Page 450 of 985 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500550950 ... LastLast
Results 6,736 to 6,750 of 14769
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’m gonna take a wild assed guess and say Finland doesn’t see the sort of mindnumbing droughts California has suffered from for years, resulting in the severity of the wildfires that have plagued the state. And, for the umpteenth time, I’ll remind everybody here that Trump’s words are colored by petty vindictiveness because he lost California to Hillary Clinton two years ago and he’s STILL salty over that defeat, thus his dissing the state any and every chance he gets.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It should be pointed out that throughout this disaster Trump has been harping on the methods California uses to manage it's forests because he'd prefer to see those forests entirely opened up to his logging industry and real estate developer buddies. When Trump speaks of "management" practices he means clear cutting the forests and selling off the land for private resorts, suburban sprawl and golf courses.
    The man is an irredeemable piece of ****.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Rant incoming....

This Pelosi thing is getting more and more annoying. Like, can I get a name? Where is this new blood with the skills to do the job? I'll support them once they step up to the plate. Right now there is just a vague idea of someone that passes the purity test but no actual person. If that person doesn't speak out this is all useless. Stop giving the right the satisfaction of seeing us squabble over nothing.
    The best argument for her is the best argument against her. It is the job of the leadership to make sure that the new blood gets adequate seasoning and experience.

The lack of anyone obvious to step up is an indictment against Pelosi, showing she has failed at one of her most important tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A recount has Mia Love prevailing at the moment.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...tah-house-race
    That's great. Especially with Trump using her as an example of someone who failed politically by opposing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Do the Republicans even vote for Speaker of the House in this situation? I thought it was just the Party in power that votes among themselves for the Speaker and all other officers.
    The minority party typically votes for their candidate. There have been some interesting plays.

For example, Democrats in the Texas House of Representatives backed a relatively moderate Republican member for Speaker, allowing him to get the job with a small number of Republican votes.

House Republicans can also decline to vote which would lower the number necessary for Pelosi to become Speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Barbara Lee runs? She wins. She's got the best record of her and fudge. Pelosi isn't being ousted because of her age, but because regardless of what her fans and such think. She's been a terrible leader in the last 4-6 years.
    What Major accomplishment has she won on in the last 5 years?

This picture says it all. She's on stage with two of the most corrupt Democrats ever. Steny hoyer and Joe Crowley... Lol. Sanchez... hmm she's got issues too.

What Pelosi’s defenders miss
    Her fundraising prowess and past legislative accomplishments aren’t enough to overcome deeper grievances.

The Black Caucus will support the black female that runs.
    I can gaurantee it.
    Why are Crowley and Crowley so historically corrupt?

If we're meant to take what you seriously, you're saying they're on par with the worst segregationist Democrats, the shadiest members of the Jackson administration, and the routinely indicted corrupt inner-city politicians.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

LOL! at Whoopi being "Scared" of the Justice Democrats...
    Once again Joy Behar being the voice of reason. (To think I used to not like Joy, actually I still kinda don't, but she's been more right than wrong lately.) She sees the Tea leaves for change.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The best argument for her is the best argument against her. It is the job of the leadership to make sure that the new blood gets adequate seasoning and experience.

The lack of anyone obvious to step up is an indictment against Pelosi, showing she has failed at one of her most important tasks.

That's great. Especially with Trump using her as an example of someone who failed politically by opposing him.

The minority party typically votes for their candidate. There have been some interesting plays.

For example, Democrats in the Texas House of Representatives backed a relatively moderate Republican member for Speaker, allowing him to get the job with a small number of Republican votes.

House Republicans can also decline to vote which would lower the number necessary for Pelosi to become Speaker.

Why are Crowley and Crowley so historically corrupt?

If we're meant top take what you seriously, you're saying they're on par with the worst segregationist Democrats, the shadiest members of the Jackson administration, and the routinely indicted corrupt inner-city politicians.
    DEMOCRATIC REP. JOE CROWLEY, FACING PROGRESSIVE CHALLENGE, TURNS TO GOP LOBBYING FIRM FOR CASH

HOW PEOPLE CLOSE TO JOE CROWLEY HAVE GOTTEN RICH WHILE THE QUEENS BOSS HAS RISEN IN CONGRESS

Who’s out to get Rep. Joe Crowley?

Family of Queens Democratic Boss Snatches Up Supreme Court Appointments

Last edited by Tazirai; 11-17-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Raised funds like a ************ and oversaw the biggest damn Democratic gains in the House since Waterfuckingate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    They got many of those gains Despite her. Especially without Direct involvement. So again outside of raising money what has she done?
    Seriously. You've got to ignore that some candidates were specifically running on that they would not support Pelosi being Speaker again to try to give her some sort of credit for that.

You want what she actually has done?

Seemingly trading votes for Speaker in exchange for backing potentially lousy ideas.

This article is from August:

Pelosi pulls in staggering sums for Dems despite facing opposition in the ranks

It's quite likely the Blue Wave would not have been as impressive without her. Many of the races were so close, every dollar raised counted.
    The mechanics of how Beto lost say that you are probably mistaken when it comes to how important the money was.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The mechanics of how Beto lost say that you are probably mistaken when it comes to how important the money was.
    I don't see that as the case. Beto lost because Texas is a big red wall that is very difficult to overcome. He came very close to breaking through that wall, but it's going to take time. The money was there, but the wall was too high and too thick (headed).
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I don't see that as the case. Beto lost because Texas is a big red wall that is very difficult to overcome. He came very close to breaking through that wall, but it's going to take time. The money was there, but the wall was too high and too thick (headed).
    There's also the literal vote shifting. The Money could have been used for lawsuits and more if people thought it was worth fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Politely, things point to that it was the case.

A while back, I posted an article about that O'Rourke's campaign was still just getting the Latino outreach effort in place into mid-October. There is no amount of money that could have fixed that degree of poor planning(or lack of knowing how to actually get those things done in a timely fashion).

While I would agree that it was still a tough one to do, you probably would not have needed money for anything else if those votes had one the race for you in a decisive fashion.

I could dig up the article, and post it again if you are interested in looking it over.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 11-17-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I'd agree if that was the standard across the board. The difference between Pelosi and other leaders at the moment is that no one else is clamoring for them to step down as hard. Schumer doesn't get the same pressure, nor does McConnell. And no one is asking who would take over for those men either. It's not like she wants to retire but can't because there is no one else. It's that some people want to force her out. She doesn't want to leave. Not her fault they don't have their ducks in a row before raising a fuss.

In a way I see this whole thing as another manifestation of the democrat's messiah complex. Surely some younger, more liberal, less in the pocket of special interests, congressperson will materialize if we chant loud enough!
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 11-17-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    I'd agree if that was the standard across the board. The difference between Pelosi and other leaders at the moment is that no one else is clamoring for them to step down as hard. Schumer doesn't get the same pressure, nor does McConnell. And no one is asking who would take over for those men either. It's not like she wants to retire but can't because there is no one else. It's that some people want to force her out. She doesn't want to leave. Not her fault they don't have their ducks in a row before raising a fuss.

In a way I see this whole thing as another manifestation of the democrat's messiah complex. Surely some younger, more liberal, less in the pocket of special interests, congressperson will materialize if we chant loud enough!
    Honestly, Schumer didn't tell a dreamer that he was going to get something done about DACA by the end of last year.

While I'm not going to say it's entirely fair, you can't want the credit for every success and a way out of every time you have done something like that.

Astonishing Member

This article is from August:

Pelosi pulls in staggering sums for Dems despite facing opposition in the ranks

It's quite likely the Blue Wave would not have been as impressive without her. Many of the races were so close, every dollar raised counted.
    That doesn't even begin make up for the complete evaporation of Democrat power structures all over the country that occurred under her's, Reid's, and Obama's watch. While I'm in favor of giving her time to transition and find a suitable candidate I'm not buying this "Chuck and Nancy saved the day" nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    That doesn't even begin make up for the complete evaporation of Democrat power structures all over the country that occurred under her's, Reid's, and Obama's watch. While I'm in favor of giving her time to transition and find a suitable candidate I'm not buying this "Chuck and Nancy saved the day" nonsense.
    Exactly.

When you take a minute to consider what they might have had the chance to get done if they had held even a portion of their gains in Congress when former President Obama took office, it is impossible to just go "She just...!"

If you are going to give her credit for the mid-term that just happened, she is also to blame for all of the lost potential during the time when Democrats handed Congress back to the Republicans.

Edit: Never mind that her ability as a fundraiser did jack when it came to stopping Democrats from getting their hats handed to them during the time that you mentioned.