Page 412 of 985 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412413414415416422462512912 ... LastLast
Results 6,166 to 6,180 of 14769
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Republican moderates and blue dog democrats are more or less the same. I feel that Democrats have long been hijacked by status quo moderates ever since President Carter imo.
    Hillary Clinton's platform was the most progressive of any presidential candidate of the two big parties in history. She wasn't afraid to tackle LGBT rights, feminism and institutional racism.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Hillary Clinton's platform was the most progressive of any presidential candidate of the two big parties in history. She wasn't afraid to tackle LGBT rights, feminism and institutional racism.
    Sure after going against Barack, and Bernie. Which pulled her to the left. Would she have stayed there after she won tho? Who knows. But notice how Dems keep bringing up "Working Class White Voters"?

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Sure after going against Barack, and Bernie. Which pulled her to the left. Would she have stayed there after she won tho? Who knows. But notice how Dems keep bringing up "Working Class White Voters"?
    That's mostly the Independent who briefly was a Dem.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

BANNED

What's truthful about Donald "Central Park Five Should Fry" Trump not REALLY being a racist, just using it for being an opportunist? That is some grade A bullshit.

“Today, if he is a racist and a sexist, tomorrow he may be a great civil rights champion — if he thinks it gets him five more votes. He has no core values.”
    - Bernard "Bernie" Sanders on Donald Trump.
    It's called CONTEXT dude. The key phrase.. IF He thinks it gets him five more votes. He has no core values.

Context dude.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You know when it would have helped if Bernie called out Trump's racism? Any point from August of 2016-November of 2016. Weird that he was so quieter about it, then.
    Weird how Hillary was quiet about it then...
    I mean she did call them Deplorable... I'll give her that.

But here we go looking at 2016 again, while corporate types **** on Bernie again.
    /shrug I don't know what to tell you guys.

Again, I'm done with a couple of ya on the Bernie sucks no matter what thing, just as you're probably done with me on the "he can do no wrong thing."
    Let's just say he's not a Democrat, and call it a day.
    /shake?

BANNED

No, no it wasn't. I get your cheerleading for Hillary will NEVER end. But it was not, and most issues she did that WERE Progressive, she got from the old white guy you and WBE dislike.

In these last gasping weeks before the Iowa caucuses, Hillary Clinton has settled upon a political identity, declaring herself ‘‘a progressive who likes to get things done.’’ The label reassures left-wing Democrats that she shares their values while also signaling to the party’s centrists that she is above all pragmatic. Clinton introduced the phrase in October, at the first Democratic presidential debate, where it produced whoops of joy from the live audience: Here was Clinton striking back at the supposedly pie-in-the-sky Bernie Sanders. The Clinton campaign was so enthused by the response that it printed up bumper stickers with the phrase, and in early December, Clinton repeated it in an email to Howard Dean’s grass-roots group, Democracy for America, pleading for an endorsement.

Sanders supporters, unsurprisingly, tend to view Clinton’s bid for the ‘‘progressive’’ label as the height of hypocrisy. They tick off the many ways in which Sanders easily out-progressives his opponent: He voted against the Iraq war, while she voted for it; he voted against the 2008 bank bailout, while she voted for it. This message — that Sanders is the true ‘‘progressive’’ in the race — has shown impressive staying power, especially among left-leaning Democrats. A few weeks ago, Democracy for America rejected Clinton’s email appeal, endorsing Sanders with 87.9 percent of the membership’s vote.
    More ‘Progressive’ Than Thou

Attacking the ‘Woke’ Black Vote

According to a May Pew Research Center report, “The black voter turnout rate declined for the first time in 20 years in a presidential election.” The report said that the number of naturalized citizen voters was up from 2012 and the turnout rate for women was mostly unchanged from 2012.

And while the percentage of eligible millennials who said they voted in the last election rose among every other demographic group, it fell among black millennials.

Trump even had the audacity during one of his thank you rallies to laud his voter suppression efforts and thank black voters for not voting:

“They didn’t come out to vote for Hillary. They didn’t come out. And that was a big — so thank you to the African-American community.”

Now, it can surely be argued that the numbers for women and other minorities might have been even higher had it not been for the suppressive efforts, but at least their turnout numbers didn’t decline. For black people, they did. It is entirely possible that many, if not most of, the black people who decided not to vote in this election would have done so even without Trump and Russian prodding. Also, President Obama wasn’t on the ballot.
    Last edited by Tazirai; 11-10-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    It's called CONTEXT dude. The key phrase.. IF He thinks it gets him five more votes. He has no core values.

Context dude.
    Spoiler alert:
    Racism is Trump's core "value." We've seen that for decades.

That is exactly what I was talking about, the context does NOT make it better, not one bit

Hillary was right!

Weird how Hillary was quiet about it then...
    I mean she did call them Deplorable... I'll give her that.
    Actually, she was pushing that narrative pretty hard—especially in the case of Hispanic individuals receiving Trump’s ire. Bernie was quite quiet on the front of racial issues, pretty much throughout the campaign. Part of it was a legitimate strategy (make the campaign universal and reset the focus on social programs that benefit anyone). But economic populism hasn’t been conducive to discussing social issues in the past. Even left populists, like LBJ and FDR, fought social progressivism in favor of economic populism. I think that’s the kind of reflection that many people saw in Bernie Sanders and why many people here may not like him. Pretty often you have to tie your horse to one post do to speak. Obama tied his horse to social progressivism. Sanders was more concerned with returning to economic populism, which characterized the party prior to Carter.

But here we go looking at 2016 again, while corporate types **** on Bernie again.
    /shrug I don't know what to tell you guys.
    I think we need to get away from the business of calling people that don’t like Sanders “corporate types”. I don’t see anyone calling you a derogatory slur for not liking Clinton on this forum (at least not nearly as often as you call those that disagree with you a “corporatist”). I understand that TYT does ascribe bad motivations to people that disagree with them but I think it is bad form to assume the worst of your opponent’s motivations. Especially when there is comparatively little that is disagreed upon between economic progressives and social progressives.

Again, I'm done with a couple of ya on the Bernie sucks no matter what thing, just as you're probably done with me on the "he can do no wrong thing."
    Let's just say he's not a Democrat, and call it a day.
    /shake?
    I don’t think, again, anyone is vilifying Bernie here. I think many people are annoyed by the martyrtization (is that a word?) of him but I think many people would’ve certainly voted for him over Trump, even those disagreeing with you. They would probably argue, though, that what annoys them is the self-righteousness that many Sanders supporters had in 2016 that they feel that Sanders didn’t do enough to promote the political calculus that would’ve made Sanders supporters do the same for Clinton in 2016.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

Spoiler alert:
    Racism is Trump's core "value." We've seen that for decades.

That is exactly what I was talking about, the context does NOT make it better, not one bit
    Jeezuz dude. Context isn't supposed to make things better or worse, but to give the CONTEXT for the quote.

Lemme ask you. Has your Hillary ever said anything that even in context is still ****?
    Like the time she shamed a black girl who paid to see her and denied her HER words about what she said about us black males?
    Or is it okay when a "Woke white woman" says it, but not a white male?
    I'm black by the way.

Did Hillary Clinton call African-American youth 'superpredators?'

CONTEXT. Still doesn't make it better, just clearer.

‘Superpredators’ in context

The "superpredators" line comes from a 1996 speech in New Hampshire, where Clinton spoke in support of the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which her husband, Bill Clinton, had signed in to law.

"We’re making some progress," Clinton said. "Much of it is related to the initiative called ‘community policing.’ Because we have finally gotten more police officers on the street. That was one of the goals that the president had when he pushed the crime bill that was passed in 1994."

Provisions of the act included a ban on some assault weapons, more funding for community policing and an expansion of the death penalty. The legislation, which was championed by Bill Clinton as a way to reduce the number of African-Americans being killed in drug-related incidents, has drawn criticism in recent years for sending disproportionate numbers of African-Americans to prison.

The "superpredator" remark, which Priebus and Trump referenced, was in the same speech a few lines later.

"But we also have to have an organized effort against gangs," Hillary Clinton said in a C-SPAN video clip. "Just as in a previous generation we had an organized effort against the mob. We need to take these people on. They are often connected to big drug cartels, they are not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators — no conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first, we have to bring them to heel.
    CONTEXT!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Actually, she was pushing that narrative pretty hard—especially in the case of Hispanic individuals receiving Trump’s ire. Bernie was quite quiet on the front of racial issues, pretty much throughout the campaign. Part of it was a legitimate strategy (make the campaign universal and reset the focus on social programs that benefit anyone). But economic populism hasn’t been conducive to discussing social issues in the past. Even left populists, like LBJ and FDR, fought social progressivism in favor of economic populism. I think that’s the kind of reflection that many people saw in Bernie Sanders and why many people here may not like him. Pretty often you have to tie your horse to one post do to speak. Obama tied his horse to social progressivism. Sanders was more concerned with returning to economic populism, which characterized the party prior to Carter.

I think we need to get away from the business of calling people that don’t like Sanders “corporate types”. I don’t see anyone calling you a derogatory slur for not liking Clinton on this forum (at least not nearly as often as you call those that disagree with you a “corporatist”). I understand that TYT does ascribe bad motivations to people that disagree with them but I think it is bad form to assume the worst of your opponent’s motivations. Especially when there is comparatively little that is disagreed upon between economic progressives and social progressives.

I don’t think, again, anyone is vilifying Bernie here. I think many people are annoyed by the martyrtization (is that a word?) of him but I think many people would’ve certainly voted for him over Trump, even those disagreeing with you. They would probably argue, though, that what annoys them is the self-righteousness that many Sanders supporters had in 2016 that they feel that Sanders didn’t do enough to promote the political calculus that would’ve made Sanders supporters do the same for Clinton in 2016.
    ---Bernie being quiet on racial issues is factually not true. Especially since I worked with the campaibn in North Carolina with a HIGH Black and Hispanic population. Factually not true.

---On the corporatist types. Do you feel it's derogatory to you? If so why? Also a Corporatist isn't just someone who dislikes Bernie, so again you are factually inaccurate about me. YOU can call me whatever YOU want.
    My job isn't to be #civility, or make people feel comfortable. Joe Manchin is a Corporatist, do you agree or disagree? Heidi is a Corporatist, agree or disgaree? Donnelly a Corporatist, agree or disagree? Booker, a Corporatist agree or disagree.
    Those have literally nothing to do with Sanders, and Booker has worked with, and is working with Sanders on many issues. Guess what? He's still a corporatist.

So if you think Corporatist or Centrist is a Slur, ask the media to stop saying also. It's not just TYT, which I understand you dislike. But no, I won't call a fake Populist a Progressive to be civil. Sorry!

---You do know more people from Bernies side showed up to vote for Clinton in 2016, than her side did when she ran against Barack right?
    MORE of her supporters were upset at the AUDACITY of this MAN, to run against the annointed one (yes people thought she was owed the Presidency)

So lets add some facts to the math, then we can hopefulyl move on from this to the shitshow of Whitaker and Trump's actual corruption.

Here's How Many Bernie Sanders Supporters Ultimately Voted For Trump1-in-10-sanders-primary-voters-ended-up-supporting-trump-survey-finds

Context-----

Fully 12 percent of people who voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., in the 2016 Democratic presidential primaries voted for President Trump in the general election. That is according to the data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Study — a massive election survey of around 50,000 people. (For perspective, a run-of-the-mill survey measuring Trump's job approval right now has a sample of 800 to 1,500.)

Political science professor Brian Schaffner of University of Massachusetts, Amherst tweeted the data on Wednesday.
    More Context---

And according to one 2008 study, around 25 percent of Clinton primary voters in that election ended up voting for Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in the general. (In addition, the data showed 13 percent of McCain primary voters ended up voting for Obama, and 9 percent of Obama voters ended up voting for McCain — perhaps signaling something that swayed voters between primaries and the general election, or some amount of error in the data, or both.)
    So yeah...

BANNED

Now to what I originally intended to post lol.

Speaking if that moron Donnelly. This ad and his stances are why he lost. Support your base, don't **** on them! You think people will bow their heads because you both share a D next to your names?
    You run liked a Republican, they'll choose a real one. Manchin is the abusive spouse of WV, the voters there want better, but are scared of change.
    Do you really think a progressive Democrat (IE- whoever was the state chairman of the Bernie Sanders campaign in West Virginia) would have done better than Manchin in a state Trump won by 40+ points?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Is mets trying to say it was ever actually a real issue and not the bullshit Trump used to ramp up the hate for the election?
    Yes, it was and is an issue.

As far as I know, Trump wasn't the one to bring it up. I'm sure Fox News and Trump have exaggerated it, but there are legitimate concerns about the precedent it would set however we respond. The problem isn't about whether we can absorb several thousand Central Americans in a caravan, but how others would react should they see that this is a way to be allowed into the United States.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you really think a progressive Democrat (IE- whoever was the state chairman of the Bernie Sanders campaign in West Virginia) would have done better than Manchin in a state Trump won by 40+ points?

Yes, it was and is an issue.

As far as I know, Trump wasn't the one to bring it up. I'm sure Fox News and Trump have exaggerated it, but there are legitimate concerns about the precedent it would set however we respond. The problem isn't about whether we can absorb several thousand Central Americans in a caravan, but how others would react should they see that this is a way to be allowed into the United States.

Bull effing crap. There are hundreds of thousand of asylum seekers in the US every year. The system could handle these requests. Refining the immigration system is something we should addressed. But Trump's lie about invasion was pure racist fear mongering. The people of the caravan were never going to be allowed to just walk in. And the truth is immigration is mainly a problem for the immigrants, America does not have an immigration problem as portrayed by your Party.
    Your continued sorrowful effort to put everything Trump does in the least unfavorable light is becoming sorrowful.
    I would love to hear you now try to GOPsplain his show of contempt for the falling soldiers today. Or his disgraceful,threatening tweet about the California fires. (ignoring the victims to boot.)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

---Bernie being quiet on racial issues is factually not true. Especially since I worked with the campaibn in North Carolina with a HIGH Black and Hispanic population. Factually not true.
    Could you provide me with the policy proposals he provided to help minorities outside of the one I consistently give him credit for? Or did he piggy-back off of Clinton and Obama and say what was politically popular in the moment? That isn’t to say that he didn’t actually agree on these issues—he just didn’t put too much serious thought into these issues the way he did his economic message.

---On the corporatist types. Do you feel it's derogatory to you? If so why? Also a Corporatist isn't just someone who dislikes Bernie, so again you are factually inaccurate about me. YOU can call me whatever YOU want.
    My job isn't to be #civility, or make people feel comfortable. Joe Manchin is a Corporatist, do you agree or disagree? Heidi is a Corporatist, agree or disgaree? Donnelly a Corporatist, agree or disagree? Booker, a Corporatist agree or disagree.
    Those have literally nothing to do with Sanders, and Booker has worked with, and is working with Sanders on many issues. Guess what? He's still a corporatist.
    No. I don’t want to ascribe motivations into people in an undue fashion to put down candidates, and people, I disagree with. And we can argue all the live long day about whether or not people should take it as a negative statement but you and I both know that the reason you often use the word is to ascribe sinister motivations to someone. It isn’t for the name of civility. I think it is in the name of fairness. People might just LEGITIMATELY disagree with you without being bought and paid for my corporations or having a hard on for corporations. But I legitimately believe, for my part, that corporations do good things. Like give people jobs and aid the economy in ways a plethora of small businesses never could. I just think they need to be regulated so they don’t have our-sized power or can destroy competitive forces in a marketplace. My intent is never to punish them but to ensure they don’t create market failures it hurt their workers. In most ways, I think that they ought to be dealt with with marginal regulation. I personally think that and I certainly don’t receive any money from corporations or think corporations are the greatest thing in the world to say that.

So if you think Corporatist or Centrist is a Slur, ask the media to stop saying also. It's not just TYT, which I understand you dislike. But no, I won't call a fake Populist a Progressive to be civil. Sorry!
    The media, other than fox, certainly don’t use that term to describe politicians. Maybe guests but never the anchors or news readers. Sorry!!

That assumes the same people that supported Clinton in 2008 supported her in 2016. Obama changed the make-up of the party to focus on minorities and be less competitive among Caucasian voters. Clinton’s voters likely switched at the time because they were fairly moderate in 2008 in most issues (particularly social ones that Obama pioneered and gravitated his campaign towards). The issues Clinton ran on were not the same as in 2016 because the electorate shifted. I’d argue most people that went for Clinton in 2008 probabaly stayed Republican moving forward.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 11-10-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Astonishing Member

trump, too cowardly to serve his country when it needed him, too cowardly to face fall weather to pay his respects to our fallen. He continues to be a disgrace to the nation and an insult to my fellow veterans.