Page 192 of 985 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242292692 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I mean, they totally let Al Franken get away with everything, just because he was one of their most popular and media savvy senators.
    They dumped Franken at a convenient time (it signaled a contrast with Trump, and with then-Senate candidate Roy Moore) when there were limited consequences for the party (the Democratic Governor replaced him with a qualified woman who could be expected to have a standard Democratic voting record.)

It was a political calculation, which means it's not integrity over partisanship. It might've made the difference in the Alabama Senate race.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    They dumped Franken at a convenient time (it signaled a contrast with Trump, and with then-Senate candidate Roy Moore) when there were limited consequences for the party (the Democratic Governor replaced him with a qualified woman who could be expected to have a standard Democratic voting record.)

It was a political calculation, which means it's not integrity over partisanship. It might've made the difference in the Alabama Senate race.
    It's more integrity than any republican politician has shown in the past 8 years.

Sometimes conservatives saying that Democrats "are just as bad" sound like someone who got caught murdering his wife and complaining about his neighbor who regularly jay-walks.

So your "political calculation" is to support your party putting a sexual preditor on the Court. Nice.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Sometimes conservatives saying that Democrats "are just as bad" sound like someone who got caught murdering his wife and complaining about his neighbor who regularly jay-walks.
    The specific comment I was responding to was about whether dumping Franken was an example of putting integrity over partisanship.

It was an effective partisan move that may have given the Democrats two percent in the Alabama special election.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So your "political calculation" is to support your party putting a sexual preditor on the Court. Nice.
    That doesn't address the substance of my point, but I don't think Kavanaugh is a sexual predator.

The first allegation shouldn't be enough to paint someone as a sexual predator, due to the lack of corroboration from anyone else.

The second allegation is even flimsier, as even the alleged victim didn't see Kavanaugh do the thing she claims he did, and had been telling others at Yale she wasn't sure he did anything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/u...gtype=Homepage

The New York Times had interviewed several dozen people over the past week in an attempt to corroborate Ms. Ramirez’s story, and could find no one with firsthand knowledge. Ms. Ramirez herself contacted former Yale classmates asking if they recalled the episode and told some of them that she could not be certain Mr. Kavanaugh was the one who exposed himself.
    I am waiting Avenatti's report on habitual gang rapes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The specific comment I was responding to was about whether dumping Franken was an example of putting integrity over partisanship.

It was an effective partisan move that may have given the Democrats two percent in the Alabama special election.

That doesn't address the substance of my point, but I don't think Kavanaugh is a sexual predator.

The first allegation shouldn't be enough to paint someone as a sexual predator, due to the lack of corroboration from anyone else.

The second allegation is even flimsier, as even the alleged victim didn't see Kavanaugh do the thing she claims he did, and had been telling others at Yale she wasn't sure he did anything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/u...gtype=Homepage

I am waiting Avenatti's report on habitual gang rapes.
    Former roommate: Brett Kavanaugh was an aggressive, belligerent, incoherent drunk
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

He does not make any claim to have witnessed Kavanaugh commit sexual assault.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

So what will it take Mets, the third woman, the fourth? How many woman come forward before he loses your support?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You do know that Bork had to withdraw for using Marijuana in college. Yet it's okay to have a Supreme Court Justice who has a history of alcoholism?
    Last edited by Tami; 09-25-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

So what will it take Mets, the third woman, the fourth? How many woman come forward before he loses your support?
    At this point, in addition to Ford giving her testimony in some formal setting, I'd want at least one more credible person who saw something to testify to that effect. It doesn't have to be a woman who says they were victimized. It could be someone who saw firsthand what happened to Ramirez.

Ramirez's testimony has some gaps, and it took her a few days to decide that she was certain. Even then, she didn't actually see Kavanaugh expose himself.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...eborah-ramirez

She was at first hesitant to speak publicly, partly because her memories contained gaps because she had been drinking at the time of the alleged incident. In her initial conversations with The New Yorker, she was reluctant to characterize Kavanaugh’s role in the alleged incident with certainty. After six days of carefully assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney, Ramirez said that she felt confident enough of her recollections to say that she remembers Kavanaugh had exposed himself at a drunken dormitory party, thrust his penis in her face, and caused her to touch it without her consent as she pushed him away.

She recalled that the party took place in a suite at Lawrance Hall, in the part of Yale known as Old Campus, and that a small group of students decided to play a drinking game together. “We were sitting in a circle,” she said. “People would pick who drank.” Ramirez was chosen repeatedly, she said, and quickly became inebriated. At one point, she said, a male student pointed a gag plastic penis in her direction. Later, she said, she was on the floor, foggy and slurring her words, as that male student and another stood nearby. (Ramirez identified the two male onlookers, but, at her request, The New Yorker is not naming them.)

A third male student then exposed himself to her. “I remember a penis being in front of my face,” she said. “I knew that’s not what I wanted, even in that state of mind.” She recalled remarking, “That’s not a real penis,” and the other students laughing at her confusion and taunting her, one encouraging her to “kiss it.” She said that she pushed the person away, touching it in the process. Ramirez, who was raised a devout Catholic, in Connecticut, said that she was shaken. “I wasn’t going to touch a penis until I was married,” she said. “I was embarrassed and ashamed and humiliated.” She remembers Kavanaugh standing to her right and laughing, pulling up his pants. “Brett was laughing,” she said. “I can still see his face, and his hips coming forward, like when you pull up your pants.” She recalled another male student shouting about the incident. “Somebody yelled down the hall, ‘Brett Kavanaugh just put his penis in Debbie’s face,’ ” she said. “It was his full name. I don’t think it was just ‘Brett.’ And I remember hearing and being mortified that this was out there.”

Ramirez acknowledged that there are significant gaps in her memories of the evening, and that, if she ever presents her story to the F.B.I. or members of the Senate, she will inevitably be pressed on her motivation for coming forward after so many years, and questioned about her memory, given her drinking at the party.

And yet, after several days of considering the matter carefully, she said, “I’m confident about the pants coming up, and I’m confident about Brett being there.”
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Too bad the GOP won't let the FBI investgate.

That works out pretty well for your deniability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    You do know that Bork had to withdraw for using Marijuana in college. Yet it's okay to have a Supreme Court Justice who has a history of alcoholism?
    First, I haven't said anything about the merits of that decision.

Second, there is a distinction between abuse of a legal substance and an abuse of an illegal substance.

Third, Kavanaugh hasn't been established to be an alcoholic. It would matter what his level of alcohol use now is.

Fourth, Bork's nomination wasn't scuttled by his use of marijuana. You're thinking about Douglas Ginsburg.

Finally, it wasn't just about Ginsburg's use of weed as a student, but as a professor. It's thus a bit misleading to say that anyone "had to withdraw for using Marijuana in college" when we're talking about what someone did in their late 20s (this was a nominee in his early 40s.)

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/08/u...na-clamor.html

Oddly enough, conservatives were punished for their opposition to Ginsburg, since the eventual nominee went on to be the swing vote on gay marriage.

https://twitter.com/elliosch/status/...858562/video/1
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I just want to reiterate...

The President of this country got laughed at today on the WORLD Stage.

That is all.

So it's whataboutism now.

But then again you defend your sexual preditor of a President.

Serious question...

What do you think the proposed investigation uncovers?

While I'm not going to say nothing happened, I am not aware of any folks coming forward to say they are certain that either of the first two accusers are making an accusation that can be proven.