Page 404 of 985 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414454504904 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I didn't think Trump would even consider appointing Christie. Wasn't Christie the prosecutor who prosecuted and jailed the father of Jared who is the son-in-law of Trump? Will Jared stand for it?
    Honestly, I feel like it's might just be one more thing Trump can dangle in front of Christie even though Christie is probably never going to have a snowball's chance of being A.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    He is the kind of new blood the Dems need, but I'm not sure he should go for Pres so soon after the loss to Cruz. If no one else that has been bandied about steps up and he decides to run I'd vote for him if he became the candidate, but he needs a big national win under his belt to properly excite the voting public beyond just the base IMO.
    I think that the fact he came this close demonstrates the kind of broad appeal that Democrats want to have going into 2020. He came within three points in a state that is +10% Republican. That's an impressive showing and he also came off of a multi-year successful run as a House Democrat. I think that he does have broad appeal in the nation, especially after refusing SuperPAC and PAC money. I don't doubt he can translate his success at driving energy among young people and moderates here to the national level, like Obama did in 2008. At the very least, I would certainly go for him after a candidate like Kamala Harris.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Kemp has resigned as Secretary of State. The fix is already in so I'm not sure even if Abrams forces a recount that it would matter.
    I don't know why she's bothering with the recount. It's not the votes that were cast that are in question, it's the ones that weren't because of Kemp's deliberate voter suppression actions.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 11-08-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I think that the fact he came this close demonstrates the kind of broad appeal that Democrats want to have going into 2020. He came within three points in a state that is +10% Republican. That's an impressive showing and he also came off of a multi-year successful run as a House Democrat. I think that he does have broad appeal in the nation, especially after refusing SuperPAC and PAC money. I don't doubt he can translate his success at driving energy among young people and moderates here to the national level, like Obama did in 2008. At the very least, I would certainly go for him after a candidate like Kamala Harris.
    It's less about appeal than the stumbles it looks like his campaign had in trying to gain the Latino vote.

If the nuts and bolts are that flawed, it might not matter what your potential appeal is.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It's less about appeal than the stumbles it looks like his campaign had in trying to gain the Latino vote.

If the nuts and bolts are that flawed, it might not matter what your potential appeal is.
    I think that those are things that largely are issues of campaign infrastructure. As a result of having a totally decimated party infrastructure, the campaign had to do it all on its lonesome. The Democratic Party has infrastructure that can help with these things and they were largely effective in Nevada and other states where they focus their attention. It is clear, though, that they need to take the model of the Obama campaign also doing these things as the Clinton campaign didn't focus enough on shoring up support in other demographics.

I do think the potential appeal is really big and that is a huge and important factor, provided you have necessary and sufficient infrastructure to let that appeal be broad.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't know if he's the man for the job but maybe Romney will be the beginning of their party's rehabilitation. The reason why Trump is running roughshod over the rule of law and our Constitution is this generation of Republicans lacks a Howard Dean or a Barry Goldwater, who eventually saw to it that Nixon had to be stopped after the Saturday Night Massacre. And you had whistle blowers like John Dean and then there was Attorney Elliot Richardson, who would rather resign that be forced to carry out Nixon's order to fire the special Watergate prosecutor Archibald Cox. Lindsay Graham was a fair weather patriot and barely waited for John McCain's to be buried before he became Trump's golfing buddy. Trump has made league sychophants, crooks and narrow minded old men his toadies in the Senate and the House. It remains to be seen if these Republicans can find their "better angels"
    For those “better angels” to emerge among Republicans, they would have to do the honorable thing and put the country and the Constitution ahead of their party, that’s the only way they can stop Trump. The problem is the partisanship has become so strong, so intractable, and the GOP’s insatiable lust for power, wealth and control so overwhelming, nothing else matters to them. There are no examples of Dean, Goldwater or Richardson to demonstrate the courage to do what’s right, there’s only cowards, sociopaths, cheaters and crooks all following Trump’s lead, and they’re perfectly fine with being scum. And things won’t change overnight until this generation of politicians are in the ground.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I don't know why she's bothering with the recount. It's not the votes that were cast that are in question, it's the ones that weren't because of Kemp's deliberate voter suppression actions.
    If with a recount, she can deny Kemp getting to 50%... there's a runoff election on Dec. 7th. One where Kemp will not be Sec. of State.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    If with a recount, she can deny Kemp getting to 50%... there's a runoff election on Dec. 7th. One where Kemp will not be Sec. of State.
    Yep.

While I see the point that Spike-X is making, there is no logical scenario not to make the case for a recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    He is the kind of new blood the Dems need, but I'm not sure he should go for Pres so soon after the loss to Cruz. If no one else that has been bandied about steps up and he decides to run I'd vote for him if he became the candidate, but he needs a big national win under his belt to properly excite the voting public beyond just the base IMO.
    I still expect Ted to try to get the Presidential nomination away from Trump. It won't work, but he's just a piece of crap that way.
    In the absolutely weirdest future, it could be Beto vs Cruz nationwide in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I still expect Ted to try to get the Presidential nomination away from Trump. It won't work, but he's just a piece of crap that way.
    In the absolutely weirdest future, it could be Beto vs Cruz nationwide in 2020.
    Wouldn't "Weirdest" be more like Sessions at the top of the ticket and not Cruz?

Well, this is some refreshing news... at last update, as Arizona continues counting those 400,000 mail-in ballots that Arizona Republicans were suing to just NOT COUNT...

Too late. Kyrsten Sinema has taken a 2,000 vote lead over Martha McSally in the U.S. Senate race.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Speaking of counting, Rick Scott is getting testy and paranoid.

In front of gov’s mansion, @FLGovScott says Floridians should be concerned about “rampant fraud,” “liberals” are trying to “steal” the U.S. Senate election from him, he is suing Broward & Palm Beach counties, asking FDLE to investigate and will pursue every legal action.

Somebody's extra cranky.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...23241193484288

Law Enforcement is looking into another big corruption scandal having to do with Election Fraud in #Broward and Palm Beach. Florida voted for Rick Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's take...

Fine? I can completely see Americans casting a "Bite Me" vote based on that they are facing a fine. That happens? You don't need a significant percentage to throw elections into something like chaos.

Something not enforced? It will be ignored.
    Logic would dictate that, but countries that do this still have a significantly higher voter turnout than we do.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, this is some refreshing news... at last update, as Arizona continues counting those 400,000 mail-in ballots that Arizona Republicans were suing to just NOT COUNT...

Too late. Kyrsten Sinema has taken a 2,000 vote lead over Martha McSally in the U.S. Senate race.
    According to your link, she's up 10k, now. Of course, the 40k votes for the green still hurt.