seven magical realms and I can't help but be envious of that and wish Justice league Dark was something more than PG-13 Constantine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I confess im not really wowed by what Justice League Dark has presented thus far. I mean its not exactly covering new ground or doing anything different from the team Constantine led some years back. Heck it has half the roster from that team if you count Constantine himself.

As it is the series opened with the idea that magic sticks to the shadows and is this dark scary thing and Diana was objecting to that...Yet so far the series is exactly that and it feels kinda status quo for how magic has been presented in more recent stuff.

Meanwhile Geoff Johns is apparently going to cover whimsy and wonder with his Marvel family book and explore seven magical realms and I can't help but be envious of that and wish Justice league Dark was something more than PG-13 Constantine.
    If anything, its actually saying magic is going haywire, with those that had used it all their lives with no issues, suddenly are being killed by their own magic. Diana even saved Zatanna from meeting such a fate in the first book. Zatanna, one of the most powerful magic users in DC. Someone who knows her own abilities better than Batman knows Gotham. Her own magic wrenched from her control and nearly killed her and her audience.

So, its not so much that "magic sticks to the shadows", its that each magic user would prefer to settle things on their own.

I mean if something is wrong with magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Welcome to being a jaded old reader, where it is harder and harder to find the original and new storylines.

While the plot is not terribly original, Tynion brings its own twists and turns to it, and both characterisation, storytelling technique, and art have generally been of high quality.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like the premise of the new Justice League Dark - trying to get magic back under control but I'm not a huge fan of the current roster. Man-Bat seems very out of place being that his powers come from science while Detective Chimp doesn't really offer much beyond comic relief. I don't like Zatanna's new appearance(hate the fishnets on the arms & the braid just doesn't look appealing on her IMO). I've also made my comments about The Witching Hour storyline above so I won't reiterate them. That being said, the writing has been solid and the art is slightly above average. I really liked what they did with Nabu/Dr. Fate in issue #2 although I hope Kent regains control and puts Nabu on "mute" for a few decades. I'd also like to see the roster expanded to officially include:

Constantine(I think it would be fun to watch him & Diana butt heads on moral issues)
    Etrigan
    Frankenstein
    I...Vampire
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I like the premise of the new Justice League Dark - trying to get magic back under control but I'm not a huge fan of the current roster. Man-Bat seems very out of place being that his powers come from science while Detective Chimp doesn't really offer much beyond comic relief. I don't like Zatanna's new appearance(hate the fishnets on the arms & the braid just doesn't look appealing on her IMO). I've also made my comments about The Witching Hour storyline above so I won't reiterate them. That being said, the writing has been solid and the art is slightly above average. I really liked what they did with Nabu/Dr. Fate in issue #2 although I hope Kent regains control and puts Nabu on "mute" for a few decades. I'd also like to see the roster expanded to officially include:

Constantine(I think it would be fun to watch him & Diana butt heads on moral issues)
    Etrigan
    Frankenstein
    I...Vampire
    Well, Constantine has been in the series thus far. Chimp is there because he's been holding onto a magic sword, and Man Bat seems to be the comedy relief with Chimp. And as a man of science, but an open mind, he's been fascinated by what magic can do. Even when it turn a bunch of dead cadavers into eldritch abominations, he was more like a giddy school girl shown a new emoji than taken aback in horror. Not exactly a common trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, Constantine has been in the series thus far. Chimp is there because he's been holding onto a magic sword, and Man Bat seems to be the comedy relief with Chimp. And as a man of science, but an open mind, he's been fascinated by what magic can do. Even when it turn a bunch of dead cadavers into eldritch abominations, he was more like a giddy school girl shown a new emoji than taken aback in horror. Not exactly a common trait.
    This is pretty much a team of misfits, but they all have different ties to horror, myths, or magic. I'm not sure Man-Bat is so much comedy relief (though he has some of those elements) as the emotional core of the team. It was he who jumped to assist Wonder Woman when no-one else was interested in working with her, it is he who cares about the other members and the people they find, and so on.

Anyway, I had guessed that we would have received another flashback for another member of the team with this issue, but it's largely a retread of the one from JLD #1 (except for two new pages with Hippolyta's reaction). I still think we will get someone else of the team for a flashback in the future, but the next issues are Wonder Woman-centric as well.