Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I liked the main story (must take place after Marvel 2-in-1, which must take place before iron Man #600, for that matter). I kinda liked the Doom story. Good to see Simone Bianchi back doing some marvel pages (Loved his stint in Hickman's New Avengers and the Thanos mini). Slott's voicing of Doom seems appropriate. Disappointed in the character's current status quo (Bendis, never write Doom ever again), but I guess this is where Slott wanted him. I guess he thinks how Hickman left him in Secret Wars #9 was a mistake or somehow painted him into a corner with respect to his storytelling options...I'll give it a shot....I just feel like the best writers can use the character's history to their advantage instead of viewing it as a hindrance (outside of Unthinkable and the Scott Lang interlude).

Astonishing Member

Thank you for the wonderful issue Mr. Slott also I'm very happy as a cat lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Since when is the Hood only interested in robbing banks?
    How do you think his gang funds itself? He was able to recruit those criminals because they weren't out to take over the world. Dark Reign was a departure from his m.o. And he suffered because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Have you forgotten his attempt to gather all the Infinity Gems? And I don't see how the villain community wouldn't notice Iron Man's absence, especially when he knew about the power struggle within Stark's company.
    Take it up with the writer. Hood didn't know that Stark was missing. The infinity gems were him desperately trying to get his powers back. Can you think of another company that he has tried to take over?

Well, I thought it was pretty good. The Ben proposing thing was a natural character evolution that makes even though though I tend to prefer keeping things as they are with characters that have had a long and enduring status quo. The only real issue I had was Johnny’s portrayal. I found it to be weirdly childish in a way that doesn’t make sense with his character evolution and not consistent with how he acts in Two-In-One. Johnny as always been immature, but even in his original days, he acted more like an immature teen than an immature child. Would’ve made more sense if his freakout at Ben wasn’t a strong loud as it was. Also, Ben was drawn really huge, which away slightly bothers me because he was never supposed to get taller after he gothit by the cosmic rays. Also, I really hope that the kids aren’t aged aged up when they return in the next issue, but we’ll see what happens when the book is released. But yeah, pretty good. Glad Doom is going back to basics and the little Impossible Man bit was fun. Best part IMO was the sign.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Good first issue and great to have a FF book again.

I liked the bits with the cats.

(And the rest of the issue!!)
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Rank 8 of 10.

It was not in my initial plans to buy but after a recommendation from a friend happily changed my mind.

Life is not easy losses, tragedies, violence so people need to escape from this reality from time to time and believe in the future and have hope. This is what heroes and comics do for readers and fans so the moment someone asks for a signal or a light and receives not a spark but rather a great lighthouse in the stars all can say is thanks .

Look at the stars hope burns bright.

Now that the agreement of marvel (disney) and fox happened I pray for FF to shine more than ever in this new start.

BANNED

FF? More like BB, standing for Blue Balls. Considering the page count, I wish they'd gotten us at least to the point where the family are reunited. And no, the smart-alec Skottie Young page doesn't make up for charging $6 for a book that accomplishes so little story-wise.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Alright looking forward to #2. Especially loved the Doctor Doom segment and the best singer part.

BANNED

Excellent issue.

I'm fine waiting until next issue for the official reunion of all four members.

What was important about this issue and what it says about this run going forward is how Slott is going to handle the emotional content and, on that level, it was a smashing success.

And while we didn't get the family all together yet (at least not in the present - the flashback scene was great), we did get a monumental moment between Ben and Alicia and while we've previously seen Ben and Johnny together coping with the loss of Reed, Sue and the others in 2-in-1, I think it was important to have Slott himself lay out their emotional state in the pages of FF.

Can't wait for #2!

BANNED

Overall I like this book so far but #1 isn't without its faults.

The art style is kind of murky and washed-out. It gives the book a more detached mood and doesn't really match the tone that Marvel was going for. The return of the Fantastic Four is supposed to be a celebration but the colouring makes it feel like a wake. Although... these colours and conflicted tone do a much better job of matching the Doom back-up story, it works really well on the pages, just not with the main story.

Speaking of Doom, I personally welcome this return to the Latverian status quo. I honestly missed Doom's presence post-Secret Wars, up until the Infamous Iron Man run Doom was largely absent from the Marvel universe. This return to form should mean that Doom will more consistently appear in numerous books from now on. Of course, I'd still love to see Doom get his own book again at the first opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    So....Impossible Man at the end of the issue was totally me. Marvel knew exactly what it was doing to me and how I would react. Hahahaha.
    I actually found that Impossible Man page to be really condescending. A lame attempt by Marvel to deflect legitimate criticism about the 'pacing' of this book. Acknowledging you've made mistakes while belittling fans in the process doesn't make those problems go away.
    Last edited by Kintor; 08-08-2018 at 02:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I actually found that Impossible Man page to be really condescending. A lame attempt by Marvel to deflect legitimate criticism about the 'pacing' of this book. Acknowledging you've made mistakes while belittling fans in the process doesn't make those problems go away.
    Oh, ffs - it's humorous. If it's making fun of anything, it's Slott poking fun at himself for "failing" at the apparently simple task of bringing team together right off the bat.

Absolutely no one is being "belittled" by this lighthearted one-page Impossible Man strip.

I loved this issue! I am so happy for all the FF fans right now. The "mommy can sing, right"? moment had me laughing to myself during my lunch break. The proposal (was that ring the fragment of the rock that guided them home?), and the FF in space at the end knocked my socks off!
    Enjoyed the Doom story a lot, and loved how it shows that even though the rest of the world may dislike Doom, his subjects love him; no, worship him! The IM at the end was a great touch too. 5 out of 5 stars from me! Cannot wait for #2.
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

All-New Member

This really was bad news. No reunion, just bad news. 2 three hundred bucks for a cover? Really?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ulti View Post
    This really was bad news. No reunion, just bad news.
    Ben proposing to Alicia and her happily accepting is "bad news?"

Reed sending the signal for the entire world to see that the FF is coming back is "bad news?"

Seems like good news to me.