Page 426 of 985 FirstFirst ... 326376416422423424425426427428429430436476526926 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,390 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I forgot...there IS another path to breaking the Two Party system, but it's a lot less photogenic than pussy hats at protest marches.

We, the people, could rise up in rebellion and tear the entite corrupt system down. It would cost a lot in lives, it wouldn't be a sure victory for progress, and would be a world-altering event, however it went. But I know, that's a lot harder to 'justify' for some than just going to a protest march after hitting up a Starbucks, and then stopping to get a new sweater afterwards. Looking at how Antifa is talked about in supposedly progressive circles tells me that, while lots of leftist self-identifiers talk the talk, the thought of actually risking their lives - and their comfort - for the change they claim to want is too scary.

So if actual uprising and revolution are off the table for most so-called leftists, then the only option left is the one I outline above. Not revolution, but change.

Imagine that...

What a modest proposal.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Atlantic posted a piece Stan Lee did for their 150th anniversary edition.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...tm_source=feed

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I forgot...there IS another path to breaking the Two Party system, but it's a lot less photogenic than pussy hats at protest marches, and is a LOT more risky than gradual change.

We, the people, could rise up in rebellion and tear the entire corrupt system down. It would cost a lot in lives, it wouldn't be a sure victory for progress and would, in fact, set progress back quite a bit in the rebuilding, and would be a world-altering event with far-reaching repurcussions no one could plan for, however it went. I know that's a lot harder to justify for some than just going to a protest march after hitting up a Starbucks, and then stopping to get a new sweater afterwards. Looking at how Antifa is talked about in supposedly progressive circles tells me that, while lots of leftist self-identifiers talk the talk, the thought of actually risking their lives - and their comfort - for the change they claim to want is too scary.

So if actual uprising and revolution are off the table for most leftists, then the only reasonable option left that I can see is the one I outline above: gradual, internal change leading to progress.

Imagine that...
    Yes indeed. We could tear it all down and replace it with the other non-corrupt system that existed in history as soon as we figure out what one it was. It's hard to get people to have a rebellion when they have a vote and even a two-party system will only last until people vote for other parties.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What a modest proposal.
    That's me. Modest to a fault.

I don't think revolution is really viable, myself. I have heard a lot of leftists - usually, younger ones - talk about Revolution like it's some easy concept, not the heavy, world-altering thing it is. That said, it frustrates me to no end when I see someone talk up revolution, but when push comes to shove, they - like most of us - choose Starbucks and a protest over actual revolution. I mean, I get it. A protest march FEELS good, like it's accomplishing something, in the moment. But when you go to protest marches and then vote in a way that keeps the party you are protesting in power...what good are your protests doing, really, other than making you feel good? Progressivism isn't a drug you get high on. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

I think they may be right about revolution being the only option, in the end. I just don't think we're there yet. I think we still have a chance at peaceful, progressive change, but...the option IS out there and people ARE talking about it...even if that's all they actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes indeed. We could tear it all down and replace it with the other non-corrupt system that existed in history as soon as we figure out what one it was. It's hard to get people to have a rebellion when they have a vote and even a two-party system will only last until people vote for other parties.
    For sure. I think actual revolution is a pie in the sky fantasy. That's why it's an afterthought to my longer post. And it's why I went back and edited wording, to make that a bit more clear. It's a thing people talk about, but will never actually do, so lets focus on what has been proven to work instead of a fantasy that will never happen.

The left wing uprising fantasy is on the same level as the right wing militia fantasy of taking up arms against the gub'mint and winning. Both make the fantasizer feel good, neither accomplishes anything substantial, and neither has any concept of wha comes after.
    Last edited by zinderel; 11-12-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Atlantic posted a piece Stan Lee did for their 150th anniversary edition.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...tm_source=feed
    Thanks for posting this mets.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Martha McSally conceded the race.

There's gonna be a Senator Kyrsten Sinema from Arizona.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

What we need to remember about any potential third party is that it has to grow from the ground up. Local elections and state legislatures, then Congressional Representatives. After that, we move on to Senators and Governors. Then, and only then, can a third party have a viable Presidential candidate. Merely propping up a Gary Johnson or Jill Stein every four years accomplishes nothing, other than cause the supporters of those candidates who never had a chance to throw up their arms and say, "Well I guess we're all doomed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    What we need to remember about any potential third party is that it has to grow from the ground up. Local elections and state legislatures, then Congressional Representatives. After that, we move on to Senators and Governors. Then, and only then, can a third party have a viable Presidential candidate. Merely propping up a Gary Johnson or Jill Stein every four years accomplishes nothing, other than cause the supporters of those candidates who never had a chance to throw up their arms and say, "Well I guess we're all doomed!"
    100% this. Support third party locally, and support the Democratic party nationally, until a third party has enough local and state support to stand a chance on the national stage.

That's why I voted for Democratic candidates, but on the Working Families line. I would like the Working Families Party to gain more traction and this might be the way to do it.

BTW, I know it's been reported already, but here's some good news:

https://thinkprogress.org/florida-ju...-1f00b0c5c3c8/

Maybe Florida is turning purple after all.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ooooooh WBE! Get a load of this sore loser.

Defeated Republican Rep. Jason Lewis (MN) blamed late Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for Republicans’ loss of the House last week in an op-ed published in The Wall Street Journal on Sunday, when Veterans Day is traditionally observed.

The editorial sparked outrage, given McCain’s status as a decorated veteran and a prisoner of war during Vietnam. McCain recently passed away after a long battle with brain cancer.

In the op-ed entitled, “Who lost the House? John McCain,” Lewis, who lost his reelection to Democrat Angie Craig last week, claimed McCain’s votes against repealing Obamacare prompted a “green wave” of fundraising for Democrats.

“The late Arizona senator’s grievance with all things Trump was well known, but this obsession on the part of “Never Trump” Republicans has to end,” Lewis wrote. “Disapprove of the president’s style if you like, but don’t sacrifice sound policy to pettiness.”

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I guess that speaking ill of the deceased, especially someone as greatly respected as the late Senator McCain doesn’t count as being petty to that smacked ass.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    That's why I voted for Democratic candidates, but on the Working Families line. I would like the Working Families Party to gain more traction and this might be the way to do it.

BTW, I know it's been reported already, but here's some good news:

https://thinkprogress.org/florida-ju...-1f00b0c5c3c8/

Maybe Florida is turning purple after all.
    *high five* I do the same.

Nevada Governor-Elect Steve Sisolak celebrates his win by getting engaged.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/art...ces-engagement
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

I forgot...there IS another path to breaking the Two Party system, but it's a lot less photogenic than pussy hats at protest marches, and is a LOT more risky than gradual change.

We, the people, could rise up in rebellion and tear the entire corrupt system down. It would cost a lot in lives, it wouldn't be a sure victory for progress and would, in fact, set progress back quite a bit in the rebuilding, and would be a world-altering event with far-reaching repurcussions no one could plan for, however it went. I know that's a lot harder to justify for some than just going to a protest march after hitting up a Starbucks, and then stopping to get a new sweater afterwards. Looking at how Antifa is talked about in supposedly progressive circles tells me that, while lots of leftist self-identifiers talk the talk, the thought of actually risking their lives - and their comfort - for the change they claim to want is too scary.

So if actual uprising and revolution are off the table for most leftists, then the only reasonable option left that I can see is the one I outline above: gradual, internal change leading to progress.

Imagine that...
    We are not going to have a revolution, but I think trying to move the needle is a good thing, rather than just accepting things because ''that's the way its always been''. If people are willing to question things like militarism, the current health care system, mass incarceration, and other such things, then maybe people will want to change these things.

If people just accepted the status quo in the past, we wouldn't have social progress like the end of Jim Crow and marriage equality. I think this stuff is worth fighting for personally and think these changes would be good for society, but I think there does need to be some changes to the system.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-12-2018 at 07:27 PM.