THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Keep an eye out for ELECTRIC WARRIORS (2018)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/electric-war...ce=io9_twitter

io9: Some of what you’re saying is reminding me of Tom King did in Omega Men: showing the cultures of the DC Universe in conflict, in ways that mirror the political conflicts that we experience in the real world. Are the Green Lanterns still the intergalactic peacekeeping force in this future?

Orlando: A great compromise leads to the United Planets becoming the force in power and running these trials by combat. But, as you’re talking about what we’re paying homage to—what we know from reading a variety of things that Geoff has written and Brad Meltzer’s written—the Green Lanterns are dormant right now. For example, right now, Sodam Yat is crying on the planet Oa, and he’ll be doing that until the 31st century. So, all these things are on the board, especially if we get more than six issues.

But it’s an interesting time, because so much of this universe lore lies fallow basically from now until the future, which is the 31st Century. If we have the canvas to explore, you might see some people you don’t expect showing up in the future. There’s a lot of people who’ve been hanging out in the sun. A lot of people who probably don’t die as easy as others. I mean, War Cry, one of the leads, has Superman’s cape. You might remember Kamandi finding Superman’s cape. By this time, it’s a cultural artifact, and since he’s the Electric Warrior, they give that to him. The thing about him and Superman is—of the two of Electric Warriors from Earth—the one who believes in the Age of Heroes is Deep Dweller.

Octopuses were some of the first to free their human servants, inspired by the role of Superman. Inspired by this person who was not of humanity, but chose to live among them as equals. So before any of the legal accords, octopuses had already freed their human— well, in their case, Atlantean—captives. So they consider themselves ahead of the curve. War Cry looks back as a human and says, “Superman is the reason this ever happened to us. He taught us we can’t take care of ourselves. He taught us to rely on someone else.” He’s a person who believes in the actual existence of Superman. He’d be a fool not to, because he’s wearing his indestructible cape. But he’s not down with what he sees as the message of Superman. He’s like someone who believed that Jesus lived but is not Christian. They’re two separate things. And he thinks one idea is dangerous and one idea is realistic. And so they’ll have to meet in the middle of that, too, because he’s heir to a legacy that feels toxic. But it’s also because he’s so broken down he doesn’t believe in altruism. You know?

For those who didn't read it, over in DC Nation issue #3 apparently Bendis and Orlando (specifically photographed talking) along with all the other writers got together to make sure they're all on the same page with their stories. This seems to line up with my theory that Bendis is working towards introducing the United Planets for the first time ever in DC present day. Bendis also working with the specific idea of inducting Earth into the "galactic conversation" over in Superman, the designated cosmic book. And Orlando mentions that the United Planets is already established, AND that "Earth wants to rejoin the galaxy" meaning that they were likely part of the galactic conversation with a functioning United Planets till the Dark Age when they dropped out.

Thoughts? Interested in the book? Think there's gonna be a fair bit of Superman stuff given the interview?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Can't say I ever expected to see the "Superman might make people to reliant on him" as anything other than a throw away argument for why Superman couldn't do more to help people. The idea that we've got someone that has a whole philosophy around humanities whole miserable situation is at least bringing some kind of nuance beyond the usual slippery slope fallacy. Even if I still don't believe it.

Though the alternative perspective is also interesting. The oppressors vying to be more like the champion of the oppressed and the oppressed resenting the legacy of their would be champion.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

nvm, forum is buggy
    Last edited by The World; 08-04-2018 at 05:24 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory