Page 786 of 786 FirstFirst ... 286686736776782783784785786
Results 11,776 to 11,786 of 11786

Six hours after he declares immigration a "national emergency", while admitting he "didn't need to do this" but "just wanted to do it faster" (which will likely lead to an easy dismissal in a court hearing for this being an abuse of power), Trump will handle that emergency by getting on a plane and going golfing in Florida for three or four days.

Inspiring stuff. I remember reading how after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, that FDR shot hoops with friends over the weekend.
    Last edited by worstblogever; Today at 12:19 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

“The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot.” -- Ann Coulter

For once, we agree.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    In all fairness, if the nominee has the votes anyway, I'd rather see these people, who occupy vulnerable spots, vote to confirm them. At least it is one less thing to be tied directly to the party and something they can point to when campaigning. I don't understand why people care so much about what these vulnerable Democrats do when the vote is going to break down in a particular way anyway.

Wasn't the information leaked? Yeah, that was pretty uncool to out someone who didn't want to be referred to. No argument here. However, it is also clear that no judicial nominee should've reacted like that. That was the performance of an entitled child who got his hand caught in the cookie jar and was now threatened with not getting a new gaming system he was promised. It was embarrassing. And he shouldn't have even had his name considered past that point.

I would just like to note that the reasons that you are defending Kavanaugh are precisely the reasons why my friend didn't come out about her sexual assault. Why would anyone believe her in a he-said, she-said process where he doesn't have a history of sexual assault otherwise? The fact that the entire party made this argument makes me sick to my stomach and, frankly, everyone who did ought to be ashamed of themselves.

It's not about uncorroborated allegations at the end of the day. At the end of the day, Kavanaugh was confirmed in spite of blatantly partisan rhetoric (which is actually illegal for judges to do) that he engaged in. We've now set the precedent that judges can engage in blatantly partisan rhetoric, shattering the norm that the judiciary is independent and above that of the political fray. Again, there were plenty of other candidates that were equally, or more, qualified to hold that position even on that list that Trump put out. What was different about Kavanaugh? His ideas about unlimited power for the executive. That's what. The other candidates were in no way less impressive.

Again, why wouldn't Democrats have employed these kinds of tactics, since you seem to think that these allegations were trumped up for political reasons, when Gorsuch was being considered? They would've had an even better hand at the time, as they would've still had the ability to filibuster the nominee and the argument that the seat was unrightfully held open so that it could be filled by a Republican president (who didn't even secure a plurality of the vote in the prior election). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wait to use the tactic on a nominee that didn't have all of that baggage against him as well.
    As a society, we probably don't deal with ambiguity very well, where it's possible that someone did a terrible thing and is now lying about, and it's also possible that the same person is wrongly accused. We each have our own standards, and these should be clearly articulated.

I'm not convinced Kavanaugh was clearly wrong in anything he said, which is why I'm not bothered by what you call blatantly partisan rhetoric. If you want to discuss specific quotations, I can do that.

His resume was actually rather impressive. He was widely considered a potential Supreme Court pick for Romney. A USA Today description said that on paper, he may have been the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in decades.

On paper, Brett Michael Kavanaugh may be the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in generations.

Like Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Clarence Thomas, he has served on the second-most powerful court in the nation. Like Justices Anthony Kennedy, Stephen Breyer, Samuel Alito, Sonia Sotomayor and Neil Gorsuch, he brings more than a decade's experience as a federal appeals court judge. And like Justice Elena Kagan, he has worked at the side of a two-term president.

But Kavanaugh's 12 years on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, combined with his Yale pedigree, Supreme Court clerkship under retiring Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy and top posts under President George W. Bush, give him a résumé the court's current justices can't match.

It may be in his blood: Even his mother, Martha, became a Maryland state judge a quarter-century ago.

"I have interviewed many candidates for the federal bench, including Roberts and Alito," said Bush's former attorney general, Alberto Gonzales. "There is no question in my mind regarding Brett for the Supreme Court. He has a track record that demonstrates his talents and his judicial philosophy."

More than anyone else in conservative legal circles today, Kavanaugh, 53, has been viewed as a Supreme Court justice-in-waiting. While waiting, he has written some 300 opinions and sent 41 of his law clerks to similar posts at the high court — far more than any of his competitors for the nomination.
    As for why Democrats didn't use these tactics against Gorsuch, the main difference is that there wasn't the initial allegation. Once the first allegation came out against Kavanaugh, more emerged that were patently BS.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    People can change in nearly 3 decades. Look at Giuliani.
    It's also not a matter of the person changing, but the circumstances changing.

One can avoid any side-argument about Barr's merits as a human being by noting that views that would be fine for George HW Bush's Attorney General are a problem with a president who was under FBI investigation, and who fired the previous Attorney General for not getting involved in that investigation.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

For once, we agree.
    It took Coulter THIS long to figure that out? Clearly she didn’t get the memo about Trump being a dope.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"45 year low on illegal border crossings this year. Ice and Border Patrol Agents are doing a great job for our Country. MS-13 thugs being hit hard."

Donald Trump, 2/28/2018
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    As a society, we probably don't deal with ambiguity very well, where it's possible that someone did a terrible thing and is now lying about, and it's also possible that the same person is wrongly accused. We each have our own standards, and these should be clearly articulated.
    My standard is that someone who is innocent is unabashed in their desire do a thorough investigation rather than continually going around the question or going back to evidence you, yourself, provided (the calendars). Given that, his entitled attitude, and the real level of credibility shown by the victim, I think that I’m within my rights to believe the accusation against him.

I'm not convinced Kavanaugh was clearly wrong in anything he said, which is why I'm not bothered by what you call blatantly partisan rhetoric. If you want to discuss specific quotations, I can do that.

Go to 1:50 in the video. While the rest is an indignant defense of himself, which comes across like an entitled child, that is the important part. “Revenge on behalf of the Clintons”? Using the “George Soros” line? “Democratic members of this committee”? I can tell you right now that Obama would’ve pulled a nominee if they had behaved like that and said those things. Full stop.

His resume was actually rather impressive. He was widely considered a potential Supreme Court pick for Romney. A USA Today description said that on paper, he may have been the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in decades.
    Largely debatable. Again, he wasn’t even on the initial list of potential justices provided by the Federalist Society. He wasn’t stellar enough to get recognition on that level. So, again, why was Kavanaugh the hill that Republicans like Susan Collins were willing to die on? Because, especially given his recent dissent, it’s gonna be tough for her to explain what she did.

As for why Democrats didn't use these tactics against Gorsuch, the main difference is that there wasn't the initial allegation. Once the first allegation came out against Kavanaugh, more emerged that were patently BS.
    If Ford had a credibility problem and it got that far, why not just start from scratch? Or could it be because Ford was credible that we believed others as they came out?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Six hours after he declares immigration a "national emergency", while admitting he "didn't need to do this" but "just wanted to do it faster" (which will likely lead to an easy dismissal in a court hearing for this being an abuse of power), Trump will handle that emergency by getting on a plane and going golfing in Florida for three or four days.

Inspiring stuff. I remember reading how after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, that FDR shot hoops with friends over the weekend.
    Dear Lord he's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    OH WBE-EEEeeeeeee...

https://theweek.com/speedreads/82397...xion-rationale

"We have to keep the death penalty so we can kill Jesus again" is... an idea, I guess.
    Wasn't that the plot of the Green Mile?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

For once, we agree.
    ...wasn't the urgency to get the wall built due, in part, to Coulter calling him out on not fulfilling this specific campaign promise??
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    I hate to say it but with the way our country is going, just wait till the next mass shooting event. What then?
    Maybe the president will call a national emergency to keep teenage mass shooting survivors from speaking out against gun violence.
    Maybe call a second emergency to make sure they don't get into college. I remember that being something the GOP threw a fit about.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

Pelosi literally warned them what is ahead if the Republicans don't stand up and all. They best do it , because at some point a Democrat will get in as President and they can literally do this same playbook. So the ball is in their court. They best hop that plane to his golf course and tell him what a fucking idiot he is.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.