Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default The Seeds (Dark Horse)

Did anyone else pick up issue 1 of this 4-parter? I took a chance on it today, and I'm glad I did. Unlike many other first issues, this one actually answered (or at least gave hints) some important questions about what was going on. I just hope there are still more mysteries to come.

I bought it on a whim and... Just wow. Between this and She Could Fly, Dark Horse have some of the best minis starting at the moment! I absolutely loved this and can't wait for the second issue! I think it stands a chance of being one of 2018's best comics. The writing is spectacular and the art is beautiful, together they combine to create something perfect.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Yeah, I loved it. Really looking forward to issue 2 and seeing where it goes.

No surprise, but Aja killed it. Reminded me of what Mazzuccelli did on his City of Glass adaptation. Have to assume it was am imfluence.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I, too, enjoyed this first issue. A lot is put forward, and some of it explained, certainly enough to base a series on. And yeah, looks pretty, too!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I thought it was good. Nice art. The writing was purposefully obscure. But still just clear enough to follow. That is a fine line that some writers go over, making the writing impenetrable. I have faith that Nocenti is good enough to avoid that.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Just read the second issue and it's definitively one of my favourite books in years. Wonderful writing and art in perfect interaction and great themes for a very intriguing story. I love it!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Well this is not a feel good book. Pretty grim and dark.
    I really didlike the reporter and her editor. And the aliens are not "friendlies".
    I wonder why they chose the monotone pallette for the color.
    A simple pallette is fine, but just the gray makes it a Black and White book.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Just finished #2. This is comics done right.

Issue 1 was so bizarre but entertaining that I had to stay onboard for issue 2. I feel it's important to support the more 'out there' titles because the comics world needs more variety.

I'm really bummed about how long it's taking for issue 3 to come out.

I know Aja is slow, but I thought they had a lot of lead time on this.

When I first read issues 1 and 2 my reaction was something like, "Interesting - I'll stick with this." Just a couple weeks ago I re-read them and they really clicked for me this time and I thought, "This is amazing!" It's only a 4-issue mini, right? Kind of wish it was going longer - hard to see how they'll wrap things up given the slow-burn storytelling. On the other hand, if the whole thing were longer we'd probably go crazy waiting for each new issue.

The wait is disappointing, but the quality of the existing two issues is so high that I’ll happily wait for the next two, however long they take.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Just trying to be patient. Quality is worth waiting for. That said, it'd be nice if--especially with short series as this is said to be--issue one was released only when work on the series could be seen as all-but-completed.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

IT’S FINALLY OUT!!!

According the Aja on Instagram...

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    IT’S FINALLY OUT!!!

According the Aja on Instagram...
    It is and it is fantastic.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.