Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

The films action has to get better. No more hero vs hero unless its actually Warrented. I actually liked the direction the dceu was aiming for with man of steel and bvs. Marvel comedy is getting boring now

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

My interest is waning, but not really because the quality of the movies is declining. (I'm talking MCU here... I haven't had any interest in DCU movies since the Tim Burton days.)

It's just getting kind of dull and repetitive for me. I've gone from seeing each and every new MCU release in the theater to "...eh, I'll see it eventually on demand." I saw Infinity War in the theater, but waited for Black Panther to come on demand, and I still haven't gotten around to seeing Ragnarok, much less the new Ant Man movie.

I haven't really disliked ANY of the MCU movies so far. I just feel less and less eagerness to keep up with them.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next Avengers movie, but not terribly psyched for what comes after. And on the TV end, I do want to see how Agents of SHIELD comes out.

At this point, with 20 MCU movies out there over the last 10 years plus the Fox & Sony ones, my excitement for Marvel has definitely died down. It's definitely on a character-by-character basis at this point.

I didn't bother with Ragnarok and Ant-Man/Wasp. Not sure about their Captain Marvel. Will see final Avengers, of course, but anything else will probably be streamwaited.

On the other hand, since I'm more of a DC fan, my excitement level for their movies has remained high in comparison. I liked Snyder's Watchmen-like take, but I'm also ok with going back to a classic feel as long as it doesn't get jokey/silly like the MCU. Aquaman and Shazam both look really good to me. I'm sure Wonder Woman will be fine, as well. Matt Reeves' Batman will likely be super cool, and the Joker origin has promise, but I would want them to leave Batman out of it completely, which is what I think they're gonna do.

Maybe the return of the FF and X-Men to Marvel Studios will breathe some new life into things, but I hope going forward we don't have 20 movies all telling the same story. The Universe can be interconnected in the sense that the DC-CW shows are, but just like DC-CW, I'd like the MCU movies each going on its own path and just getting the characters together for a crossover movie unrelated to the previous movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'm also ok with going back to a classic feel as long as it doesn't get jokey/silly like the MCU. Aquaman and Shazam both look really good to me.
    I'm genuinely curious how you reconcile these two statements based on what we've seen of both movies so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't really get the idea of treating an entire genre of movies as one single 'entity'. A movie is a movie.
    I agree with you entirely on this point. I think Marvel has done an excellent job of making dramas, heist movies, comedies, etc., and throwing into those films individuals with amazing abilities.

OTOH, the last several films that have included individuals with amazing abilities have left me, at best, with an "It was OK" sort of feeling. I don't get the impression the quality of the movies have dropped (in the case of Spider-man, for example, it was a remarkable improvement). Some movies I was severely disappointed in, such as Ragnarok. But all of them left me not really having much feeling about whether I saw the next one or not. The common factor in all of them was not "the superhero movie" - I just use that as shorthand. It was the inclusion of the character with amazing abilities.

Boisterously Confused

I have decided that my excitement peaked at Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and the reasons are selfish. The same reasons, I suppose, that I don't regularly follow the comics anymore.

The Phase 1 MCU films were My Comics brought to life. There were deviations, especially in The Hulk and Thor movies, but it was close enough. IMO, CA:TWS was an outstanding film from end to end, and in every dimension, but beginning there the MCU began drifting into its own thing in a way that just didn't quite work for me. It's much like how many monthlies have gone in directions that just don't work for me.

There have been films I've enjoyed since, including Wonder Woman and Black Lightning, which I regard as the only things watchable to come out of DC since TDK. But none of them have been My Comics.

That's okay, I hope others enjoy them, and that they prosper. For me, I'll probably stream them (at least as rentals) when they become available, but I think I'm done going to the theater for them. The same way I digitally buy comics from time to time, just to see what's up.

On the whole, tho, these films (and comics) belong to o others. The next one might surprise me, but not so far.

Retired

I think if DC had the critical and financial success of Marvel and had been putting out three or four movies per year for the last ten years, I could probably relax and not be so worried about their perception in the public eye. But as that hasn't happened, I'm still nervously anticipating the future movies and hoping they can get to that level where I don't really care anymore.

I mean, when it comes to the TV shows, I'm not that anxious. DC can have a mixed bag of shows and I don't worry that some are better than others. I'm not in a panic for their success.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think if DC had the critical and financial success of Marvel and had been putting out three or four movies per year for the last ten years, I could probably relax and not be so worried about their perception in the public eye. But as that hasn't happened, I'm still nervously anticipating the future movies and hoping they can get to that level where I don't really care anymore.

I mean, when it comes to the TV shows, I'm not that anxious. DC can have a mixed bag of shows and I don't worry that some are better than others. I'm not in a panic for their success.
    The TV shows are in a better situation. Even if the ratings aren't that spectacular when they are broadcast live they still make money on Netflix and in syndication. Where-as with movies
    the only way they make real money is at the box office. DVDs don't really bring in all that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm genuinely curious how you reconcile these two statements based on what we've seen of both movies so far.
    Neither movie looks silly, but yes Shazam is more jokey than normal for a DC movie. However, it does suit the character. It does not suit Thor, which is why I avoided Ragnarok.

Aquaman doesn't look like a Ragnarok take on the character at all to me.

The tone has to be appropriate to the character rather than having the same tone in each movie regardless of the character, which is what MCU often does.

Also, my personal taste is that if you're gonna re-tone the character, then go for more dramatic rather than more comedic, so I'm ok with the Watchmen take of Man of Steel, but have no interest in fratboy-Thor.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-03-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't really get the idea of treating an entire genre of movies as one single 'entity'. A movie is a movie. So I watch what I wanna watch and vice versa.

Plus, I've never really considered Superhero movies as a specific genre anyway. That's a theme, for sure, but ultimately they're still generally just action movies. And I can't imagine ever deciding that I was done with action movies... or comedies or sci-fi-or animation or anything really. It just seems really strange to me to think of movies that way, much less make decisions about what movies I'd watch in the future.

What's my excitement level? Haven't a clue, who measures that? But when a trailer hits, I'll watch it and can usually gauge if that it's a movie I wanna see and how hyped I may be about it.

Couldn't agree more. People like to rant and rave about "superhero fatigue". The problem with that term is that it assumes that all superhero movies are the same genre. They’re not. Iron Man is more traditional science fiction. Thor is fantasy. The first Captain America is a period war movie, the second is a spy thriller. The Incredible Hulk is a fugitive film. Guardians is a space opera. Ant-Man is a heist film. These movies are as different as Die Hard and James Bond, when you stop and think about it: similar superficially but quite distinct on viewing.

Kind of like asking "What Is Your Excitement Level For The Future Of Horror Movies?"...

I guess I just don't see it in "Excitement..." terms. That said, I have almost no doubt that I will see great "Horror" and "Comic Book" films in the future.

For me, most of my traditional favorite characters have been portrayed pretty well by the MCU. Avengers, Spidey, Dr Strange, BP. I was only marginally interested in the Fox X-Men. But if they get the MCU treatment (along with Surfer, FF, etc.) then I expect good things to happen. Fox did well with Deadpool, so I'm not entirely dissing Fox.

I guess I'm not suffering from "superhero movie fatigue" either, at least when it comes to Marvel characters. However, I am not excited for DC's movie line-up outside of the surprisingly good WW portrayal.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Hey, my second double post of the day! Woohoo! Alright, who's messing with the Reality Stone/Gem?
    Last edited by hulahulk; 08-04-2018 at 05:34 AM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by KCJ506 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. People like to rant and rave about "superhero fatigue". The problem with that term is that it assumes that all superhero movies are the same genre. They’re not. Iron Man is more traditional science fiction. Thor is fantasy. The first Captain America is a period war movie, the second is a spy thriller. The Incredible Hulk is a fugitive film. Guardians is a space opera. Ant-Man is a heist film. These movies are as different as Die Hard and James Bond, when you stop and think about it: similar superficially but quite distinct on viewing.
    You're probably right about GotG, but (and I freely admit being unbale to prove this) I'm willing to be that if you ask anybody but comic fans what all the other Marvel and DC films are, the vast majority are going to say "superhero" and no other genre without being prompted.

The fact that (at least the Marvel) movies are produced in a genre in addition to superhero doesn't mean they're not still superhero movies and that superhero movies aren't a genre.

Star Wars is science fiction, fantasy, and a western all at the same time. Being each of these doesn't negate the others.