Page 175 of 985 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275675 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If I were in the GOP, I'd get rid of Kavanaugh and fast track someone without such a sketchy past. But the GOP are doubling down on this guy, despite everything.

It's a bad look.

The court of public opinion was already not wild about him before these serious allegations. But now?
    That's your opinion for the best approach for them strategically, but it doesn't answer the question of what we should advocate for.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The problem is if you take politics out of it you run into the dead end of it’s going to impossible to conclusively determine what happened unless one of the three admits to lying. Nobody was there besides them, nothing was reported, it was apparently never discussed by the alleged victim until several decades after the fact. On that level I do see the point Republicans are making that an FBI investigation will almost exclusively still come down to her testimony vs his and probably will only serve drag it out. It’s 35 years later, I can’t see the possibility at all of any physical evidence existing either on the victim or in the room it happened. Only 3 people were apparently in the room. If it happened it only got to the point of attempted rape, so it’s not like there’s going to be a rape kit or some signs of penetration. And I can imagine you are going to find many witnesses able to corroborate which people were in what rooms at what times at a 30 year old high school party.

Unfortunately I think it’s just coming down to what she says vs what they say and at that point just have an FBI investigator at the testimony to ask relevant questions.

The reality is if the goal is to stop Kavanaugh outright the best bet is too put Ford on a stand to sell her account and let the public decide if they find her credible and force the Republican Senate to die on that hill or nominate someone else.
    There is some potential evidence that could come to light. Kavanaugh's reaction and Ms Ford's actions can help tip the scales. We may also learn more about them in the coming week, in addition to people who have had bad experiences with Kavanaugh, or Ms. Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, it's clear the GOP is ready and raring to die on their hill for Kavanaugh rather than give Democrats a victory by backing away from the pick. Meanwhile, Bob 'n' Weave Brett won't do the right thing under the circumstances and rescind his nomination, showing to me he lacks the moral center to be a member of SCOTUS. But then, I guess Trump picked Kavanaugh because he lacks morals.
    Why is the right thing for Kavanaugh to rescind his nomination? How does this demonstrate a lack of moral center?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    My two questions would then be:

1. How likely is this to go to court? Is there a statute of limitations? Would it get by a grand jury? Would a prosecutor want to
    Take on a 30 year old allegation?

2. In the highly likely event that it ends up being inconclusive, what do you do? Do you give Kavanaugh the benefit of the doubt or virebjim as too much of a question mark?
    The legal system has a high standard of insisting on guilt beyond on a reasonable doubt, which means that someone who is probably but not certainly guilty should be allowed to be free, so there's definitely the potential for results to be inconclusive.

Another potential problem is that because she doesn't know where the event occurred, the local jurisdiction is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Just a factoid: Maryland, where this event took place, has no statute of limitations for rape or attempted rape.

I am not suggesting that he'll be charged or anything. I think that's unlikely, just that the statue of limitations isn't something that'll play a role in justice or lack thereof.
    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    This is like a combo of Bork and Thomas at the moment. The latter for the sexual nature bringing his nomination into question, the former because of Kavanaugh's background as a "dirty tricks" member of the GOP attacking the Clintons as part of Starr's investigations and trying to link Hillary Clinton to Vince Foster's suicide, and that he might not get voted in after all is said and done.

I mean, Harriet Miers was poorly vetted by Bush 43, but she withdrew her own nomination before going to a hearing, unlike Kavanaugh, who was hoping Grassley and Co. could ramrod him through before anyone knew any better about him being a drunken attempted rapist.

Man, I don't know if there's a prosecutor with the guts to try a 25 year old attempted rape case under these circumstances. Most don't have the guts to even do it if it happened two days ago under these sorts of circumstances.
    I wrote this before, but the blocking of the Miers appointment came from Republicans.

The main issue was that they weren't confident about her views on certain issues. That made her appealing to Democrats, who preferred someone who might end up holding up liberal views to someone with a proven conservative record.

One of the reasons she was nominated by Bush was that she was on a list of potential nominees that Reid said would pass with the support of Democrats.

Here's what the Washington Post reported at the time she withdrew her nomination.
    Senate Democrats, meanwhile, called on Bush to name a consensus candidate, while chastising him for giving in to the demands of conservative activists. "The radical right wing of the Republican Party killed the Harriet Miers nomination," said Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.), who had recommended that Bush consider her for the high court. "Apparently, Ms. Miers did not satisfy those who would pack the court with rigid ideologues."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    It's a Trek Joke

Q has almost always been Anti-Authoritarian and Pro Freedom as opposed to the fascist Q Continuum.
    538 has found it to be quite accurate, and very slightly Democratic-leaning.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There were things I didn’t like about The Constitutional Reform Act of 2005 in the UK, including the new naming of the highest appeallate court as The Supreme Court (it ain’t really all that Supreme) but at least it handed over judicial appointments to an independent Commission.

I have a huge amount of respect and affection for the US, and God knows we’re ripping ourselves apart over the nonsense of Brexit here, but as an outsider I have never been able to understand the politicisation of judicial appointments, which only can work when those involved have at least some regard for propriety.

Well, I guess it’s a more democratic system. For the time being, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    538 has found it to be quite accurate, and very slightly Democratic-leaning.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Not only do they take from hurricane relief, they steal from other places more deserving.

The Department of Health and Human Services is diverting millions of dollars in funding from a number of programs, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health, to pay for housing for the growing population of detained immigrant children.

In a letter sent to Sen. Patty Murray, D.-Wash., and obtained by Yahoo News, HHS Secretary Alex Azar outlined his plan to reallocate up to $266 million in funding for the current fiscal year, which ends on Sept. 30, to the Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC) program in the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR).

Nearly $80 million of that money will come from other refugee support programs within ORR, which have seen their needs significantly diminished as the Trump administration makes drastic cuts to the annual refugee numbers. The rest is being taken from other programs, including $16.7 million from Head Start, $5.7 million from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS program and $13.3 million from the National Cancer Institute. Money is also being diverted from programs dedicated to mental and maternal health, women’s shelters and substance abuse.

Trump suggested building a wall across the Sahara Desert to Spain to stop migrants. No seriously.

A high-ranking Spanish official says President Donald Trump offered an odd suggestion for helping to halt the arrival of migrants to the European country.

Foreign minister Josep Borrell revealed that Trump urged Spain to adopt a solution similar to his own signature campaign proposal, reported El País.

“Build a wall in the Sahara,” Trump suggested, according to the Spanish official.

The Spanish delegation expressed skepticism, but the U.S. president pressed on.

“The border with the Sahara can not be bigger than ours with Mexico,” Trump argued.

Also, this is a bad endorsement.

In an interview with the pro-Trump One American News network, failed GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore urged his fellow Republicans to vote with their “conscience” and support Brett Kavanaugh‘s Supreme Court nomination.

“I think they need to take a stand,” Moore said. “I think they need to do what their conscience dictates. They know what’s happening.”

“It’s so obvious that these tactics are used just days before a very important event,” Moore said. “But these come up right before an election or a confirmation, and I think the Republicans need to take a stand. I think a lot of them don’t. They don’t like criticism.”

He went on to claim that Democrats bring sexual misconduct allegations for political gain.

“I think they don’t care about transparency, they just use it because it’s effective,” he told ONN. “They know that on the one hand, you offend women if you believe somebody that says they weren’t guilty of sexual misconduct. On the other hand, if you don’t believe them, you’re condemning the person accused of guilt to prove his own innocence. It’s a Catch-22.”

I love the Guardian version of this story which posts a picture of the Sahara dwarfing the entirety of Spain.

I fully believe Trump has dementia or some other neurological condition, all the other outcomes are far too depressing.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 09-19-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    He makes W look better every day.
    Like herpes makes chlamydia look better.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I love the Guardian version of this story which posts a picture of the Sahara dwarfing the entirety of Spain.

I fully believe Trump has dementia or some other neurological condition, all the other outcomes are far too depressing.
    My theory is that he either has some sort of sick wall fetish he's trying to indulge in and it's only a matter of time before we catch him naked grinding against a cement mixer, or he got offended by a Pink Floyd concert in the past and wants to ruin walls for everyone.

Someone really needs to sit President Trump down, and explain to him that life has a tendency to be tough and/or unfair.

The way the guy goes on about those two, you'd think he was completely unaware that they were a part of the human condition prior to his deciding to run for office.

Also...

The GOP are framing this like the nominee's accuser is confused and/or making things up. What kind of a kook calls for a FBI investigation of something they are fabricating?

It's essentially saying "Why, yes. I would like to be charged with a felony when I lie to a Fed."

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Like herpes makes chlamydia look better.
    Sick burn, dude.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump Tells Hurricane Florence Survivor ‘At Least You Got A Nice Boat Out Of The Deal’

Trump also told two survivors to “have a good time.” More proof Trump is a sociopath who possesses ZERO empathy for his fellow Americans. I mean, who the **** says **** like THAT in the aftermath of a nightmarish hurricane that upended lives?

Lindsey Graham Suggests GOP Should Confirm Kavanaugh Quickly Before Midterm Elections

Delaying a Supreme Court confirmation vote until after an election isn’t anything new. Republicans did it with Merrick Garland. Yeah, rush that nomination through before Trump gets pissed and before voters see what a mistake Bob 'n' Weave Brett would be as a Supreme. Meanwhile....

The FBI Could Look Into Allegations Against Kavanaugh. Trump Doesn’t Want It To.

The president claims looking into sexual assault allegation isn’t the bureau’s “thing.” It could be, if he’d just ask. makes you wonder why, eh?

Federal Agency Says It Lost Track Of 1,488 Migrant Children

The Health and Human Services Department first disclosed that it had lost track of 1,475 children late last year, as it came under fire at a Senate hearing in April. That's absolutely abominable!

Disturbing Supercut Shows Trump Repeatedly Defending Men Accused Of Crimes, Misconduct

The president often leaps to the defense of men when they’re accused by women. Well, coming from the Misogynst-in-Chief who's famous for saying "Grab 'em by the p*ssy", I'm not surprised.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    My theory is that he either has some sort of sick wall fetish he's trying to indulge in and it's only a matter of time before we catch him naked grinding against a cement mixer, or he got offended by a Pink Floyd concert in the past and wants to ruin walls for everyone.
    He knows he's saying dumb stuff. He just thinks that it doesn't matter and that he can get away with it.

Oh, how interesting.

Brett "Alex Kozinski's protege" Kavanaugh paid it forward by recommending Rob Porter to the Trump Administration, per Bob Woodward.