Page 766 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 266666716756762763764765766767768769770776816866 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,490 of 14998
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    There is a small talent pool and The Met doesn't really make any effort to expand it.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...raps-blackface
    So both then. Racist and intentionally creating a limited pool to justify it.

Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So both then. Racist and intentionally creating a limited pool to justify it.
    Plus the third leg - playing certain roles is seen as a mandatory rite of passage for any serious performer. This one might not have racism as a reason but it certainly ends up with the same result.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Portrayals of Othello in theatre/Otello in opera are a complex and interesting subject

I think the major opera houses will continue to phase out blackface, so the singer will play it with his natural skin colour now. (Which is easy enough to justify by the fact that the character is referred to as a Moor, a term historically used to apply to many light-skinned as well as dark-skinned Muslims.) But it's one of the biggest roles in opera, and the most famous dramatic tenors will always want to play it.

On stage - yes, I think blackface won't be used by a major theatre company, although the legacy of the role and the text will mean that the issue will often be considered by the production - there was a production some years ago when Othello was played by a white actor, and the other parts by black actors, I seem to recall.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 02-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Othello is more of a case by case basis. Blackface in this country is problematic mostly for its historical use in minstrel shows.

A college classmate of Justin Fairfax has come forward to accuse him of raping her.
    https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/statu...81682842116098

There are friends who are willing to corroborate that she told them about the rape at the time.

Astonishing Member

I’ve only driven through Virgina, but at this point I might be next in the line of succession for the governorship

Cory Booker is now calling on Lieutenant Governor Fairfax to resign.

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/statu...05695756886017

With multiple allegations of sexual assault, this is the right call.

And in case anyone asks, this was my standard with Kavanaugh.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3926734

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Resign? Just like that? Without going through due process first? Guilty without the opportunity to be proven innocent? Kill that noise. Fairfax should be afforded the chance to tell his side of the story, and so should his accuser, just like with Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford. And if it turns out Fairfax was a scumbag, THEN he should resign, and not before.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

You are saying that Fairfax should resign? But the post you linked said Kavanaugh should be confirmed.
    Five women accused Kavanaugh and you said this:
    I'm open to the possibility that information will come out that will disqualify Kavanaugh, if there was an accuser or witness who has some corroborating information. There hasn't been the level of material we had about Roy Moore, or Al Franken.
    and BTW the Kavanaugh accusers were much more serious and verifiable than Franken.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Resign? Just like that? Without going through due process first? Guilty without the opportunity to be proven innocent? Kill that noise. Fairfax should be afforded the chance to tell his side of the story, and so should his accuser, just like with Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford. And if it turns out Fairfax was a scumbag, THEN he should resign, and not before.
    If you intend on being "The Good Guys", you probably ought to be holding yourself to a higher standard.

Shoot, someone posted that you couldn't go back ten years on these sorts of accusations becoming public without The Democratic Party running the person out of the party.

Probably time to walk that walk.

To me, it's not so much the allegations as that this second woman seems to have told someone at the time. If that's the case, the odds that this is some sort of a strictly political play go way down.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its clear Kavanaugh and Fairfax are different situations. Because one is a Democrat and the other Republican. Republicans must stomp their feet , cry , and act like all the women are liars. If its a Democrat they are instant guilty , fuck em. No evidence is ever needed. Guy was a sex maniac.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its clear Kavanaugh and Fairfax are different situations. Because one is a Democrat and the other Republican. Republicans must stomp their feet , cry , and act like all the women are liars. If its a Democrat they are instant guilty , fuck em. No evidence is ever needed. Guy was a sex maniac.
    Again, the second woman accusing Fairfax seems to have told someone at the time.

That's not exactly "No" evidence.

Never mind that Fairfax's lawyers are apparently going after the second lady.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 02-08-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Fairfax should resign. Kavanaugh should never have been confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You are saying that Fairfax should resign? But the post you linked said Kavanaugh should be confirmed.
    Five women accused Kavanaugh and you said this:

and BTW the Kavanaugh accusers were much more serious and verifiable than Franken.
    My view is that one allegation should not typically be enough to disqualify an individual from public office (the exception is an allegation that includes significant enough evidence).

When there are multiple credible allegations, that's a different story, especially when the allegations are unconnected.

There was no credible second allegation against Kavanaugh. Swetnick's allegations of habitual gang rape were kinda nuts, and uncorroborated. Ramirez didn't actually see Kavanaugh do anything and for some time wasn't certain it was him. I don't think she would be allowed to testify against him in a civil trial, since so much of her testimony was hearsay, and no one else came forward who saw anything. Other allegations fell apart.

With the second allegation against Fairfax, I'm making a few assumptions that the press release is accurate in reporting that a college classmate of Fairfax claims he raped her, has evidence that she made this claim prior to the news about the first accuser, and has testimony from friends that she told them she was sexually assaulted at the time.

I'm sure all of this will be scrutinized. If it doesn't hold up to scrutiny, it shouldn't be counted against Fairfax, and some people should be sued, prosecuted and investigated by the bar. Given the specificity of the claims as well as the details of contemporaneous evidence, whether the information holds up should all be determined quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Fairfax should resign. Kavanaugh should never have been confirmed.
    Also looks like the state might impeach him. Not sure how correct what I caught on that was.