Page 167 of 985 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267667 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 14769
    Ultimate Member

It's not a matter of whether it was done to impress Trump: it's a matter of whether Trump chose him specifically due to the fact that he might feel that a president is above the law in certain circumstances -- like being a Republican candidate under federal investigation who nominated you to your lifetime position on the Supreme Court so that you can help your Federalist Society compatriots on said court overturn Roe vs Wade, Civil Rights acts, and maintain gun laws that allow for mass shootings at schools and other public venues every few months.

If people think the worst of Kavanaugh in that respect, it's only because the Republican party has earned said mistrust -- the fact that they are rushing the process while blocking thousands of documents relevant to his questioning only makes it all the more suspect.

-----
    "Kavanaugh, a member of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, has a good chance of being confirmed when the Senate votes later this month.

Under questioning from senators, he would not say whether Trump is correct in claiming an ‘absolute right’ to self-pardon or whether presidents have to respond to subpoenas.

Kavanaugh also declined to say whether Roe v. Wade was correctly decided or whether he would uphold a law requiring coverage for preexisting conditions and defended his dissent in a 2011 ruling that upheld Washington, D.C.’s ban on semiautomatic rifles."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.4e71db7db2c0
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-18-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I believe the term is vetting.
    I addressed that specific point a few posts ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How would vetting cover an allegation about events at a gathering among 5-6 teenagers 35 years ago when the only people the accuser has told are her husband and her psychiatrist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    The fact that you think the dems held onto this maliciously but assume that a letter from 65 people who know Brett spontaneously spawned in a day is very telling.
    I didn't say they held onto it maliciously. It was self-serving but the decisions didn't come from a bad place.

From my understanding, Feinstein wanted to preserve the anonymity of a woman who did not want to go public with an accusation. Feinstein was also uncomfortable with making an issue of something that occurred while the nominee was a minor. Someone on her staff disagreed with her decision to keep this private, and started talking about it. For them, this reflected problems of privilege, as well as an opportunity to make sure someone who would damage the country (from the perspective of a Democratic staffer) won't get a high honor. As other Democrat Senators and their staffers became apprised of the situation, they disagreed with Feinstein's decision, especially as things got closer and closer to the vote. Someone leaked it to the press, which encouraged Ms. Ford to go public with her allegation, which was what Feinstein was waiting for in the first place.

As far as I can tell, no one made the intentional decision to sit on this information until the most damaging moment to release it. It just has the same effect.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Why should they be rewarded for waiting so long with a letter they've had since July 24?
    I'm not sure there's a reward they're looking for, there doesn't seem to be a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

The way I look at it, this is the Dems finally deciding to go low to counter the GOP going low. The GOP wanted to bury something inconvenient, instead of letting it out right away the Dems held on to it to throw it in their face when it was most politically useful. There only seems to be one goal, and that's to stall until the midterm, and causing a public outrage days before the vote might get them that. A dick move, sure, but I've definitely heard some Democrats say that's what they want to see. Counter bad behavior by being the bigger bastard, or something like that.

Ultimate Member

Federalist Society - Supreme Court justices Antonin Scalia, John G. Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Society

"I think one strong indicator of Federal Society influence here -- if you think about Trump's other Cabinet nominees, his secretary nominees, he tends to gravitate towards nepotism, people who have been loyal, faithful. They're his friends.

"When you look at his list of judges and the people that he's put on the bench, it's been entirely controlled by the Federal Society. And that is an indicator of the pull that the Federal Society has within that space, that Trump wouldn't dare nominate someone who was just a family friend."

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/28/62441...me-court-picks
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-18-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I'm not sure there's a reward they're looking for, there doesn't seem to be a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

The way I look at it, this is the Dems finally deciding to go low to counter the GOP going low. The GOP wanted to bury something inconvenient, instead of letting it out right away the Dems held on to it to throw it in their face when it was most politically useful. There only seems to be one goal, and that's to stall until the midterm, and causing a public outrage days before the vote might get them that. A dick move, sure, but I've definitely heard some Democrats say that's what they want to see. Counter bad behavior by being the bigger bastard, or something like that.
    I like just finished listening to a podcast about how the letter came about. lol https://www.nytimes.com/podcasts/the-daily

I honestly don't think Dianne Feinstein would have ever told anyone about the letter so long as Dr Ford didn't want it to come out. But word started to leak about the letter so other democrats confronted Feinstein and convinced her to at least send it to the FBI. It was then put in Kavanaugh's background file. The media got a whiff of it, and once they began sniffing around Dr Ford's work and home she felt it best to come out.

I just don't think of these kind of stunts when it comes to Feinstein. One of the younger, more fiery democrats sure, but Feinstein? I don't think she's the type to play such games. I think, like most older members of the senate, she values bipartisanship a bit to much(arguably of course).

I didn't say they held onto it maliciously. It was self-serving but the decisions didn't come from a bad place.

From my understanding, Feinstein wanted to preserve the anonymity of a woman who did not want to go public with an accusation. Feinstein was also uncomfortable with making an issue of something that occurred while the nominee was a minor. Someone on her staff disagreed with her decision to keep this private, and started talking about it. For them, this reflected problems of privilege, as well as an opportunity to make sure someone who would damage the country (from the perspective of a Democratic staffer) won't get a high honor. As other Democrat Senators and their staffers became apprised of the situation, they disagreed with Feinstein's decision, especially as things got closer and closer to the vote. Someone leaked it to the press, which encouraged Ms. Ford to go public with her allegation, which was what Feinstein was waiting for in the first place.

As far as I can tell, no one made the intentional decision to sit on this information until the most damaging moment to release it. It just has the same effect.
    You still referred to it as Democrats being "rewarded."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    I like just finished listening to a podcast about how the letter came about. lol https://www.nytimes.com/podcasts/the-daily

I honestly don't think Dianne Feinstein would have ever told anyone about the letter so long as Dr Ford didn't want it to come out. But word started to leak about the letter so other democrats confronted Feinstein and convinced her to at least send it to the FBI. It was then put in Kavanaugh's background file. The media got a whiff of it, and once they began sniffing around Dr Ford's work and home she felt it best to come out.

I just don't think of these kind of stunts when it comes to Feinstein. One of the younger, more fiery democrats sure, but Feinstein? I don't think she's the type to play such games. I think, like most older members of the senate, she values bipartisanship a bit to much(arguably of course).
    I agree with this. It’s very similar to the Stormy Daniels thing where both parties didn’t want it to get out but the story was about to break so they gmhad nothing left to lose

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    You still referred to it as Democrats being "rewarded."
    This speaks to how the GOP view every political battle as a "win" they need to get.

When maybe they should look at the fact that they're trying to "win" with a team that consists of several players who are pedophiles, serial sexual predators, attempted rapists, sexual harassers, and white collar criminals.

That team would be the first people to get shivved in a prison yard.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    This speaks to how the GOP view every political battle as a "win" they need to get.

When maybe they should look at the fact that they're trying to "win" with a team that consists of several players who are pedophiles, serial sexual predators, attempted rapists, sexual harassers, and white collar criminals.

That team would be the first people to get shivved in a prison yard.
    They don’t care. People need to get a clue. The party that caters to the religious right overlooked an adulterer, a con man, accused of fraud, discrimination, lies daily, is vulgar, talks about banging his daughter, who brags about sexual assault because he would give them political victories. And you know what. It kinda worked out for him

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    "Rewarded"? The hell?

Instead of being mad at this guy for his actions, or at Trump for nominating this guy, or at the GOP for pushing this guy this hard, you're blaming the Democrats. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking like this.
    As we used to say on the old Joe Quesada boards:
    "But how does this hurt DC?"
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post

There is a lesson to be learned from both the Anita Hill experience as well as now Dr. Ford's experience. It is a harsh lesson. If you were the victim of any level of sexual abuse, and the person who perpetrated it is someone in the public eye, especially someone being considered for a high level government position, then you really have only two choices.

Say nothing - don't tell anyone who might then tell someone who then might eventually leak it to the news media

or

Get a good Lawyer who will help you get all your evidence together, then put your name on it. Trying to get the story out while remaining anonymous is nearly impossible, unless you are just one of many all accusing the same person of the same type of criminal act. You might as well skip the 'off the record' part and just accept that your life is about to be turned upside down.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There's /also/ that. There's little doubt that Kavanaugh's previous statements on executive power and privilege got Trump to support him. They had no way of knowing he had this particular skeleton in his closet, though, so it's really just deserts.
    I'm beginning to wonder what the percentage of powerful white men without skeletons in their closets is. I'd guess somewhere between 6 and 23 percent.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I guess it's realistic to find 65 women defending Kavanaugh in that short time if you consider that the GOP tends to have binders full of women.

Hillary was right!

In the interests of letting everyone keep their breakfasts down, I'm not going to link, but...

The Guardian got excerpts of Stormy Daniels' forthcoming book, and she described the shape and size of Donald Trump's...

Yeah. That's not something I'm going to get into, but I'll just say it is not a flattering description.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    In the interests of letting everyone keep their breakfasts down, I'm not going to link, but...

The Guardian got excerpts of Stormy Daniels' forthcoming book, and she described the shape and size of Donald Trump's...

Yeah. That's not something I'm going to get into, but I'll just say it is not a flattering description.
    Stormy has made life 'interesting' for Trump, but I can't see why any woman would willingly get involved with him.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.