Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The worst abandoned plot lines of the last 10 years?

First time posting in this forum, hope this is the right place for it.

Nothing more frustrating than an abandoned story arc. We all hope it'll conclude or finish up in a later issue, but sometimes story arcs or plots we've been loving just get abandoned and ignored. Typically happens as a casualty of a new creative team coming in, or victim to the publisher's need to start a new volume with a #1 issue, or just plain laziness.

Between 2008 and now, what is your pick for the worst case of an abandoned story line?

First thing that came to my mind:
    GREEN LANTERN - Lost Army/Edge of Oblivion. For NO apparent reason, the entire GLC disappears from this universe and pops up in the universe previous to this one. Interesting premise, the GLC far from home, on the run, what's a young Krona doing there? etc... Aside from Lost Army getting the plug pulled then having the Edge of Oblivion pick up almost none of the plot points, the GLC find their way back to this universe. Okay great.... but what the hell happened in the first place???

TRINITY OF SIN - What the heck was the deal with The Question? I guess that version will have to remain an enigma wrapped in a riddle suffocated by a doomed premise...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

TRINITY OF SIN - What the heck was the deal with The Question? I guess that version will have to remain an enigma wrapped in a riddle suffocated by a doomed premise...
    The most appreciated of all suffocations.

Mighty Member

ULTIMATIUM

This event was a disaster, but who on Earth picked up the body of Dr. Strange Jr.? Was I supposed to assume it was Clea or Dr. Strange Sr.?

Where is Rose Wilson's mom? Rose Wilson determined her mom was still alive when she didn't return during Blackest Night. Went looking for her and ... nothing.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

Back right before Avengers Disassembled there was a mediocre run that introduced a new character called Lionheart who sported Captain Britain's original costume (And looked much better in it as well, imo.), and she was forbidden from revealing her identity to her kids. Whatever happened to her? Did the editors just forget about her? I lost track of her.

All-New Member

The trinity of sin.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    First thing that came to my mind:
    GREEN LANTERN - Lost Army/Edge of Oblivion. For NO apparent reason, the entire GLC disappears from this universe and pops up in the universe previous to this one. Interesting premise, the GLC far from home, on the run, what's a young Krona doing there? etc... Aside from Lost Army getting the plug pulled then having the Edge of Oblivion pick up almost none of the plot points, the GLC find their way back to this universe. Okay great.... but what the hell happened in the first place???

Ugh, that whole GLC mess annoys me to this day.

I actually liked the Trinity of Sin, and thought the New 52 Phantom Stranger books was an underrated gem.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The whole concept of Pandora (part of the Trinity of Sin) was seemingly changed right after the whole new 52 started and geared towards that big 2013 crossover they did. It seemed like Pandora was a big part of the whole merging of Universes and a new era Harbinger basically. She knew all the universes and possibly was someone who had seen all the different Earth's at some point. Instead comically they did this whole...Trinity of Sin deal and went that way.

Rebirth in 2016 seemed to be them saying , yeah that was stupid and we see Pandora realize the whole battling the deadly sins of man was not actually real.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Probably only choosing this because I'm a huge Runaways fan, but I would said everything about the last Four issues of the Third series. A lot happened in those few issues, the title was put on hiatus before transitioning into cancelled, and when they showed up next it was all basically swept under the rug. Well, not everything. They acknowledged that the dinosaur died, but everything else was left up in the air. That includes resurrecting a character with no explanation, and then having that character be resurrected again when the title returned.

Amazing Member

Sonic Disruptors.
    Last edited by Cherokee Jack; 03-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Alan Moore's 1963.

Miracleman

Where did Sam Beckett leap next?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

Where did Sam Beckett leap next?

Had Bakula not decided on doing Enterprise in 1999/2000 then we would have found out. Sci-Fi (now SyFy) was gonna do an updated series of Quantum Leap. The 2 hour movie would have Beckett's 2 kids decide to go find their father. Al I believe would not be involved and I believe that Sam Beckett would be found but his children was now leapers and he would have the Al role . With rotating episodes featuring his son and daughter taking his role having to fix things and hopefully leap home.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by katefan View Post
    Back right before Avengers Disassembled there was a mediocre run that introduced a new character called Lionheart who sported Captain Britain's original costume (And looked much better in it as well, imo.), and she was forbidden from revealing her identity to her kids. Whatever happened to her? Did the editors just forget about her? I lost track of her.
    Her story picked up, and was resolved IIRC in New Excalibur by Chris Claremont.

Ultimate Spiderman (Pre-ultimatum): Whatever happened to Eddie Brock after he was kidnapped by Beetle, on Latveria orders?

Ultimate Comics X-Men: Everything about Spencer's runs got ignored or soft-retconned by Wood (I really liked the big game Spencer had in mind, so I am still annoyed by how his run "ended", to this day).

The whole Pandora's deal, that got absolutely nowhere, aside from a cameo in DC Rebirth, like 5 YEARS LATER

Everything about Bendis' Miles Ultimate run, being ignored after he landed on 616 (by the same writer..)

The Rise of the Seven Seas being teased in JL, but never actually happening (to my knowledge)