Page 676 of 985 FirstFirst ... 176576626666672673674675676677678679680686726776 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,140 of 14769
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But we shouldn't make high school students into a national story on a maybe. There should be no doubt about it.

What specifically have I said that you disagree with?
    You didn't say anything really -- you just posted something from a website that said "maybe" they were or weren't "offensive" or "problematic" and I responded that "maybe" they were just following in the footsteps of the man whose hat they were all wearing.

The video is there for all to see and to judge accordingly: if you want to make the argument that "maybe" how those kids were behaving in said video shouldn't be an issue, then -- as usual -- I don't see much point in trying to convince you otherwise.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-20-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Amazing Member

I wonder how you guys feel about the following post that I found over at a blogspot called Always On Watch 3 typed by someone named Silverfiddle:

Conservatives are supposed to conserve, be the bastion of tradition, morality, cultural preservation, prudence and fiscal responsibility.

Liberals are supposed to be pushing the boundaries, opening new doors, advocating for new ways.

If one or the other got their way 100%, we would be in a leftwing or rightwing hell; but in a healthy political environment, a reasonable synthesis emerges: Prudent growth, lifting of outdated strictures, and a healthy society.

What we have instead is a toxic sewer of incoherence, eradication of consequence, and studied ignorance of facts on the ground and reality. This cannot go on indefinitely.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragolord09 View Post
    I wonder how you guys feel about the following post that I found over at a blogspot called Always On Watch 3 typed by someone named Silverfiddle:

Conservatives are supposed to conserve, be the bastion of tradition, morality, cultural preservation, prudence and fiscal responsibility.

Liberals are supposed to be pushing the boundaries, opening new doors, advocating for new ways.

If one or the other got their way 100%, we would be in a leftwing or rightwing hell; but in a healthy political environment, a reasonable synthesis emerges: Prudent growth, lifting of outdated strictures, and a healthy society.

What we have instead is a toxic sewer of incoherence, eradication of consequence, and studied ignorance of facts on the ground and reality. This cannot go on indefinitely.
    This is a false dichotomy since the bolded statement is in no way true -- especially with regards to morality and fiscal responsibility.

This is not a "both sides" situation -- the fault is clearly primarily one-sided, as the past few decades of presidential administrations alone can attest.

If conservatives actually fulfilled their part of the "balance" -- and refrained from so much unethical, deceitful, hypocritical and blatantly undemocratic behavior -- then we might have a relatively healthy political system, but since that's not the case, there's no way of knowing for certain.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-20-2019 at 08:27 PM.

A GENERAL REMINDER TO EVERYONE

This thread is about politics and news. Conversation should definitely remain away from personal comments.

Thank you.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sorry, but those snot nosed punks made themselves the story by wearing those goddamn MAGA hats, I don’t give a **** if they’re high schoolers, they’re old enough know better. They’ve earned every bit of scorn they’ve gotten, and more.
    Why shouldn't they wear MAGA hats? Trump holds elected office, and has some fans. These kids were in a setting (pro-life rally) where apparel that shows support for a Republican President is not out of place.

If eight years ago, teens wearing the Obama sunrise T-shirts were seen as an example of them being snot nosed punks who should have known better, there would be a lot of pushback on the concept, and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You didn't say anything really -- you just posted something from a website that said "maybe" they were or weren't "offensive" or "problematic" and I responded that "maybe" they were just following in the footsteps of the man whose hat they were all wearing.

The video is there for all to see and to judge accordingly: if you want to make the argument that "maybe" how those kids were behaving in said video shouldn't be an issue, then -- as usual -- I don't see much point in trying to convince you otherwise.
    The question about disagreement was directed at WBE's expressed views, as he seemed to be bothered by what I said to the extent of saying it isn't just wrong but something no reasonable person could think.

You said the "maybe" and I pushed on what that meant. If there's no "maybe" and no ambiguity, that's a different discussion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

If eight years ago, teens wearing the Obama sunrise T-shirts were seen as an example of them being snot nosed punks who should have known better, there would be a lot of pushback on the concept, and rightly so.
    When Obama was in office, he was the one getting the attention for wearing tan suits and the like (not to mention being deemed a "stealth Muslim" by the current Republican president in office) so in this context a Republican talking about how people "should have known better" seems even more hypocritical than usual.

Meanwhile, plenty of black people were -- and still are -- getting negative "media attention" just for lawfully protesting for their civil rights (Black Lives Matters, NFL kneeling, etc) so I'm not sure how you can argue that these kids are being unfairly singled out for their "political" behavior.

Long after these kids are no longer in the spotlight, this kind of thing will still be happening to black (and brown and LGBT) people across the nation -- just like it has been happening since at least the days of MLK's protests and long prior -- each and every time they take a stand, or a knee, against injustice.

We can throw in Nancy Pelosi and AOC for good measure -- even Trump knows how to play the game of casting blame on the "radical left".

They are actually wearing the hat of the guy who called Obama a "Muslim" and has made racist statements against Mexicans and others -- how is it in any way wrong to assume that they most likely share his views on said issues?
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Why shouldn't they wear MAGA hats? Trump holds elected office, and has some fans. These kids were in a setting (pro-life rally) where apparel that shows support for a Republican President is not out of place.

You’re kidding, right? Because the Obama sunrise t-shirts weren’t associated with racism, xenophobia, homophobia, misogyny and the sort of rampant thuggery MAGA hats are.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Rudy clearly loves his own press and talking so much ; he's spent a week detailing this and admitting Trump did collude with Russia. He's clearly an idiot and should have been told to stay off TV. But can't help himself. Mueller likely has people watching and filming every spot Rudy does as the case continues.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Is it possible for a lawyer and defendant to both have undiagnosed dementia? Because that's the only explanation that explains just about everything.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sorry, but those snot nosed punks made themselves the story by wearing those goddamn MAGA hats, I don’t give a **** if they’re high schoolers, they’re old enough know better. They’ve earned every bit of scorn they’ve gotten, and more.
    There is video of one of those fine, upstanding, not-at-all-ignorant-racist, young men telling the Native Americans "Yeah, you stole the land from the aboriginals, we stole the land from you. That's just how it goes, land gets stolen."

So, idiot racist boy thinks Native Americans stole the land from 'aboriginals' so that makes everything that came after OK.

This is what he has been taught. In school, or by his parents, or by right wing media, or some combination of the three.

But yeah, I'm sure it was the black racists, not these innocent white boys wearing MAGA hats and smugly lunchables expressions while crowding around Mr. Phillip's and his people...and Steve King is just a concerned white man, not a racist, too.

Hawaii congresswoman and Democratic candidate for president Tulsi Gabbard said Sunday that her party’s leadership was not blameless for the partial government shutdown that is now approaching a month, accusing both sides of posturing and refusing to compromise.
    “The problem here is that this issue, like so many others in Washington, are being relegated to partisan politics,” she said in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union."

“Where if a Republican is putting forward a proposal, Democrats are going to shoot it down. If Democrats are putting forward a proposal, Republicans are going to shoot it down, really thinking about which party can call a win on this issue.”

I'm sure this will go over well with all the people she needs to vote for her to win the primary, right? Expect to see this continue and get worse as things heat up. I don't see Gabbard as having a path to the nomination but she can trash a lot of Democrats on her way through the process.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...utdown-1116066

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The moment you put on a MAGA hat, you out yourself as a horrible person.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Rudy clearly loves his own press and talking so much ; he's spent a week detailing this and admitting Trump did collude with Russia. He's clearly an idiot and should have been told to stay off TV. But can't help himself. Mueller likely has people watching and filming every spot Rudy does as the case continues.
    I picture Mueller leaning in and saying "tell me more" every time Rudy talks.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    They are wearing MAGA hats to express their patriotic fervor and love of country. Even Kanye West wore a MAGA hat.

Even if Trump will be out of office, some Trumpers will still wear MAGA hats.

But I believe the kids should be more civil towards an elder, especially one who served his country.

Everyone is entitled to the right to preserve their culture. White people trying to protect their white heritage is no more wrong than Mexicans, Native Americans, Blacks, Chinese and Japanese trying to protect their own heritages. But when a White man simply brags about his white heritage, he is called a racist and white supremacist.

...yiiiiikes.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/UrbanAchievr/sta...76985704976384

It's about a Trump aide's response when asked if he's a white nationalist.