Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    More like the "native" culture being swamped by mass immigration and the migrants refusing (or having difficulty) to assimilate into the host society's language and culture
    Looks like a reality check is needed here. Some thousand of migrants aren't going to erase the centuries old cultures of the millions of people already living in Europe. Ain't gonna happen pal.

Don't you worry about your baguette, your Bratkartoffeln and i'm pretty sure that no one is going to destroy those lovely Polish dolls you can find in Warsaw.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Because those cultures have been around for centuries and it's not like they were completely isolationists. They aren't going anywhere in the next generation because of some immigrants. And no one is trying to dismantle the dominant cultures of those countries, that's just fear talking.
    Actually you'd be shocked to see that there are SOME far-left politicians in Europe who really sincerely say these things:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNUJlJaN7c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDWAaxFnCA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S8041PmNgM

For the third clip on youtube, it's an Islam scholar Lamya Kaddor saying that there will be no more "Blonde Germans" and that "being German" no longer means being "Blonde" or whatever. Can't find a frickin' English clip.

I'm not saying that ALL leftist politicians share the above sentiment and I know that anyone with a sane mind, left or right, would not genuinely call for the destruction of the native culture of host societies in Europe, but just throwing it out that there are a few people crazy enough to say such things.

If there's anything wrong I got, please feel free to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    It sounds like your friend is putting a very negative spin on things. I love having people from other cultures moving to ours and enriching our culture. Nothing British is lost, but we gain a whole load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Looks like a reality check is needed here. Some thousand of migrants aren't going to erase the centuries old cultures of the millions of people already living in Europe. Ain't gonna happen pal.

Don't you worry about your baguette, your Bratkartoffeln and i'm pretty sure that no one is going to destroy those lovely Polish dolls you can find in Warsaw.
    I have nothing against that, I'm all for immigration, and I know that Jews have contributed a great deal to both North American and European culture, such as Einstein (do Jews count as white?) and I confidently KNOW that the probability of such things aren't going to truly happen anytime soon, but I just wanted to reaffirm to my American friend that being PRO-DIVERSITY and PRO-MULTICULTURAL DOES NOT EQUATE to being against, neglecting, or eroding the original native demographic and host culture (similar to Native Americans of USA and Canada). With all these political conflicts going on in Europe, my friend feels a little personal about all this on an identity level.
    Last edited by Adrian Fomble; 09-18-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Invincible Member

Actually you'd be shocked to see that there are SOME far-left politicians in Europe who really sincerely say these things:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNUJlJaN7c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDWAaxFnCA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S8041PmNgM

For the third clip on youtube, it's an Islam scholar Lamya Kaddor saying that there will be no more "Blonde Germans" and that "being German" no longer means being "Blonde" or whatever. Can't find a frickin' English clip.

I'm not saying that ALL leftist politicians share the above sentiment and I know that anyone with a sane mind, left or right, would not genuinely call for the destruction of the native culture of host societies in Europe, but just throwing it out that there are a few people crazy enough to say such things.

If there's anything wrong I got, please feel free to correct me.

I have nothing against that, I'm all for immigration, and I know that Jews have contributed a great deal to both North American and European culture, such as Einstein (do Jews count as white?) and I confidently KNOW that the probability of such things aren't going to truly happen anytime soon, but I just wanted to reaffirm to my American friend that being PRO-DIVERSITY and PRO-MULTICULTURAL DOES NOT EQUATE to being against, neglecting, or eroding the original native demographic and host culture (similar to Native Americans of USA and Canada). With all these political conflicts going on in Europe, my friend feels a little personal about all this on an identity level.
    I don't know the first guy's other policies, but in that clip all he's saying is to come to some anti-Nazi rally. I don't see anything crazy or even anti-dominant culture in that.

Second clip, I get that some people get afraid when people say that in a generation or two the ethnic make up of their country may change because they are afraid that it means they themselves will become displaced, but it's just not going to happen.

Third clip, yeah...I don't understand German.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I don't consider my self conservative or liberal. I may not even be a moderate.
    LOL, what the hell does that even MEAN?!?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    LOL, what the hell does that even MEAN?!?
    Would you be interested in joining the Unicorn party?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

BANNED

I don't know the first guy's other policies, but in that clip all he's saying is to come to some anti-Nazi rally. I don't see anything crazy or even anti-dominant culture in that.
    But later in the clip, the first guy said in the subtitles that more native Germans die than are being born and that that was a fortunate thing. Call me crazy, but isn't that kind of almost the same thing as wishing Germans were no longer the majority of their own country? Although I could be wrong.

Second clip, I get that some people get afraid when people say that in a generation or two the ethnic make up of their country may change because they are afraid that it means they themselves will become displaced, but it's just not going to happen.
    Yeah that's exactly what my American friend was talking about and that's actually what I actually want to tell him. And I agree it's unlikely going to come to pass and I kinda like it that someone is telling those right-wing jerks something, BUT I personally felt it didn't have to be in that sort of that way. Don't get me wrong, guys, I DO believe in multiculturalism and immigration, but it has to come with a degree of at least linguistic and educational if not great cultural integration as well as basic respect for the host culture (or at least the native majority demographics has the right to preservation and proudness of their roots as long as it doesn't entail racism or hate against others) and for free speech (though that doesn't mean agreeing with or paying attention to right-wing fanatic a-holes, they're giving the Germans a bad name).

Third clip, yeah...I don't understand German.
    I don't understand German either, but from what I gathered in the translations from others, the lady was outright claiming that being "German" in the future will mean no more having blue eyes and light hair and that being German means wearing a hijab and having black hair (well there are a lot of native Germans who have black hair and other hair colors, but you get my point). Multiculturalism is always a good thing, but the idea of it doesn't need to come at the potential expense of the host nation or culture is what my friend was trying to get at (and with that line of reasoning, I really do feel sorry for the Native Americans in the United States). Thing is I respect and cherish all races and cultures and believe that they all have the right to exist and Europe's are no exception.

But I'm glad we both kinda agree that when it comes to these sociopolitical and cultural issues, nothing is ever black and white.

Invincible Member

But later in the clip, the first guy said in the subtitles that more native Germans die than are being born and that that was a fortunate thing. Call me crazy, but isn't that kind of almost the same thing as wishing Germans were no longer the majority of their own country? Although I could be wrong.

Yeah that's exactly what my American friend was talking about and that's actually what I actually want to tell him. And I agree it's unlikely going to come to pass and I kinda like it that someone is telling those right-wing jerks something, BUT I personally felt it didn't have to be in that sort of that way. Don't get me wrong, guys, I DO believe in multiculturalism and immigration, but it has to come with a degree of at least linguistic and educational if not great cultural integration as well as basic respect for the host culture (or at least the native majority demographics has the right to preservation and proudness of their roots as long as it doesn't entail racism or hate against others) and for free speech (though that doesn't mean agreeing with or paying attention to right-wing fanatic a-holes, they're giving the Germans a bad name).

I don't understand German either, but from what I gathered in the translations from others, the lady was outright claiming that being "German" in the future will mean no more having blue eyes and light hair and that being German means wearing a hijab and having black hair (well there are a lot of native Germans who have black hair and other hair colors, but you get my point). Multiculturalism is always a good thing, but the idea of it doesn't need to come at the potential expense of the host nation or culture is what my friend was trying to get at (and with that line of reasoning, I really do feel sorry for the Native Americans in the United States). Thing is I respect and cherish all races and cultures and believe that they all have the right to exist and Europe's are no exception.

But I'm glad we both kinda agree that when it comes to these sociopolitical and cultural issues, nothing is ever black and white.
    It seemed like a sloppy translation. I took to mean that it's good that Nazis aren't good at reproduction.

And I don't think that on the whole immigrants are refusing to assimilate or adapt to their host countries.

BANNED

It seemed like a sloppy translation. I took to mean that it's good that Nazis aren't good at reproduction.
    Yeah, agreed, but he seemed to extend his statement to the Germans as a whole.

And I don't think that on the whole immigrants are refusing to assimilate or adapt to their host countries.
    Well what about the Arab or Muslim immigrants in Sweden who are completely segregating themselves from most of the Swedish natives in their own neighborhoods (and no-go zones) speaking only Arabic or whatever other different language their Middle-Eastern country of origin speaks and refusing to learn Swedish? And the Anti-Semitic attacks on Jews in the country?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JDMxK5uNU

^ While I don't agree with everything the video says (but it has a good point about political and ethnic clashing), I think it's not only the native majority in a country that can be affected, but also other minorities too, including members of the same group as the "attackers" who just want to live peacefully.
    Last edited by Adrian Fomble; 09-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Well what about the Arab or Muslim immigrants in Sweden who are completely segregating themselves from most of the Swedish natives in their own neighborhoods (and no-go zones) speaking only Arabic or whatever other different language their Middle-Eastern country of origin speaks and refusing to learn Swedish? And the Anti-Semitic attacks on Jews in the country?

^ While I don't agree with everything the video says (but it has a good point about political and ethnic clashing), I think it's not only the native majority in a country that can be affected, but also other minorities too, including members of the same group as the "attackers" who just want to live peacefully.
    Why are you taking that 7 year old video seriously? Robertson has blamed natural disasters and practically everything bad on homosexuality, I think he's gone senile.

Have you actually looked up anything from a more nuanced or accurate source recently or are you just trusting the lies and misinterpretations your 'american friend' has swallowed whole? He seems to be one of those conservatives that believes anything Trump, the GoP, or the Religious Right say without question, and from what you describe he might be the sort to resort to violence.

Clean and sober from GOP membership since 2004.

They really went off the rails since 1999.

They don't even represent the fiscal side of conservatism anymore.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Why are you taking that 7 year old video seriously? Robertson has blamed natural disasters and practically everything bad on homosexuality, I think he's gone senile.

Have you actually looked up anything from a more nuanced or accurate source recently or are you just trusting the lies and misinterpretations your 'american friend' has swallowed whole? He seems to be one of those conservatives that believes anything Trump, the GoP, or the Religious Right say without question, and from what you describe he might be the sort to resort to violence.
    Hey man, no need to jump onto conclusions like a trampoline. My friend is not some hateful person and I don't actually agree with everything he says (in fact I actually doubt that some of the things he said is nearly 100% true). Also, I admit the video wasn't the best example to bring up, I will give you that and I'm sorry about that (I was in a bloody rush to get back to work), but the point was not so much on what the video (or that Pat Robertson, whoever that guy was) said as much as what I have inquired above concerning how SOME number of immigrants seclude themselves from the mainstream population and don't want to speak the language. I was trying to find a video to show what my friend was getting at about clashes between the natives and the immigrants and how this problem has to be addressed otherwise both sides of the population and the political spectrum will just continue going to war with each other.

Tl;dr: I was simply responding to ed2962's point about the contrary to his point on how there aren't immigrants refusing to adapt to host countries or cultures.

Hey man, no need to jump onto conclusions like a trampoline. My friend is not some hateful person and I don't actually agree with everything he says (in fact I actually doubt that some of the things he said is nearly 100% true). Also, I admit the video wasn't the best example to bring up, I will give you that and I'm sorry about that (I was in a bloody rush to get back to work), but the point was not so much on what the video (or that Pat Robertson, whoever that guy was) said as much as what I have inquired above concerning how SOME number of immigrants seclude themselves from the mainstream population and don't want to speak the language. I was trying to find a video to show what my friend was getting at about clashes between the natives and the immigrants and how this problem has to be addressed otherwise both sides of the population and the political spectrum will just continue going to war with each other.
    The source matters, both from your friend who you've said goes on about Globalist Jews, George Soros, his fear of his culture being eroded/erased, and other alt-right talking points and from Pat Robertson. In a rush or not you should do a teeny bit of legwork before you post sources which you say have 'some good points' when they are nuttier than the proverbial loon and biased as Infowars. The people and cultures that share certain opinions show the sort of mindset that would hold those opinions in the first place, so before you accept them or use them to advocate yourself you should look into them because people will assume you already have whether you actually did or not. BTW I don't think there is evidence of even 10% or so 'refusing' (Ed specifically said "as a whole") to adapt.

Tl;dr: I was simply responding to ed2962's point about the contrary to his point on how there aren't immigrants refusing to adapt to host countries or cultures.
    tl;dr look up better resources that show what you want to say, liars abound on the internet so the source very much matters.

Invincible Member

I don't have any handy links to show causation between Swedish crime rates and immigration, but I think that clip was biased and alarmist. It's almost funny how many times the announcer kept trying to paint everyone as "leftists". Keep in mind Pat Robertson is the guy who said that 9/11 happened in the US because or society was becoming too tolerant of homosexuals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    The source matters, both from your friend who you've said goes on about Globalist Jews, George Soros, his fear of his culture being eroded/erased, and other alt-right talking points and from Pat Robertson. In a rush or not you should do a teeny bit of legwork before you post sources which you say have 'some good points' when they are nuttier than the proverbial loon and biased as Infowars. The people and cultures that share certain opinions show the sort of mindset that would hold those opinions in the first place, so before you accept them or use them to advocate yourself you should look into them because people will assume you already have whether you actually did or not. BTW I don't think there is evidence of even 10% or so 'refusing' (Ed specifically said "as a whole") to adapt.

tl;dr look up better resources that show what you want to say, liars abound on the internet so the source very much matters.
    I didn't say that Pat Robertson himself was a man with good points, I meant that some of the stuff that he said that a lot of other people say based on their observation of the situation that are blatantly obvious was a bit true. But fair enough, I concede that Pat Roberston is part of the loony American Religious Right and that he shouldn't be trusted on issues like this and in retrospect, it was a mistake for me to link that vid.

I support all migrants that want to live peacefully and escape persecution in their home countries, but my main point was referring to the ones that are already here in countries like Sweden that prefer to segregate themselves in their boxes, being adamantly unwilling to adapt to the host culture and majority language itself and some of the extremist groups that are causing a ruckus (but it is important to stress the difference between normal muslims and the radical fringe groups giving their community a bad name).

I didn't say that Pat Robertson himself was a man with good points, I meant that some of the stuff that he said that a lot of other people say based on their observation of the situation that are blatantly obvious was a bit true. But fair enough, I concede that Pat Roberston is part of the loony American Religious Right and that he shouldn't be trusted on issues like this and in retrospect, it was a mistake for me to link that vid.

I support all migrants that want to live peacefully and escape persecution in their home countries, but my main point was referring to the ones that are already here in countries like Sweden that prefer to segregate themselves in their boxes, being adamantly unwilling to adapt to the host culture and majority language itself and some of the extremist groups that are causing a ruckus (but it is important to stress the difference between normal muslims and the radical fringe groups giving their community a bad name).
    This is typical of first generations of immigrants. It is the history here in America. Later generations assimilate while also bringing some of their culture into the host country.
    Italian and Chinese food didn't become the favorite foods in America because the British liked them.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!