Page 171 of 985 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221271671 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I don’t know what to think of this. On the Democrat side I get you want to vet the **** out of this allegation but the reality is that it’s unlikely you are going to find anything new on attempted rape allegation from 30 years ago where only 3 people were in the room and two deny it ever happening while the one who says something happened allegedly never told anyone until decades after. It’s still ultimately coming down to Ford’s word vs Kavanaugh and Judges. It’s virtually impossible to prove beyond whoever you believe more. If you’re a Republican, you don’t want to delay the vote at all especially for something that’s almost gauranteed timtirn up inconclusive so you either do the testimony or you move forward, but you don’t want to come off line you are sweeping this under the rug. If there wasn’t a clock in this I think it would be different
    It seems like their defense for not being able to recall details, when the victim does have a vivid memory of what happened is going to have to be, "I do not recall", which will lead to a line of questioning about "Is your memory bad because you were drunk? Like you were drunk ALL these other times by your own admission, and like you spent most of your young adult life? Could there be other women you don't recall assaulting, because it seems like you were asking people to stop their spouses from talking after some boat trips..."

Even if the public doesn't perceive him as an attempted rapist, they're gonna get the idea that he's a drunken fratboy with terrible opinions about women. And that's still not a good luck for a Supreme Court Justice, or that the GOP would back someone like that for the highest court in the land. Politically, it might be better if he withdraws.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

I don’t know what to think of this. On the Democrat side I get you want to vet the **** out of this allegation but the reality is that it’s unlikely you are going to find anything new on attempted rape allegation from 30 years ago where only 3 people were in the room and two deny it ever happening...
    One. There's only one of the three who denies anything happened.

Ultimate Member

I don’t know what to think of this. On the Democrat side I get you want to vet the **** out of this allegation but the reality is that it’s unlikely you are going to find anything new on attempted rape allegation from 30 years ago where only 3 people were in the room and two deny it ever happening while the one who says something happened allegedly never told anyone until decades after. It’s still ultimately coming down to Ford’s word vs Kavanaugh and Judges. It’s virtually impossible to prove beyond whoever you believe more. If you’re a Republican, you don’t want to delay the vote at all especially for something that’s almost gauranteed timtirn up inconclusive so you either do the testimony or you move forward, but you don’t want to come off line you are sweeping this under the rug. If there wasn’t a clock in this I think it would be different
    At a certain point we need to stop thinking about these things in terms of politics -- given the information at hand, there is the very real possibility that Kavanaugh assaulted this woman and lied about it under oath. It's not a good sign when your "friend" won't even testify in your defense, especially when said friend is known to have similar issues with women -- where there is smoke there is often fire.

Regardless of how one might feel about either "side", both individuals in this situation deserve the right to due process and a real investigation in order to determine what really happened that night -- if Kavanaugh is found innocent then his name is cleared and he proceeds through to the next step of his confirmation as planned.

Conversely, if it's determined that he is lying and he did in fact assault Ford then it's critical that we know the truth before we appoint him to the Supreme Court. Ironically, there may be information in the documents that the Republicans are blocking that might shed more light on this case as well, which only raises further suspicion and likewise accentuates the need for more transparency with regards to the nominee in question.

It makes absolutely no sense to rush this process, especially given these newest allegations -- if it takes a little longer to get to the truth then so be it.
    That's how our judicial process works: Kavanaugh is not above the law just because he is a Supreme Court nominee and in fact should be held to an even higher standard.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-19-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think the alleged incident if true just bears out that Judge Kavanaugh is a creepy guy under those judicial robes. I've had that feeling since I read the 10 or so explicit questions about sexual activities he suggested Ken Starr ask Monica Lewinsky. It seemed like he wanted to know for his own jollies.

Ultimate Member

For you, this is just another post on a message board -- for the parents and children in question, this is a living nightmare.

-------
    "U.S. Loses Track of Another 1,500 Migrant Children, Investigators Find"

"The Trump administration is unable to account for the whereabouts of nearly 1,500 migrant children who illegally entered the United States alone this year and were placed with sponsors after leaving federal shelters, according to congressional findings released on Tuesday.

The revelation echoes an admission in April by the Department of Health and Human Services that the government had similarly lost track of an additional 1,475 migrant children it had moved out of shelters last year.

In findings that lawmakers described as troubling, Senate investigators said the department could not determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,488 out of 11,254 children the agency had placed with sponsors in 2018, based on follow-up calls from April 1 to June 30.

The inability to track the whereabouts of migrant children after they have been released to sponsors has raised concerns that they could end up with human traffickers or be used as laborers by people posing as relatives..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/u...reabouts-.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-19-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    At a certain point we need to stop thinking about these things in terms of politics -- given the information at hand, there is the very real possibility that Kavanaugh assaulted this woman and lied about it under oath. It's not a good sign when your "friend" won't even testify in your defense, especially when said friend is known to have similar issues with women -- where there is smoke there is often fire.

Regardless of how one might feel about either "side", both individuals in this situation deserve the right to due process and a real investigation in order to determine what really happened that night -- if Kavanaugh is found innocent then his name is cleared and he proceeds through to the next step of his confirmation as planned.

Conversely, if it's determined that he is lying and he did in fact assault Ford then it's critical that we know the truth before we appoint him to the Supreme Court. Ironically, there may be information in the documents that the Republicans are blocking that might shed more light on this case as well, which only raises further suspicion and likewise accentuates the need for more transparency with regards to the nominee in question.

It makes absolutely no sense to rush this process, especially given these newest allegations -- if it takes a little longer to get to the truth then so be it.
    That's how our judicial process works: Kavanaugh is not above the law just because he is a Supreme Court nominee and in fact should be held to an even higher standard.
    The problem is if you take politics out of it you run into the dead end of it’s going to impossible to conclusively determine what happened unless one of the three admits to lying. Nobody was there besides them, nothing was reported, it was apparently never discussed by the alleged victim until several decades after the fact. On that level I do see the point Republicans are making that an FBI investigation will almost exclusively still come down to her testimony vs his and probably will only serve drag it out. It’s 35 years later, I can’t see the possibility at all of any physical evidence existing either on the victim or in the room it happened. Only 3 people were apparently in the room. If it happened it only got to the point of attempted rape, so it’s not like there’s going to be a rape kit or some signs of penetration. And I can imagine you are going to find many witnesses able to corroborate which people were in what rooms at what times at a 30 year old high school party.

Unfortunately I think it’s just coming down to what she says vs what they say and at that point just have an FBI investigator at the testimony to ask relevant questions.

The reality is if the goal is to stop Kavanaugh outright the best bet is too put Ford on a stand to sell her account and let the public decide if they find her credible and force the Republican Senate to die on that hill or nominate someone else.

Ultimate Member

The problem is if you take politics out of it you run into the dead end of it’s going to impossible to conclusively determine what happened unless one of the three admits to lying.
    Regardless of what we think the outcome may be, both individuals deserve to have their day in court regarding these allegations -- just because you might not "see" how there can be a conclusive result doesn't mean that a real and thorough investigation shouldn't move forward.

Realistically speaking, said lack of relevant details only supports the argument for further investigation -- there are plenty of other people out there who might be able to place Kavanaugh at that party, or possibly prove that he was elsewhere that night.

Both of the individuals in question deserve due process and so does the American public given Kavanaugh's potential lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Personally, I still stand by the fact that I think anyone nominated by Trump is suspect, if not invalid -- if it's determined (by Mueller) that he actively and knowingly used illegal means to help win the election then I think all of his appointees and the majority of his executive decisions should be disqualified and annulled: the way I was raised, we don't reward cheaters with victory -- certainly not with a Presidency -- and Trump is showing exactly why that rule exists.

But I can put all of that aside and say that if a fair and thorough investigation finds Kavanaugh -- or Trump -- innocent and shows proof as such, then my opinion on the matter is irrelevant.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-19-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Regardless of what we think the outcome may be, both individuals deserve to have their day in court regarding these allegations -- just because you might not "see" how there can be a conclusive result doesn't mean that a real and thorough investigation shouldn't move forward.

Both of the individuals in question deserve that much and so does the American public given Kavanaugh's potential lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
    I'm all for a complete and thorough investigation into this matter, I don't care how long it takes, politics and midterms be damned. Justice HAS to come first here, the truth HAS to be brought out into the open for all to see. The last thing this democracy needs is for a possible liar and rapist like Kavanaugh serving on the highest court in the land for decades, that would be abominable. But, Republicans are hellbent on rushing this nomination through, my suspicion, which I've already voiced, being they need Bob 'n' Weave Brett to be Trump's lifeline against impeachment proceedings, not to mention the fact he would help kill Roe v. Wade.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm all for a complete and thorough investigation into this matter, I don't care how long it takes, politics and midterms be damned. Justice HAS to come first here, the truth HAS to be brought out into the open for all to see. The last thing this democracy needs is for a possible liar and rapist like Kavanaugh serving on the highest court in the land for decades, that would be abominable. But, Republicans are hellbent on rushing this nomination through, my suspicion, which I've already voiced, being they need Bob 'n' Weave Brett to be Trump's lifeline against impeachment proceedings, not to mention the fact he would help kill Roe v. Wade.
    If the Congressional Republicans were smart, they would figure out a way to ditch Kavanugh and get trump to nominate someone who doens't have so much baggage. Maybe it's a good thing they aren't all that smart.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm all for a complete and thorough investigation into this matter, I don't care how long it takes, politics and midterms be damned. Justice HAS to come first here, the truth HAS to be brought out into the open for all to see.
    Rushing hearings, blocking documents, trying to put a deadline on the Mueller investigations -- it's almost as if the Republican party has something to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If the Congressional Republicans were smart, they would figure out a way to ditch Kavanugh and get trump to nominate someone who doens't have so much baggage. Maybe it's a good thing they aren't all that smart.
    Cheating can only get you so far: their limitations are revealed every time they get into office but unfortunately it's everyone but the 1% who has to suffer for it.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-19-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Yep.

If there was ever a "Golden Ticket" chance to get a Republican woman onto The Supreme Court, it just fell into their laps.

BANNED

I think Trump is psychologically unable to nominate people without skeleton armies in their closets.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think Trump is psychologically unable to nominate people without skeleton armies in their closets.
    It's a great way to ensure loyalty amongst the criminal -- I think the Russians call it "kompromat".

It tends to work against you, however, once the "criminal" runs into something that is more threatening than said "kompromat" -- like the Department of Justice and a long prison sentence.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-19-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yep. If there was ever a "Golden Ticket" chance to get a Republican woman onto The Supreme Court, it just fell into their laps.
    Trump passed on nominating Amy Cohen Barrett, who made it to the final 3, for Kavanaugh. She's Catholic, and was a clerk for Scalia. She would have easily been a vote to overturn Roe v. Wade...

But the promise made to Justice Kennedy to get him to retire was that they would pick one of HIS clerks to take his place. Barrett also didn't have the most bench experience... but really, Trump's a misogynist, and unless Barrett was also a runway model to get Toad's Mario Kart engine revving up for the old bastard, he wasn't gonna pick her.

Hell, even money says if Kavanaugh does go up in flames, they'll take another look at the other Kennedy clerk, Raymond Kethledge. Provided he isn't a drunk or a rapist... but conservatives won't like it as much because he's not necessarily a solid vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, it's clear the GOP is ready and raring to die on their hill for Kavanaugh rather than give Democrats a victory by backing away from the pick. Meanwhile, Bob 'n' Weave Brett won't do the right thing under the circumstances and rescind his nomination, showing to me he lacks the moral center to be a member of SCOTUS. But then, I guess Trump picked Kavanaugh because he lacks morals.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!