Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    *Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

Hackity hack hack hack, this was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    Hackity hack hack hack, this was awful.
    What did you hate about it in particular?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member

Just tried a re read to see how it went

Thought the interaction of John and wyatt was great

Thought John's reaction to bens question was shocking and a poor rendering of his character even given his hot headed manner, but I suppose it was a short hand way to show his desperate state

still feel, given the context, that bens proposal felt like he did it as an after thought or as a back up plan rather than he really wants it, I know that's not true for the character but the framing made me feel that way about it

Loved reed and sues interaction next to a great shot of a very reed invention, has reminded me of how much I've missed the world's smartest scientific mind and how much I've missed sue being the mother of the marvel heroes

The ending still didn't click for me, it just didn't make me desperate to read issue 2 like I feel a good first issue should imo

Good art, not great

Good comic but not a great first issue imo
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-16-2018 at 03:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    What did you hate about it in particular?
    I'm sure they just hated it for the sake of hating it.

I mean, honestly. If someone reads this issue, which features skilled, lovely writing with art to match and their only response is that it was hacky, that's just kneejerk negativity.

I can accept some disappointment that the whole team wasn't together right away, even if I don't think it's anything to be over the top about. But hacky? That's not even in the ballpark of valid criticism.

Even if the issue isn't to one's taste or if you had expectations that weren't met, you have to concede the level of craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm sure they just hated it for the sake of hating it.

I mean, honestly. If someone reads this issue, which features skilled, lovely writing with art to match and their only response is that it was hacky, that's just kneejerk negativity.

I can accept some disappointment that the whole team wasn't together right away, even if I don't think it's anything to be over the top about. But hacky? That's not even in the ballpark of valid criticism.

Even if the issue isn't to one's taste or if you had expectations that weren't met, you have to concede the level of craft.
    He may have a unique take on things. I agree that while I can understand some people felt disappointed or underwhelmed, I don't think it was badly written at all.

So I'm interested to see the opinion on why someone thinks it is.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

iMan 42s

It's not badly written, it's just that nothing besides Ben's proposal actually happens. I don't hate things to just hate them, and especially not with the price for this damned thing.

- The Fantastic Four aren't actually back and the issue ends on what is essentially an advertisement for the actual return.
    - Ben's proposal is something that just kind of happens, and while it is true to the character, if I didn't know who Alicia was why is this suddenly important to Ben?
    - The issue also doesn't actually tell a story either. The FF are gone and Ben moves on, and Johnny still has a stick up his ass, I.E Marvel two in one. Both get what they want (in terms of issue one) but what was actually accomplished here that couldn't have been in the other book or part of the actual return? Ben could've done this at any point so why was this so important to do now? In fact I'm told this has been a thing done before so why is it such a big deal here? Johnny is arguably a representation of the readers and given it's called Fantastic Four, why would I not expect the return of the Fantastic Four?
    - Ben Grimm's parts are well written but I question its necessity given apparent past history and the need for this to be in issue 1 which detracts from the thing most readers came to see. Not to mention that Johnny being proxy for the audience is kind of pointless because we know the FF are coming back. So seeing Johnny bitch about them not being here in issue 1 feels like padding. Yes they are on panel, but the whole family doesn't actually reunite. Nothing is actually accomplished.

Overall this issue is fine for those already on board. But the the book has some issues which keeps it from being perfect and especially for that asking price.I can't change my grading for it being a C-. It's too pricey for what it is and the writing doesn't justify itself. If you like it, that's fine, but it's not surprising it's a middle of the road comic that is overpriced.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

There certainly were pros and cons to this issue that keep it from being the second coming or the gates of hell.

The issue did a great job of showcasing the supporting cast of FF over the years. Fron Yancy Street to the Impossible Man, we see the wide range of folks they've connected with over the years.

The timing of reactions and the actual return were awkward. I admit it makes sense from a storytelling aspect and probably for looking at a first arc, but after three plus years, the first issue should have brought them together. Had the book come back right after Secret Wars. no problem at all. And as to the realization the Richards are still alive, that sort of renders MTIO moot.

The Pichelli cover was easily the best, especially as regards the cover of issue 645. With all of the variants, I needed one with a corner box and a 646. And yes, this is 100% fanboy entitlement.

I am incredibly glad the book is back. I (and some of the posters here) may well be overestimating the quality of the book because we're happy to see it. But any negatives I have about the book are those that do not appear to be continuing. Slott and Pichelli know their $#!+ and the future is looking bright.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It's not badly written, it's just that nothing besides Ben's proposal actually happens. I don't hate things to just hate them, and especially not with the price for this damned thing.
    I think you are mistaking a lack of action for a lack of incident. A lot happens in these pages. A very full story is told efficiently. I am going to address some of your points, not because they are invalid, but because your points are at least interesting and I think they have potential for exploring where we differ.

- Ben's proposal is something that just kind of happens, and while it is true to the character, if I didn't know who Alicia was why is this suddenly important to Ben?
    You either know who Alicia is or you don't. You almost certainly do know who she is so neither of us are the best qualified to comment on how those that don't know her will react.

What we can do is look to see if her character is established well, if Ben and her relationship is illuminated, if the proposal is paying off things set up in the earlier part of the story, and if the writing has an honesty that puts across genuine emotion that also illuminates his feelings about life without Reed and Sue.

I would answer yes to all of those things, so it doesn't "just happen" it happens with plenty of context, it is lead up to in the writing, and it happens at a well paced position in the story. There is even a slight misdirection crafted to catch the reader off-guard and create maximum pay-off (a little like a punchline would work in a joke). Maybe I am just a sentimentalist but the impact played very well for me personally, leaving me a little glassy eyed. I was emotionally invested by that point and that doesn't happen by accident.

-The issue also doesn't actually tell a story either.
    Of course it does. It has a beginning a middle and an end, it tells the story of how Ben and Johnny are dealing with their loss and highlights their specific dealings with grief. It does this in a slice of life style with a flashback for emotional resonance and provides some external context. Quite a lot happens.

The FF are gone and Ben moves on
    He doesn't just say "Oh well never mind" he has an emotional arc. He moves from a position where he feels stuck and unable to get on with his life (otherwise known as the depression stage of grief) towards consciously making a meaningful step forwards with his life (otherwise known as the testing stage of grief). He doesn't even just take that step. It is precipitated by a number of events in the story such that it feels natural and honest.

Johnny still has a stick up his ass
    The fan reaction to any portrayal of Johnny is always divisive, but I think many just didn't catch what was happing to him in this story. He is still in the denial stage of grief, he is being portrayed as less emotionally intelligent than Ben.

Denial is a highly fragile state, because a sudden reminder of loss, or noticing other people moving on can have huge emotional impact as the denial is made obvious.

The event that triggers him is seeing Ben move on. It is never easy when you are wallowing in grief and you see someone else move ahead of you in their emotional journey. It can feel like a betrayal. This launches him into another stage of grief, anger, but his fragility pushes him straight back into the shock of realisation and hints at a potential road to acceptance.

His anger isn't logical, he isn't really angry that Ben is getting married or even that he is moving on, he is angry with Reed and Sue and misdirecting it in an accusatory manner.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-16-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

Can’t remember the last time at the end of a comic that I generally got the chills and goosebumps after seeing that 4!

I Seriously enjoyed this issue more than I though. It was very grounded in the story of Ben and Jonny so well, The side story was a nice add of the ideal of finding your way home cause of love your family and love of home!

Also the proposal was so very sweet and by what I know of the fantastic four, a long time in coming in the waiting for it!

Marvel has not been the same without the fantastic four, they are truly Marvel’s Royal Family and after so long it feels like everything is becoming whole again from Marvel!

I’m very happy as a fan of the fantastic four and Mostly for long time fans of fantastic four!

Excellent 1st Issue!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 08-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Just tried a re read to see how it went

Thought the interaction of John and wyatt was great

Thought John's reaction to bens question was shocking and a poor rendering of his character even given his hot headed manner, but I suppose it was a short hand way to show his desperate state

still feel, given the context, that bens proposal felt like he did it as an after thought or as a back up plan rather than he really wants it, I know that's not true for the character but the framing made me feel that way about it

Loved reed and sues interaction next to a great shot of a very reed invention, has reminded me of how much I've missed the world's smartest scientific mind and how much I've missed sue being the mother of the marvel heroes

The ending still didn't click for me, it just didn't make me desperate to read issue 2 like I feel a good first issue should imo

Good art, not great

Good comic but not a great first issue imo

There is no story and they are no closer to finding out what happened to Reed and Sue than they were prior to the issue.

BANNED

I think you are mistaking a lack of action for a lack of incident.
    Actually, nothing happens... which is not how the FF works

BANNED

What we can do is look to see if her character is established well, if Ben and her relationship is illuminated, if the proposal is paying off things set up in the earlier part of the story, and if the writing has an honesty that puts across genuine emotion that also illuminates his feelings about life without Reed and Sue.
    It was just thrown into the storyline at random. It is not completely irrational, but there is no reason or it either and and it is incidental to the return of the FF, which is what this book should have been about. This whole thing is just a continuation of 2in1 and we still haven't seen the Fantastic Four reunited.... DUUUUDD

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There certainly were pros and cons to this issue that keep it from being the second coming or the gates of hell.

The issue did a great job of showcasing the supporting cast of FF over the years. Fron Yancy Street to the Impossible Man, we see the wide range of folks they've connected with over the years.

The timing of reactions and the actual return were awkward. I admit it makes sense from a storytelling aspect and probably for looking at a first arc, but after three plus years, the first issue should have brought them together.
    At the very least. Technically, this isn't even an FF story ... yet. Oh but wait for the next issue. Then they will have a year of figuring out if Richards and Sue are the real Richards and Sue... and just drag this c**p out for the rest of the decade.

The only place the FF showed up this month was on the cover of Captain America

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    There is no story and they are no closer to finding out what happened to Reed and Sue than they were prior to the issue.
    Isn't the story about how each of the 2 is missing the rest of the family and how they are "dealing with it" or not?

I mean it's not epic, and for me it was done better in 2 in 1 but that seemed to be what it was about

We don't learn anything really new, as we already could surmise reed and Sue were okay and we knee the kids were, in fact we in front of ben and John on this

It certainly felt thin on plot for a first issue for me, certainly given the page count available much more could have been done with the actual team

The doom back up I barely skimmed,it wasn't what I bought the book to read about, I haven't been impressed with dooms handling since the end of his run as an iron man, I'm not really interested in him being a villain again so soon, I was much more interested in seeing reed react to him trying to be a hero

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I know there is no convincing the anti-repeat panel brigade
    that is dismissive, FWIW