Page 636 of 918 FirstFirst ... 136536586626632633634635636637638639640646686736 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,540 of 13760
  1. #9526
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm surprised Shafi chooses to remain in the GOP, and held no malice against the knuckledraggers trying to oust him because he's Muslim. He's seen up close and personal the party's unceasing hate for anyone who's not lily white and still wanted to stay. Shafi is far more forgiving than I am, I would've told the party to kiss my ass and left. However, this makes me wonder what other Muslims, especially those persecuted from coast to coast think of Shafi and if they see him as their version of an Uncle Tom?
    Naked self interest is probably at work here. Shafi is a surgeon, which means that his number one fear is the onset of universal health care busting him down the socioeconomic ladder from highly paid professional to overworked public servant.

  2. #9527
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Naked self interest is probably at work here. Shafi is a surgeon, which means that his number one fear is the onset of universal health care busting him down the socioeconomic ladder from highly paid professional to overworked public servant.
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, so that means he's all too willing to make himself a possible, if not probable pariah in his community and in his religion for the sake of maintaining a cushy lifestyle. Yeah, that's the Republican mindset of greed and privilege all over.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  3. #9528
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra
    Posts
    19,505

    Default

    Joshua Tree National Park To Close For Cleanup, Repairs To Vandalism, Illegal Roads

    Illegal roads, cut down Joshua trees, and damaged federal property, along with the need to clean up garbage, prompted Joshua Tree National Park Superintendent David Smith to announce Tuesday that the park would close indefinitely on Thursday to address those impacts incurred during the ongoing partial government shutdown.

    “The park will be closed until I can ensure that resources inside the park are protected," Smith said during a short phone call. "We’re hoping that the shutdown will be over soon."

    While the closure will take effect 8 a.m. Thursday, the superintendent could not say how long it would last. Acting Interior Secretary David Bernhardt has directed the National Park Service to use fee revenues brought in under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act to pay for cleanup and additional law enforcement personnel. Smith said that while his park normally takes in about $9 million a year, most of that has been committed to projects. Staff was working to see how much in unobligated funds remained.
    Last week park staff closed its campgrounds to overnight use because of sanitation problems, but many visitors ignored that closure. With just eight law enforcement rangers working during the partial government shutdown it was impossible to cover all areas of the park, which is about the size of Delaware.

    "There are about a dozen instances of extensive vehicle traffic off roads and in some cases into wilderness," Smith replied when asked about the damage in the park. "We have two new roads that were created inside the park. We had destruction of government property with the cutting of chains and locks for people to access campgrounds. We’ve never seen this level of out-of-bounds camping. Every day use area was occupied every evening.

    "Joshua trees were actually cut down in order to make new roads.”
    Last edited by Tami; 01-11-2019 at 06:09 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  4. #9529
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Royal Castle of Atlantica, High Court of Terra
    Posts
    19,505

    Default

    Microsoft Bing not only shows child pornography, it suggests it

    Illegal child exploitation imagery is easy to find on Microsoft’s Bing search engine. But even more alarming is that Bing will suggest related keywords and images that provide pedophiles with more child pornography. Following an anonymous tip, TechCrunch commissioned a report from online safety startup AntiToxin to investigate. The results were alarming.
    [WARNING: Do not search for the terms discussed in this article on Bing or elsewhere as you could be committing a crime. AntiToxin is closely supervised by legal counsel and works in conjunction with Israeli authorities to perform this research and properly hand its findings to law enforcement. No illegal imagery is contained in this article, and it has been redacted with red boxes here and inside AntiToxin’s report.]

    The research found that terms like “porn kids,” “porn CP” (a known abbreviation for “child pornography”) and “nude family kids” all surfaced illegal child exploitation imagery. And even people not seeking this kind of disgusting imagery could be led to it by Bing.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  5. #9530
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Farm Country Stood by Trump. But the Shutdown Is Pushing It to Breaking Point.

    DENVER — In Georgia, a pecan farmer lost out on his chance to buy his first orchard. The local Farm Service Agency office that would have processed his loan application was shut down.

    In Wisconsin’s dairy country, a 55-year-old woman sat inside her new dream home, worried she would not be able to pay her mortgage. Her loan had come from an Agriculture Department program for low-income residents in rural areas, but all of the account information she needed to make her first payment was locked away in an empty government office.

    And in upstate New York, Pam Moore was feeding hay to her black-and-white cows at a small dairy that tottered on the brink of ruin. She and her husband had run up $350,000 in debt to keep the dairy running after 31 of their cows died of pneumonia, and their last lifeline was an emergency federal farm loan. But the money had been derailed by the government shutdown.

    “It has just been one thing after another, after another, after another,” Ms. Moore, 57, said.

    Farm country has stood by President Trump, even as farmers have strained under two years of slumping incomes and billions in losses from his trade wars. But as the government shutdown now drags into a third week, some farmers say the loss of crucial loans, payments and other services has pushed them — and their support — to a breaking point.
    “I may lose the farm, but I strongly feel we need some border security,” Mr. Nunnery said.

    But Davinder Singh, 41, the Georgia pecan farmer, said the border wall was not worth the price he had already paid — losing out on the chance to finally buy his own orchard instead of working other people’s land.

    “Why spend money on the wall?” he said. He just wanted the government to reopen — “as soon as possible.”

    The Agriculture Department had tried to blunt the effects by keeping local Farm Service Agency offices open through December. And it extended deadlines for farmers to apply for the administration’s $12 billion bailout for farmers hurt by Mr. Trump’s trade policies.

    States like Wisconsin, which lost at least 638 dairy farms last year, are particularly vulnerable.

    The new farm bill passed in December contained programs to help dairy farmers weather swings in the market, and to help farmers struggling with stress and depression get mental health services. But those programs cannot be put in effect during the shutdown, said Senator Tammy Baldwin, Democrat of Wisconsin.

    “More uncertainty and more stress,” she said. “We can’t afford to wait months and months. We need to get this moving now.”
    12 Billion dollar bailout so they don't have to feel the pain his tarrifs are causing. Then some payments start getting halted because everyone agrees on border security, but only Trump wants this useless WALL.

    Due to TSA absences, Miami airport will temporarily close one terminal early for 3 days

    Miami International Airport will close a terminal early for three days because of a shortage of Transportation Security Administration screeners, airport spokesman Greg Chin said Thursday.

    The security checkpoints in terminal G will be closed after 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, he said. Terminal G is one of six terminals in the airport.
    "Due to an increased number of TSA screeners not reporting to work, we have decided to take this precautionary step and relocate about 12 flights to adjoining concourses in the afternoons," he said.
    Chin said federal screeners are calling in sick at double the normal rate for Miami, and TSA managers aren't confident they will have enough workers to operate all 11 checkpoints throughout the airport at normal hours.
    "We felt we had to make a decision before the weekend," Chin told the Miami Herald. "They're erring on the side of caution."
    The government shutdown has left TSA employees working without pay, raising concerns that airports might not be able to provide the usual standard of security.
    In a wave of what one federal official has dubbed as the "blue flu"-- a nod to the blue shirts worn by TSA officers -- hundreds of TSA screeners at at least four major airports have called out from their shifts since the shutdown began in December.
    Last week, TSA spokesman Michael Bilello acknowledged that "callouts began over the holiday period and have increased," and that the agency was "closely monitoring the situation."
    Union officials say officers can't afford to work unpaid.
    A TSA union official told CNN some employees have found that showing up for work was actually hurting them financially, when factoring in costs such as child care and commuting. Some skipped work to seek temporary jobs to help make ends meet.
    What a mess. Even if they wanted to come to work without pay out of "duty" its hurting them faster to try and show up because of paying for the commutes and child care.

  6. #9531
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Farm Country Stood by Trump. But the Shutdown Is Pushing It to Breaking Point.





    12 Billion dollar bailout so they don't have to feel the pain his tarrifs are causing. Then some payments start getting halted because everyone agrees on border security, but only Trump wants this useless WALL.
    As much as I don't want to kick people trying to earn a living while they're down, but it's hard to feel sorry for farmers who were warned about the perils of dealing with an amoral grifter like Trump who would stiff them the first chance he got, something he's done to scores of people for decades, now he's shafting an entire country. Meanwhile....

    America is being ruled by Fox & Friends because Trump is ‘afraid’ to defy them: Texas Democrat

    Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-TX) told CNN’s John Berman on Friday that the only reason the federal government is still shut down is because President Donald Trump is afraid that the hosts of “Fox & Friends” will say mean things about him.

    Escobar pointed out that there was a deal to reopen the government that passed by an overwhelmingly bipartisan majority in the Senate in late December. After Trump watched scathing criticism of the bill on “Fox & Friends,” however, he backed off his pledge to sign it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  7. #9532
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,024
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  8. #9533
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I'd call that a combination of ignorant skanks who'll say and do anything to feel up a celebrity, and defiant black women who believe the demonic, white controlled media is out to destroy a proud black man like R.Kelly, even though it's been proven he's an unrepentant scumbag.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #9534
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'd call that a combination of ignorant skanks who'll say and do anything to feel up a celebrity, and defiant black women who believe the demonic, white controlled media is out to destroy a proud black man like R.Kelly, even though it's been proven he's an unrepentant scumbag.
    I don't think its a racial thing. People send love letters to murders and rapists and all kinds of criminals in prison all the time. They are crazy.

  10. #9535
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I don't think its a racial thing. People send love letters to murders and rapists and all kinds of criminals in prison all the time. They are crazy.
    I beg to differ. There IS a racial component, I've actually overheard black women slamming the media for trying railroad R.Kelly and send him to prison because whites can't handle how he's such a successful black superstar and other assorted nonsense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  11. #9536
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I beg to differ. There IS a racial component, I've actually overheard black women slamming the media for trying railroad R.Kelly and send him to prison because whites can't handle how he's such a successful black superstar and other assorted nonsense.
    They do realize that "Surviving R. Kelly" was made by a black woman?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  12. #9537
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'd call that a combination of ignorant skanks who'll say and do anything to feel up a celebrity, and defiant black women who believe the demonic, white controlled media is out to destroy a proud black man like R.Kelly, even though it's been proven he's an unrepentant scumbag.
    Does no one remember Boondocks at all. This shit was talked about about a decade ago!



    Also, speaking of terrible people...

    183 House Republicans just voted against resuming food safety inspection


    Also, WBE, too bad you did that update on Matt Gaetz yesterday, because guess what? He just shoved his foot back into his mouth already:

    Rep. Matt Gaetz has some reservations: "I don’t want the next national emergency to be that some Democrat president says we have to build transgender bathrooms in every elementary school in America"
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 01-11-2019 at 09:34 AM.

  13. #9538
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, so that means he's all too willing to make himself a possible, if not probable pariah in his community and in his religion for the sake of maintaining a cushy lifestyle. Yeah, that's the Republican mindset of greed and privilege all over.
    Self-interest is human, for better or worse.

  14. #9539

    Default

    Well, that would be a bigoted s***muffin using a straw man argument if I've ever seen one.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  15. #9540
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Self-interest is human, for better or worse.
    So is empathy, though.

    Wondering what made Republicans lose their natural empathy.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •