Page 775 of 985 FirstFirst ... 275675725765771772773774775776777778779785825875 ... LastLast
Results 11,611 to 11,625 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    As a society, we probably don't deal with ambiguity very well, where it's possible that someone did a terrible thing and is now lying about, and it's also possible that the same person is wrongly accused. We each have our own standards, and these should be clearly articulated.
    My standard is that someone who is innocent is unabashed in their desire do a thorough investigation rather than continually going around the question or going back to evidence you, yourself, provided (the calendars). Given that, his entitled attitude, and the real level of credibility shown by the victim, I think that I’m within my rights to believe the accusation against him.

I'm not convinced Kavanaugh was clearly wrong in anything he said, which is why I'm not bothered by what you call blatantly partisan rhetoric. If you want to discuss specific quotations, I can do that.

Go to 1:50 in the video. While the rest is an indignant defense of himself, which comes across like an entitled child, that is the important part. “Revenge on behalf of the Clintons”? Using the “George Soros” line? “Democratic members of this committee”? I can tell you right now that Obama would’ve pulled a nominee if they had behaved like that and said those things. Full stop.

His resume was actually rather impressive. He was widely considered a potential Supreme Court pick for Romney. A USA Today description said that on paper, he may have been the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in decades.
    Largely debatable. Again, he wasn’t even on the initial list of potential justices provided by the Federalist Society. He wasn’t stellar enough to get recognition on that level. So, again, why was Kavanaugh the hill that Republicans like Susan Collins were willing to die on? Because, especially given his recent dissent, it’s gonna be tough for her to explain what she did.

As for why Democrats didn't use these tactics against Gorsuch, the main difference is that there wasn't the initial allegation. Once the first allegation came out against Kavanaugh, more emerged that were patently BS.
    If Ford had a credibility problem and it got that far, why not just start from scratch? Or could it be because Ford was credible that we believed others as they came out?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Six hours after he declares immigration a "national emergency", while admitting he "didn't need to do this" but "just wanted to do it faster" (which will likely lead to an easy dismissal in a court hearing for this being an abuse of power), Trump will handle that emergency by getting on a plane and going golfing in Florida for three or four days.

Inspiring stuff. I remember reading how after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, that FDR shot hoops with friends over the weekend.
    Dear Lord he's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    OH WBE-EEEeeeeeee...

https://theweek.com/speedreads/82397...xion-rationale

"We have to keep the death penalty so we can kill Jesus again" is... an idea, I guess.
    Wasn't that the plot of the Green Mile?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    “The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot.” -- Ann Coulter

For once, we agree.
    ...wasn't the urgency to get the wall built due, in part, to Coulter calling him out on not fulfilling this specific campaign promise??

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    I hate to say it but with the way our country is going, just wait till the next mass shooting event. What then?
    Maybe the president will call a national emergency to keep teenage mass shooting survivors from speaking out against gun violence.
    Maybe call a second emergency to make sure they don't get into college. I remember that being something the GOP threw a fit about.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Six hours after he declares immigration a "national emergency", while admitting he "didn't need to do this" but "just wanted to do it faster" (which will likely lead to an easy dismissal in a court hearing for this being an abuse of power), Trump will handle that emergency by getting on a plane and going golfing in Florida for three or four days.

Inspiring stuff. I remember reading how after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, that FDR shot hoops with friends over the weekend.

Pelosi literally warned them what is ahead if the Republicans don't stand up and all. They best do it , because at some point a Democrat will get in as President and they can literally do this same playbook. So the ball is in their court. They best hop that plane to his golf course and tell him what a fucking idiot he is.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Pelosi literally warned them what is ahead if the Republicans don't stand up and all. They best do it , because at some point a Democrat will get in as President and they can literally do this same playbook. So the ball is in their court. They best hop that plane to his golf course and tell him what a fucking idiot he is.
    They won’t. Republicans are in too deep with the Orange Menace to pull out after all this time. They either believe in what he’s doing, or they’re too cowed by Trump to even consider challenging him.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    We'd also need a democrat that didn't fold at the bad faith cries of hypocrisy.

An 11-year-old boy was arrested at school following his refusal to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and allegedly threatening his teacher.
    On February 4th, the 11-year-old student at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Fla., was asked, along with his classmates, to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, according to Bay News 9. Instead, the boy told his substitute teacher that the American flag is racist against black people.
    The teacher recapped everything in a handwritten statement to the district. “Why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live,” she reportedly told him, and the boy responded, “They brought me here.”
    Arrested.

/Arrested/.

Of course.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boy-...194843816.html

I'm sure that the 'threat' was 'being black in class and refusing to back down on saying the pledge'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-15-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    How the hell does this lead to an arrest? Even ignoring the school is 100% in the wrong how does this escalate to a fucking arrest?! Is calling his mom not an option? Is sending him to the office not an option? Jesus.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    How the hell does this lead to an arrest? Even ignoring the school is 100% in the wrong how does this escalate to a fucking arrest?! Is calling his mom not an option? Is sending him to the office not an option? Jesus.
    The article says that the sub claimed he 'threatened' her.

I'm guessing that the threat was being black, in her proximity and refusing to do what she said.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.

So, the Jussie Smollett case...

This evening, the two men who had been questioned have been released with no charges. In addition, the police seem to be saying that they no longer view them as possible suspects.

That said, they seem to have been the men that Smollett has said were the attackers. Don't know what to make out of what seems to be the disconnect there.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, the Jussie Smollett case...

This evening, the two men who had been questioned have been released with no charges. In addition, the police seem to be saying that they no longer view them as possible suspects.

That said, they seem to have been the men that Smollett has said were the attackers. Don't know what to make out of what seems to be the disconnect there.
    Because they're all black so CPD doesn't really care.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Because they're all black so CPD doesn't really care.
    While that is surely often the case, not really what I meant.

Unless it is one of the worst "Communications" jobs ever, the police seem to be saying "They were the two men in the photo. Those men were probably not involved."

If that is what they are saying, that seems to be the exact opposite of what Smollett has said.