Page 52 of 985 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Yeah, people voting for candidates who actually represent their beliefs is a pretty crazy idea when you have half a party telling itself that it can't possibly win.
    Welp, what do you do when there's zero candidates that represent 100% of your beliefs? Which will happen 100% of the time in reality unless you're running for office yourself and can vote on yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Welp, what do you do when there's zero candidates that represent 100% of your beliefs? Which will happen 100% of the time in reality unless you're running for office yourself and can vote on yourself?
    Could you quote where the poster in question has said that what is in blue is what their vote hinges on?

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I'm sorry the truth stings, but unless a third party candidate has an ACTUAL chance of winning an election? Which Gary Johnson never in a million lifetimes did? Then you threw your vote away. You chose ideological purity over actual progress. Look, I'm guilty of it too. I've done it, I think most of us have. Clinging to our ideals is part of what makes us human! Choice is what makes us Americans. But learning when to put ideology aside and choose pragmatism is part of being an adult.

There is no world in which Gary Johnson would have won the presidency. I knew it, you knew it, he knew it. And now, we live in a world where voting for Gary Johnson and Jill Stein helped split the left enough that Trump won despite the BLATANT pandering to and inflaming of racism, homophobia, sexism, xenophobia, religious zealotry and general hatred. You voted with your heart, and that's admirable...Hell, that you voted at ALL is admirable, given the abysmal turnout in 2016. But if you refuse to learn, then we're just going to repeat this cycle again and again until there's no one left to have any ideology, because the Republicans will have succeeded in poisoning the planet beyond repair to make themselves rich.

If Gary Johnson had been the Democratic candidate, I would have voted for him. Just like I held my nose and voted for Hillary. Because the only other option was Trump, and anyone with eyes knew how that would turn out. I live in Oregon, which I knew was gonna go to Hillary no matter what. I could have voted for someone else, for whatever reason - purity, piss and vinegar, a whim - but I chose to put aside my PERSONAL feelings about Hillary and vote for the candidate who would do the least harm, and would allow for the progress Obama got rolling to continue.

She lost because of a myriad reasons: Russian interference, collusion with Trump, racism, sexism, homophobia, propaganda (from the right and the left), poor campaigning, low turnout among liberals/leftists/progressives and YES...protest votes and third party votes splintering the left. It wasn't any one of those things that got us where we are today, it was ALL of it. You need to accept that you are part of the problem and grow up and learn to make better choices, same as I did, same as everyone else does. You are not a leper for making a choice, but you will make yourself one if you stubbornly refuse to learn from the results of that choice.

Until then, the left will remain a splintered mess, and the Right will keep winning, despite themselves, because there is no unified front to prevent it.
    Here's the thing, if you had me vote again in 2016, I'd still vote for Johnson. You'll never have me vote for Hillary Clinton because I didn't like her, either. And, I live in a very red state. Indiana voters vote Republican by default so much that Obama winning the state in 2008 was a freak occurrence than a coincidence.

Will I vote third party in 2020? Barring another Hillary run, I will happily vote Democratic to ensure Trump is a one-termer that's not invited to Mr. Burns's birthday parties.

Has anybody noticed lately that you can find idiots on Twitter because they brand themselves with red crosses? Like, it's an obvious "Block" for me because I know they're incapable of rational thought or intellectual debate on things such as the mainstream media having corporate bias instead of blasting off about "Damn Librulz Ruin Everytheen!"

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    You'd think that, but no. Look at some of the people at Trump rallies. If they suddenly lost their jobs, most of them would find some way to blame Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.
    If anything, Republicans oppose things that could improve their quality of life, such as a higher minimum wage, regulations in industries, health care... And they don't offer rational reasons for opposition other than "It Kills JOBS!!!" Jobs that likely don't have much upside or longevity, and would likely be filled by the same illegal immigrants they despise so much.

But, no! MAGA!

And, while I'm on Twitter... I saw "Trump Boner" Grandma and remembered the time I saw my own grandmother smoking on the toilet. It's a horrible image to have from your childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    You'd think that, but no. Look at some of the people at Trump rallies. If they suddenly lost their jobs, most of them would find some way to blame Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I doubt even that would work. All Trump would have to do is bleat that Democrats were responsible for the increased poverty and the lemmings would believe him without question. Dolt45 wasn’t kidding when he said he could shoot someone in Times Square and not lose any votes.
    I'm thinking, it's not that they would stop being supporters, it's that they wouldn't care about voting. Poverty breeds depression, depression breeds apathy, apathy means no votes.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

This only applies to fellow Naptown CBR users, but my alumni keeps on being amazing.

https://www.wthr.com/article/least-e...ch-high-school

This is what happens when school districts are forced to make cutbacks every year, and when you put territorial youth in a singular school (I know this may sound silly, but based on my experience, you kinda get uppity about where you live in a city and become antagonistic to other sides. In my case, as an Eastsider, I grew to loathe Northsiders and Westsiders. It's silly, but it's reality).

Speaking of cutbacks, the Denver school system had to cut to four days of school a week.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 08-16-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because that’s not the argument people are making.

BANNED

Literally no one is saying "Don't vote for progressives!"

LITERALLY.
    NO.
    ONE.

All I - and anyone who has commented on this - has said is, we progressives need to support the candidate we want passionately in the primary, but if they don't win and the General is down to more centrist Democrat versus literally ANY modern Republican, vote for the Democrat who won the primary, even if they aren't ideologically pure enough for us, even if you don't agree with them on everything, or even most things, because ANY progress is better than the stagnation and corruption that a Republican WILL give us, historically speaking. ANY amount of left is better than none at all, once it comes to the general.

If we cannot unite behind the candidate that actually stands a chance of winning against Trump and his party - aka, the Democrat who wins the primary, whoever that is - then we will keep losing. If we keep shooting ourselves in the foot by demanding ideological purity or else, we will keep losing. OBVIOUSLY, we want to back as many hardcore progressives as we can and work like hell to get those candidates the win ijn the primary so that - like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez and others - come the general, we have the best possible candidates for our goals. And when we GET those candidates, it will be on the more moderate Democrats to put THEIR pride aside and support the 'radical' instead of doing wasteful bullshit like protest votes and 3rd party candidates as well, if they actually want to win.

WE ALL need to swallow our personal prejudices and demands for idealogical purity and vote for progress, however small, that has a chance of actually winning. We literally cannot afford to continue splintering and treating good as the enemy of perfect. If you DO refuse to support the candidate that represents the left for not being left enough, then you do not get to act shocked or whine when the RWNJ candidate wins, and the candidate you refused to support loses, in part because you chose to throw your vote to a spoiler in protest for YOUR candidate not winning the primary.

All ANYONE is saying is, consider the math on your choice to support someone you KNOW will not win - Rkkn Paul, Ross Perot, Ralph Nader, Jill Stein, Gary Johnson, Homer Simpson, Santa Claus, etc - and stop beijng part of the problem by being selfish and putting yourself ahead of everyone else. Trump absolutely will win 2020 - if he isn't indicted yet - and so will other Republicans who COULD have been defeated if we united behind them half as well as Republicans unite behind whatever horrorshow they force themselves to get behind if we on the left remain splintered and easily distracted. A house divided on itself cannot stand. We will remain ineffective as long as we keep acting the way we did in 2016, and that ineffectiveness will shape the future right into Republican hands. *Shakes head*

But hey, keep voting for spoiler candidates and keep whining about those nasty Republicans doing nasty things you could have helped prevent, if you had swallowed your distaste for the impure and voted like an adult, with care and thought for how your vote will affect others and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I will be supporting every single candidate who wins their primary, with everything I can offer. Thank's for the list!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

HEY WBE! I found one! I found a crazy Democrat to profile for next year and whooooooo boy, is she really gunning for it.

Michigan state Rep. Bettie Cook Scott is facing calls from 19 groups to apologize after she allegedly referred to her Asian primary opponent, state Rep. Stephanie Chang, as “ching-chong,” according to a press release from Progress Michigan.

Chang and Scott both ran in the Democratic primary for the state Senate. Chang won with 49 percent of the vote, and Scott earned 11 percent.

The groups condemning Scott, which include the Michigan chapter of Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote and the Association of Chinese Americans, allege Scott made the disparaging remarks on primary election day, Aug. 7.

Scott allegedly expressed anti-immigrant sentiments, telling a voter “immigrants from China are coming over and taking our community from us,” the groups said in a Tuesday statement.

The statement also alleges that Scott said “Vote for me. Don’t vote for the ching-chong!” and called members of Chang’s staff “ching-chongs.”

The Michigan Democratic Party condemned Scott’s language as well.

“Bettie Cook Scott’s remarks were not only offensive but go against all the values of the Democratic Party,” state party Chair Brandon Dillon said. “She must apologize immediately. There is no place in our state or our party for bigotry and discrimination.”

Elsewhere, that Military Parade, the one that went from 12 million to around 80 million bucks, is now postpone until next year.

Perfect example of a shitty Democrat unworthy of ANY support, losing the primary because of both the support of the majority of the party, and because of her actions and words.
    Last edited by zinderel; 08-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Another Oregonian here! *double fist bump*
    Hey there, fellow Oregoner! *slaps some skin!*

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Merkley is definitely running. He spends half his time in Iowa and New Hampshire.
    I think Merkley would be a surprisingly strong contender and a solid choice for President but I'm not sure he'd be 'exiting' enough for those who need that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think Merkley would be a surprisingly strong contender and a solid choice for President but I'm not sure he'd be 'exiting' enough for those who need that kind of thing.
    That would be the Democratic base. "Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line" is a saying for a reason. When they go safe they lose in the general, going back to Mondale.