Page 316 of 985 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366416816 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 14769
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Even in Politics, it's best Not to Feed the Trolls. Especially the Troll in Chief.
    Agreed. Problem is, with a knuckledragger like Trump, I suspect he gets pissed when no one takes the bait, when he isn't "fed", leading him to say and/or do even more outrageous **** to get a rise out those he deems as enemies. With this particular troll, you just can't win, not when he has the biggest bully pulpit on the planet and the eagerness to use it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Even in Politics, it's best Not to Feed the Trolls. Especially the Troll in Chief.
    Well positive for today the Early voting line was out the door. Everyone inside was excited to vote and ready. I heard several people "tired of this government" while in line. Supported Beto all year and he got my vote today. Hope he gets enough to win but I am not oblivious to how hard it is to win here for a Democrat.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Well positive for today the Early voting line was out the door. Everyone inside was excited to vote and ready. I heard several people "tired of this government" while in line. Supported Beto all year and he got my vote today. Hope he gets enough to win but I am not oblivious to how hard it is to win here for a Democrat.
    I'm keeping my hopes up for you guys in Texas. You deserve a change and have Ted Cruz hit the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If anyone can do it, I'm sure Beto can. Still, getting die-hard Republicans to cross over and vote Democrat is incredibly difficult. Though the same can be said the other way around.

I plan on voting Democrat up and down the ticket, except maybe for one person, our local Mayor who is more Purple than Red. Besides, no one is running against him. This will probably be his last term in office, so in four years the local Democrats might have a chance to elect a Democratic Mayor, maybe.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

What do you guys think of this 'caravan' of 7,000 people making their way from Central America to the United States?

This actually disturbs me the most

- The sheer amount of people: Where will they go? How will they work? Education? No background checks

- The timing: The timing of this before the midterms? I hardly believe this is a coincidence, but if yes, the GOP just got everything handed back to them in a big red bow.

- The organization: How was this planned? Where are they staying and how are these people being taken care of?

- What will happen? I'm a registered Democrat but in no way will take one extreme or side over the other. If these people want in, they should do it legally. Force is never the option

But you have to respond in some way. Look at what "ignoring the bully" did for John Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    What do you guys think of this 'caravan' of 7,000 people making their way from Central America to the United States?

This actually disturbs me the most

- The sheer amount of people: Where will they go? How will they work? Education? No background checks

- The timing: The timing of this before the midterms? I hardly believe this is a coincidence, but if yes, the GOP just got everything handed back to them in a big red bow.

- The organization: How was this planned? Where are they staying and how are these people being taken care of?

- What will happen? I'm a registered Democrat but in no way will take one extreme or side over the other. If these people want in, they should do it legally. Force is never the option
    Aren't they seeking asylum from dictators?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

it is never illegal to seek asylum.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The house race most likely to become the chorus of a Bruce Springsteen song is definitely Shalala-Salazar.

And it seems to have swung quite massively towards Donna Shalala.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

https://twitter.com/nicholas_bagley/...53855784329216

The Texas judge who's primed to eliminate the ACA's protections for preexisting conditions has been sitting on his opinion for six weeks now. My money? The judge is waiting until after the midterms because he knows that bad ACA headlines would hurt Republicans at the polls.

Judge skeptical of ACA's standing without effective individual mandate penalty

"It does seem for the majority of cases, the Supreme Court says to look at the original legislation as enacted," O'Connor said. "Why would I not? Let's assume I don't buy the argument it is still a tax and believe the mandate should fall and I get to severability, why wouldn't I look at those cases?"

The ACA contains provisions stating that the individual mandate is "essential to creating effective health insurance markets in which improved health insurance products that are guaranteed issue and do not include coverage of pre-existing conditions can be sold."

The Democratic attorneys general, who were forced into defending the law when the Trump administration bowed out, conceded the reconciliation rules Republicans used to pass the 2017 tax law barred Congress from amending or repealing the ACA's statutory language surrounding consumer protections.

The plaintiff GOP states, led by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, are asking for an injunction against the entire ACA starting in 2019. The U.S. Justice Department, which argued that the individual mandate and consumer protections be tossed but that the rest of the law stand, asked O'Connor to postpone judgment until after the individual market's open-enrollment period so as not to spook insurers.

"The last thing we want is for chaos in the market," said Justice Department attorney Brett Schumate.

O'Connor gave only cursory treatment to the baseline question of whether the individual mandate without an accompanying penalty could stand as constitutional in light of the Supreme Court's 2012 decision to uphold the ACA through the mandate as a tax.
    Wildcard judge signals he’s doubtful Obamacare is legal without individual mandate: At Wednesday's hearing, a federal judge may be leaning toward the GOP states' argument, unlike most legal experts.

The GOP will do anything to destroy the ACA and use the money for tax cuts for the wealthy.
    Last edited by Tami; 10-22-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Judge skeptical of ACA's standing without effective individual mandate penalty

Wildcard judge signals he’s doubtful Obamacare is legal without individual mandate: At Wednesday's hearing, a federal judge may be leaning toward the GOP states' argument, unlike most legal experts.

The GOP will do anything to destroy the ACA and use the money for tax cuts for the wealthy.
    Not to mention destroying the legacy of America's first black president whom Republicans hated more than Hillary BECAUSE Obama was black.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Not really surprising.The thread's has a majority left wing view point.Any conservative viewpoint on here is going to be shouted down.
    Anyone still "owning" the party that locks baby in cages and plans a trans genocide deserves to be shouted down. **** civility in the face of fascism.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    That's just it. If you want clarity, your paperwork reading female but looking and acting male complicates that.

Because at the end of the day, it's an I.D problem. And it doesn't solve the problem. In fact it makes somebody carding someone that much harder. If you are listed male and yet everything else reads female, I don't know if you realize this, but people do read licenses and will deny services if they are unsure of someone's identity. Now most establishments are outfitted with a book that helps tell a real license from a fake. But you can't guarantee there will be time to use that. Some establishments also have card readers that will automatically reveal the real identity..., except they are beyond expensive and not even retail chains carry them 100%. System upgrades are expensive and really hard to repair.

Just labeling FTM or MTF just makes the situation easier. Not everyone fully transitions or can on a level that makes them easily identifiable as male or female. That discrepancy is going to cause problems especially as a person ages and the longer they go before updating the license.

Not to mention is this doesn't outlaw trans people. It just takes away the identity. Meaning that it makes it easier to assume an identity if one can argue they are transitioning to make up for a discrepancy. This can also royally **** over businesses who now have to account for this discrepancy on top of everything else.

But you didn't think about that because you wanted the icky trans people to go away.
    RRR can eat all the ass over this. Thanks for making everyone's lives more complicated instead of just adding 1 label you jackasses!
    This!

True story: I once accompanied a young trans man to juvenile court. He was facing community service or maybe even jail time for repeated cases of fare evasion on the public transport system in his town.
    When the judge asked him why he didn't just get one of those rather affordable monthly passes for young people, he explained that those have to have his dead name on it, because he hadn't legally changed it. And every time he got one of those passes and got checked, they made a huge scene because they thought he had illegally "borrowed it from his sister" as they (rightly) perceived him as male.
    The DA and the judge both got a big lump in their throats and let him off with a warning. The judge even said "I was really gonna throw the book at you today, bot these trials don't always go the way you expect them to."

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not to mention destroying the legacy of America's first black president whom Republicans hated more than Hillary BECAUSE Obama was black.
    Both of these things are true. And, to top it all off, the GOP is lying their asses off to pretend otherwise. To put it another way, the GOP is lying to cancer patients that they will protect them.