Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

The refusal of the State to do what really needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Keeping poor Americans fat, tired, and overworked is one of the ways the system maintains itself.
    Not to mention pushing the real work onto foreign slave labor.

BANNED

For the left-leaning people here who disagree with the Far-Left, is cultural appropriation really a thing? Are all the upset backlash against celebrities wearing "ethnic" costumes like Native Indians and Chinese at some costume party justified or overreactive?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I'm ultra-Left, but in all honesty, in my opinion, the primary purpose of a culture is to be appropriated. I don't think wearing an outfit, hairstyle, etc. qualifies as appropriating a culture, however.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    For the left-leaning people here who disagree with the Far-Left, is cultural appropriation really a thing? Are all the upset backlash against celebrities wearing "ethnic" costumes like Native Indians and Chinese at some costume party justified or overreactive?
    Demonizing cultural appropriation is just segregation with extra steps. Dislike this idea that's been presented there's something inherently wrong about cultures imitating aspects of each others way of life. The people who argue against cultural enrichment because they view it as appropriation, I've noticed as a trend, tend to see certain ethnicities as less capable than others and have an infantilizing savior complex towards them, complete with divisive rhetoric that creates tensions, worsens any historical issues there's been attempts to heal from and move past. Being anti cultural appropriation tend to signal attempts to achieve equality, from that person, is going to result in efforts counterproductive to that goal and the person will more often than not have character flaws keeping them from realizing that.

There's nothing to fear from cultural appropriation and no physical harm. It's acceptance, the opposite of rejection

BANNED

Cultural exchange and cultural appropriation are different things.
    The first is awesome, while the second goes hand in hand with large power imbalances between the cultures involved, and perhaps would better be called cultural exploitation..

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I think people who want universal health care should vote for candidates who want universal health care.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fomble View Post
    I generally agree with the far-left, but I've yet to see any convincing argument that cultural appropriation isn't a load of bollocks.

Obviously, a white person walking down the string wearing a native American head-dress will look like a bit of a twat, but I'm generally against any rule that allows some groups of people to do, say or wear something, but not other groups.

I'm left-wing, so my party is generally Labour (except in the Tony Blair days when Labour stepped to the right of the Lib Dems), so...

With Labour (and specifically Jeremy Corbyn), they don't want a second referendum on Brexit, which I strongly disagree with. They won with a meagre 52% of the vote, when it wasn't clear what Brexit actually was. Now we've got a clearer idea which should reconsider the decision.

Also, it's always been Labour who have blocked attempts to get rid of the stupid Sunday Closing laws. I definitely oppose that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    I think people who want universal health care should vote for candidates who want universal health care.
    So do I.
    But what if there aren't any candidates who go for that but rather fix/improve existing systems? That's not an uncommon situation for an American voter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    So do I.
    But what if there aren't any candidates who go for that but rather fix/improve existing systems? That's not an uncommon situation for an American voter.
    If you don't think that all people should be able to get treated for illnesses they have no control over, are you really a good person? I don't think so, so why should I elect you to make other important decisions about people's lives?
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

If you don't think that all people should be able to get treated for illnesses they have no control over, are you really a good person? I don't think so, so why should I elect you to make other important decisions about people's lives?
    But... that's practically copy/pasted from the platform of basically any Democrat running this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But... that's practically copy/pasted from the platform of basically any Democrat running this year.
    Ok, but what about the ones who don't
    Baby Thanos

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I think people who amuse others by holding their breaths about an issue until they are purple in the face shouldn't take that act on the road to other threads.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I think people who amuse others by holding their breaths about an issue until they are purple in the face shouldn't take that act on the road to other threads.
    Baby Thanos