Page 310 of 985 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320360410810 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 14769

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a governmentwide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law.

A series of decisions by the Obama administration loosened the legal concept of sex in federal programs, including in education and health care, recognizing sex largely as an individual’s choice — and prompting fights over bathrooms, dormitories, single-sex programs and other arenas where gender was once seen as a simple concept. Conservatives, especially evangelical Christians, were incensed.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/u...efinition.html

This is what happens when you give unchecked powers to the monstrousness that is the GOP. It's /our/ fault.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

This is what happens when you give unchecked powers to the monstrousness that is the GOP. It's /our/ fault.
    But hey! Her emails....!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

For what it's worth, my preferences in certain elections.

Overall US Senate control= Republicans
    Arizona Senate election= Martha McSally
    Florida Senate election= Rick Scott
    Indiana Senate election= Mike Braun
    Missouri Senate election= Josh Hawley
    Nevada Senate election= Dean Heller
    New Jersey Senate election= Bob Hugin
    North Dakota Senate election= Kevin Cramer
    Tennessee Senate election= Phil Bredesen
    Texas Senate election= Beto O'Rourke
    Virginia Senate election= Tim Kaine (this is probably the least competitive of the elections, but Corey Stewart deserves a massive loss.)

Overall US House control= Republicans
    Alaska's At-Large Congressional District= Alyse Galvin (incumbent Republican Don Young does not seem well)
    Arizona's 2nd Congressional District= Lea Marquez Peterson
    California's 48th Congressional District= Harley Rouda (Dana Rohrabacher deserves to lose)
    California's 50th Congressional District= Ammar Campa-Najjar (incumbent Republican Duncan Hunter is running for reelection while indicted)
    Florida's 27th Congressional District= Maria Elvira Salazar
    New York's 27th Congressional District= Nate McMurray (incumbent Republican Chris Collins is running for reelection while indicted)
    Texas' 23rd Congressional District= Will Hurd
    Utah's 4th Congressional District= Mia Love
    Washington's 5th Congressional District= Cathy McMorris Rodgers
    Washington's 8th Congressional District= Dino Rossi

Arizona gubernatorial election= Doug Ducey
    Florida gubernatorial election= Ron DeSantis
    Georgia gubernatorial election= Brian Kemp
    Iowa gubernatorial election= Kim Reynolds
    Kansas gubernatorial election= Laura Kelly
    Maine gubernatorial election= Shawn Moody
    Nevada gubernatorial election= Adam Laxalt
    Ohio gubernatorial election= Richard Cordray
    Oregon gubernatorial election= Knute Beuller
    Wisconsin gubernatorial election= Scott Walker
    Some Republican Governors up for reelection are among the most popular executives in the country (Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, Vermont) so the elections aren't considered competitive.

I'm curious if anyone has any preferences that go beyond wanting their party to win every competitive election.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

That you can still back Republicans when they are busy trying to make being Trans illegal, Mets, says much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Overall US Senate control= Republicans
    Arizona Senate election= Martha McSally
    Florida Senate election= Rick Scott
    Indiana Senate election= Mike Braun
    Missouri Senate election= Josh Hawley
    Nevada Senate election= Dean Heller
    New Jersey Senate election= Bob Hugin
    North Dakota Senate election= Kevin Cramer
    Tennessee Senate election= Phil Bredesen
    Texas Senate election= Beto O'Rourke
    Virginia Senate election= Tim Kaine (this is probably the least competitive of the elections, but Corey Stewart deserves a massive loss.)

Overall US House control= Republicans
    Alaska's At-Large Congressional District= Alyse Galvin (incumbent Republican Don Young does not seem well)
    Arizona's 2nd Congressional District= Lea Marquez Peterson
    California's 48th Congressional District= Harley Rouda (Dana Rohrabacher deserves to lose)
    California's 50th Congressional District= Ammar Campa-Najjar (incumbent Republican Duncan Hunter is running for reelection while indicted)
    Florida's 27th Congressional District= Maria Elvira Salazar
    New York's 27th Congressional District= Nate McMurray (incumbent Republican Chris Collins is running for reelection while indicted)
    Texas' 23rd Congressional District= Will Hurd
    Utah's 4th Congressional District= Mia Love
    Washington's 5th Congressional District= Cathy McMorris Rodgers
    Washington's 8th Congressional District= Dino Rossi

Arizona gubernatorial election= Doug Ducey
    Florida gubernatorial election= Ron DeSantis
    Georgia gubernatorial election= Brian Kemp
    Iowa gubernatorial election= Kim Reynolds
    Kansas gubernatorial election= Laura Kelly
    Maine gubernatorial election= Shawn Moody
    Nevada gubernatorial election= Adam Laxalt
    Ohio gubernatorial election= Richard Cordray
    Oregon gubernatorial election= Knute Beuller
    Some Republican Governors up for reelection are among the most popular executives in the country (Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, Vermont) so the elections aren't considered competitive.

I'm curious if anyone has any preferences that go beyond wanting their party to win every competitive election.
    I think I could’ve honestly voted for Republicans that more closely resembled Bush I (Bush II just wasn’t cut out to be an executive; he basically let Cheney run rough-shot over him and the rest of the country). But, today, they often run to the right of Ronald Reagan, a man more than willing to follow in Nixon’s footsteps of hitting back at black people to win the South, albeit with less transparency and less directly. Today, the Republican Party was the party unwilling to work with President Obama in anything, even when their ideas aligned (his health care proposal was initially a Heritage Foundation plan and his stance on trade was even more economically liberal than Donald Trump’s). Today, Republicans have signed themselves over to policies that are focused on voter suppression, just like literacy tests and polling taxes before, to target racial minorities and poorer individuals. Fewer Republicans are even making the effort to hide it anymore. Today, Republicans are willing to cover up for a president reasonably suspected of legal wrong-doing on multiple accounts (bribing silence, motivating and inciting violence against the press, and possibly election interference), while just two years ago they were about to perform their thirteenth investigation into the Benghazi “scandal” to try and hit Hillary Clinton with it just prior to the election. I can’t support a single candidate that hasn’t gone out of their way to show that they don’t stand with these centralized policies in their party. People like Flake can talk the talk but they haven’t bothered to counter their executive where it matters.

I can’t support Republicans in their current state. I wish I could have more options when going over my ballot but, frankly, the stakes are too high when democratic norms are being shattered on a consistent basis and a party in power unwilling to do what is necessary to stop him so long as they can continue to suppress votes and hurt poor people.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The GOP is Trump. Trump is the GOP.

I voted early in Nevada yesterday. Libertarian when I could, Democrat for everything else. And zero Republicans, since the party seems so opposed to the very concept of Democracy. None of them deserve my vote anymore.

That tells me all I need to know here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That you can still back Republicans when they are busy trying to make being Trans illegal, Mets, says much.
    My comment about preferring many but not all Republican candidates for statewide and congressional office had nothing to do with a news item that just broke (which I wasn't aware of an hour ago) about policies the Trump administration is considering but has not yet implemented which still wouldn't make being trans illegal.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...le-dont-exist/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Trump's approval rating is improving.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

Who knew people in the Rust Belt would be so forgiving about covering up a grisly murder committed by Ay-rabs.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

My comment about preferring many but not all Republican candidates for statewide and congressional office had nothing to do with a news item that just broke (which I wasn't aware of an hour ago) about policies the Trump administration is considering but has not yet implemented which still wouldn't make being trans illegal.

We told you it was coming, Mets. The people you prefer will do absolutely nothing, as they basically agree with it. And so it goes as you continue to moonwalk yourself into enabling fascism.

No, they're just in the process of first making it a mental disorder again. THEN it'll be effectively illegal to be Trans as it leads to self-harm or some such excuse.

Why is trump shitting on Reagans legacy ? I know his cult is strong but I thought Reagan was a bigger deal to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    No, they're just in the process of first making it a mental disorder again. THEN it'll be effectively illegal to be Trans as it leads to self-harm or some such excuse.
    I mean, if you define it out of existence, then they're a man in a woman's restroom and can be arrested. I'm in no mood for BS word games pretending to 'nuance'. Trump is putting what is perhaps the most vulnerable minority in the country squarely in the crosshairs and the end result will be suffering in a group that already has a shortened life expectancy and some of the highest rates of suicide and, for some people, that's okay so long as they get their tax cuts and unions crushed.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-21-2018 at 09:50 AM.

I've never understood this paranoid conspiracy bs the Republicans try to sell that Trans Women (M to F) are just sexual assaulters looking for an easy way to attack women. Because transitioning is neither cheap nor easy. You know what is ? Buying a hooker.