Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How important is a good story

I am reading the FF reprints, which I am enjoying but this last story is hysterical in how bad it is. This is the thomas/Buschema story which just seems to pull storylines out of the air and staples them together. It makes me think that when running a title 12 months a year, maybe the stories just don't have to be so good. As long as the stories are entertaining enough to fill 30 minutes of entertainment, and that the stoies are consistant, it will find a market and become endearing to readers. It is like old TV sitcoms.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Important stories suck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Important stories suck.
    They get in thew way of the art

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I dunno, I think stories are pretty important. I'll put up with awful art in favor of a great story any day; on the flip side, I'll drop a book with gorgeous art if the story doesn't engage me.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I dunno, I think stories are pretty important. I'll put up with awful art in favor of a great story any day; on the flip side, I'll drop a book with gorgeous art if the story doesn't engage me.
    I was being sarcastic earlier, but I completely agree. When I was young, I thought it was all about the art. The real eye-opener for me as to how much more important a story is, would be when Marvel gave McFarlane his own Spidey title to draw AND write. It was gorgeous. But the stories sucked.

If I am picking between art and story. I’d rather have a great story with average art, than average story and great art. That is if I can’t have both great art & story. The story is just a little more important to me than the art. For overall enjoyment of the comics.
    Find me on
    Instagram @turtle_wa
    YouTube @TurtleWA

BANNED

I think, that over the years it has been shown that the most important aspect of the monthly release is that the storytelling has a consistantly dependable expectation of storytelling and entertainment. This works against the idea of a blockbuster story. It sounds mundane, but it is not. To know that you pay for 3 dollars and get a consistant product is essential to the branding of the books.

BANNED

I think, that over the years it has been shown that the most important aspect of the monthly release is that the storytelling has a consistantly dependable expectation of storytelling and entertainment. This works against the idea of a blockbuster story. It sounds mundane, but it is not. To know that you pay for 3 dollars and get a consistant product is essential to the branding of the books.

Incredible Member

I go with writers the majority of the time over following any particular artist so that tells me I go with story over art. Most times the art is decent enough or even great anyways. Good writers seem to more often than not attract good artists. Something recent I read which had average art (imo) but I loved anyways was Mark Waids Flash. Maybe an exception to this for me is Jack Kirby (when he is both writer and artist). Lots of people dont consider him a "great" writer but I love his stuff. I just love his art style and the writing is decent enough to me(more a great idea man than top writer).
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 08-04-2018 at 04:35 PM.

To me a good long running story will make the characters involved better, while poor stories will
    end up in hurting the development in the characters and overall reader interest in buying the book.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Having the story “be good” is completely irrelevant, unless you plan on reading it.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

That said, having the story “be good” doesn’t always translate into sales or general interest in a title... ie: Jeff Parker’s Thunderbolts or Cullen Bunn’s Scarlet Spider.
    Last edited by WinterSoldier76; 08-05-2018 at 06:10 AM.

I've often said it this way when talking comics with people:

"Great writing can save bad art, but great art cannot save bad writing"

The most recent example I can think of was in IDW TMNT annual that was both written and drawn by Kevin Eastman. I love his gritty dark cartoony style, but the dialogue and story was so bad I couldn't even finish it

I've often said it this way when talking comics with people:

"Great writing can save bad art, but great art cannot save bad writing"

The most recent example I can think of was in IDW TMNT annual that was both written and drawn by Kevin Eastman. I love his gritty dark cartoony style, but the dialogue and story was so bad I couldn't even finish it

When John Byrne left co-plotting with Claremont to start writing on his own the work was very good,
    the same for George Perez when he left co-plotting with Marv Wolfman to write Wonder Woman,
    but as time and the influence they received co-plotting diminished, so did there ability in writing
    good stories.