View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 9.09%
  • ★ ★

2 9.09%
  • ★ ★ ★

7 31.82%
  • ★ ★ ★ ★

11 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman # 55 review

What do you all think about this issue?

I enjoyed this arc, and the art, very much. I do have to say, I feel kinda of salty that Diana didn't' give that particular gift to Donna. But since they are no longer sisters, I guess she wouldn't have. Nice bit of continuity there.
    Richard Alexander

Heh. Giving Artemis the Lasso of Submission was a nice touch. I just hope other writers remember she has it. Orlando has a decent run.

I call BS that a pair of flaming swords were able to slice through a magical artifact that embodies the sun itself. Honestly it felt like Orlando had to make some effort to justify Rustram being a threat to a Diana and Artemis team up.

That nitpick aside I found it to be an overall enjoyable issue. It sets up some interesting elements which could be used by future writers and it was a good enough arc that I could see that happening. Given how the Bana are so infrequently used, I don't see anyone being in a rush to retcon stuff away at least

I probably forget something is Superwoman's lasso different from Wonder Woman's lasso? I wonder how Bana's will change. Diana's aunt Atalanta is still alive. SO are the Bana's still mortal or are some immortal?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I probably forget something is Superwoman's lasso different from Wonder Woman's lasso? I wonder how Bana's will change. Diana's aunt Atalanta is still alive. SO are the Bana's still mortal or are some immortal?
    Unlike Wonder Womans magic lasso which got a huge nerf when post crisis happened, Superwomans lasso still has all of the powers that Wonder Womans posessed back during pre crisis.

As for the Amazons, unclear. traditionally the Bana are mortal with some exceptions, and its suggested that Atalanta is immortal because she has pledged her service to an Egyptian god. So it might be that some Bana are immortal if they have a gods blessings but others could be mortal? This is however speculation as we don't really know. Not helped in that these Bana Amazons appear to still have powers which makes that question difficult to know the answer to.

It's sometimes been a little...clunky?...getting to this point, but the ending of this storyline has contained some of my favorite moments between Diana and Artemis. I daresay it may even be superior to a lot of their pre-Flashpoint relationship.

Overall? Super happy about how Orlando's sure tenure on WW has gone.

It was a good story with some nice moments & a few exceptions that prevented me from giving it a full 4 stars. I still did not care for the art & what ultimately became a white savior story.

I wasn't that impressed by Orlando's two final issues. I found the art uninspiring, and both establishing the conflict and its resolution was rushed through, apart from too many idiot balls being passed around. It also had more than a whiff of the mighty whitey saviour trope, with Diana and Atalanta saving the Bana-Mighdall from their black queen Faruka and her evil vizier Rustam, and with white Artemis the one of the corrupted Bana-Mighdall Amazons that Diana finds worthy as her peer.

You guys ready for Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I wasn't that impressed by Orlando's two final issues. I found the art uninspiring, and both establishing the conflict and its resolution was rushed through, apart from too many idiot balls being passed around. It also had more than a whiff of the mighty whitey saviour trope, with Diana and Atalanta saving the Bana-Mighdall from their black queen Faruka and her evil vizier Rustam, and with white Artemis the one of the corrupted Bana-Mighdall Amazons that Diana finds worthy as her peer.
    Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on this. It was really the most disappointing aspect of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You guys ready for Wilson
    I think so. For good or ill I want a consistent creative team on the book for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on this. It was really the most disappointing aspect of this story.
    Caught it too. Art was, geh. And most of the Banas were "Derp, war! For war! Because random guy popped in and told us too!"

Didn't catch on to the "mighty whitey" thing, but looking back on it...
    Yeesh.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Isn't Artemis not supposed to be white as well? I love the way she was drawn in Earth One.

Artemis_(Earth-1)_001.jpg

Also, sounds like this story could have used some other sympathetic Bana Amazons like Nehebka and Anaya. The white savior thing sounds really unfortunate.

I can only judge Artemis here on how she is presented in this particular comic, but I believe she is depicted as white in New 52.

Arguably, the easiest way to avoid the white saviour trope here would have been to make Atalanta coloured in some way, especially since she was a one-off character introduced for this arc.

Come to think of it, I'd say that amongst DC's Trinity, Diana is really the easiest to racebend. Superman is built around passing as white American while being an alien, and Batman is built around established privilege. But I'd guess that would have to wait for an elseworlds story to even test.