Page 679 of 679 FirstFirst ... 179579629669675676677678679
Results 10,171 to 10,180 of 10180
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    See, while I don't agree with the sentiment here, I don't see how some can define it as antisemitism. They're not saying that they hate all Jews. They're not saying that Israel has no right to exist as a nation or a homeland for the Jewish people. They're saying that they demand that the Israeli government change a few of their key policies. While that is quite a big deal, it does not amount to antisemitism.
    The problem is White Supremacists/Alt Right/Neo Nazis have heavily used the "We're not anti-semites, we've just got a problem with Israel" line so often its become a dogwhistle.

The whole thing is a shit show however and I'm of the opinion that the west as a whole should give no one aid militarily.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    It's interesting because this is such an unprecedented move for Mueller, who has not issued any kind of statement before.

On the other hand:

"BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the Special Counsel's Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony are not accurate," said Peter Carr, a spokesman for Mueller's office, in a statement.
    sounds like very careful wording. They could have just come out and said "we have not seen any evidence that Trump directed Cohen to lie." They're complaining about the minutiae of the Buzzfeed report instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yeah, this was my take too.
    That's a possibility. That said, I can't see them tipping any of their hand to say what you mentioned. Leaves an opening for no good reason that the folks that they are investigating could run with.

The Ronan Farrow component was the wrinkle.

The picture looks one way when it's just Carr's statement after Thursday night. It starts to get more interesting once that pair of comments from Farrow happen.

If it's just a picture that looks that one way, why would Farrow feel the need to mention any of that?
    Last edited by numberthirty; Today at 03:18 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The problem is White Supremacists/Alt Right/Neo Nazis have heavily used the "We're not anti-semites, we've just got a problem with Israel" line so often its become a dogwhistle.

The whole thing is a shit show however and I'm of the opinion that the west as a whole should give no one aid militarily.
    There's no point in trying to address the Israel-Palestine conflict at this point, because the events of the last few years have shown that it was just really a proxy for the wider conflict between nationalists and pluralists all along. The mind boggling support that the otherwise rabidly anti-semitic white supremacists show for Israel can only be explained by the fact that in their minds, Israel is sort of like the last bastion of European colonialism and must be preserved if the West is to reverse the tide. On the other hand, left wingers tend to project the struggles of minority groups at home onto the Palestinians, even though the ideologies put forth by Palestinian groups would be rightfully deemed revolting. For decades, Palestine has been a useful hot spot for the two sides to air out their grievances, but ever since the election of Trump there has been no need to use the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as a conduit to channel these emotions anymore.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump Teases ‘Major’ Shutdown Announcement For Saturday

Trump didn’t provide details on what he will announce, but previously raised the possibility of declaring a national emergency to fund his proposed border wall. If Dolt45 is dumb enough to go there, he'll open the door for future Democratic presidents to make similar declarations on REAL emergencies like gun violence, health insurance or climate change. Have it, Donnie!

Nancy Pelosi Cancels Afghanistan Trip After Accusing Trump Of Leaking Travel Plans

The House speaker cited “the grave threats caused by the President’s action.” Trump put the safety of Speaker Pelosi and her delegation at risk just so he could get back at her for suggesting he cancel his State of the Union speech. Talk about petty as hell.

Shep Smith Fact-Checks Fellow Fox News Host Chris Wallace To His Face Over Shutdown

Wallace said “both sides” were to blame for the government shutdown. Smith vehemently disagreed. Nothing better than a Faux News cat fight!

Former Coast Guard Officers Slam Washington As ‘Derelict’ In Not Ending Shutdown

Service members “don’t deserve to have their pay held hostage by their own government leadership,” the ex-master chiefs wrote. I'll second that emotion.

George Conway Tweets One Bit Of Advice For ‘Pathological Liar’ Trump

Kellyanne Conway’s husband fired back at Trump’s attack on the “fake news” media.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I was on another forum and had someone, a 'concerned citizen' who dislikes the idea of confronting - and punching, if need be - Nazis where they gather, tell me that if we keep provoking neo-Nazis and punching them when they spout their garbage, eventually, one of them will snap and throw acid in our faces or take us to their murder dungeon and torture us to death.

You could end up punching someone and end up hospitalized, paralyzed, have acid thrown in your face, dead, kidnapped, tortured, etc. Is it really worth it to take those kinds of risks?
    Am...am I crazy, or is "You might wind up in a murder dungeon" like...the single WORST reason to not confront bigots where they gather...? Is that not just the most...cowardly shit you have ever seen?

"Welp, if you keep fighting for equality, eventually, Garuda will descend from the heavens and devour you alive. So you better stop making a ruckus, lefties...!"

LOL. I mean, seriously...
    Last edited by zinderel; Today at 03:50 AM.
    There is no such thing as an ethical Republican anymore. Period.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I was on another forum and had someone, a 'concerned citizen' who dislikes the idea of confronting - and punching, if need be - Nazis where they gather, tell me that if we keep provoking neo-Nazis and punching them when they spout their garbage, eventually, one of them will snap and throw acid in our faces or take us to their murder dungeon and torture us to death.

Am...am I crazy, or is "You might wind up in a murder dungeon" like...the single WORST reason to not confront bigots where they gather...? Is that not just the most...cowardly shit you have ever seen?

"Welp, if you keep fighting for equality, eventually, Garuda will descend from the heavens and devour you alive. So you better stop making a ruckus, lefties...!"

LOL. I mean, seriously...
    Depends on whether there's a palpable risk of a feedback loop of escalating aggression. And figuring that out requires gleaning the respective states of mind of whatever opposing parties are involved.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; Today at 05:06 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Depends on whether there's a palpable risk of a feedback loop of escalating aggression. And figuring that out requires gleaning the respective states of mind of whatever opposing parties are involved.
    Well regardless of whether you think your side has the advantage in a confrontation, creating an atmosphere where violence is an acceptable means of settling poiltical disputes inevitably leads to the kind of chaos that produces authoritarian dictators. At the end of the day, punching fascists will just give them exactly what they want, no matter how satisfying it may feel at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I've heard of Douglas Ernst's blog given that he relentlessly stalked Dan Slott.
    He's also a pizzagate believer.

https://douglasernst.blog/2016/11/24...and-deceivers/

His more recent comments are generally a defense of comicsgate.

I did notice one tendency he had to consistently go after the left and the center for going too far without actually saying what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well regardless of whether you think your side has the advantage in a confrontation, creating an atmosphere where violence is an acceptable means of settling poiltical disputes inevitably leads to the kind of chaos that produces authoritarian dictators. At the end of the day, punching fascists will just give them exactly what they want, no matter how satisfying it may feel at first.
    There is also the problem that people willing to use violence to settle disputes might not be the best at determining what views are so extreme as to merit violence.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's a possibility. That said, I can't see them tipping any of their hand to say what you mentioned. Leaves an opening for no good reason that the folks that they are investigating could run with.

The Ronan Farrow component was the wrinkle.

The picture looks one way when it's just Carr's statement after Thursday night. It starts to get more interesting once that pair of comments from Farrow happen.

If it's just a picture that looks that one way, why would Farrow feel the need to mention any of that?
    We'll find out soon enough. Something this big would definitely be part of Mueller's report if there is substantial evidence for it.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Man, the commentators don't like it.

And that's people with New York Times accounts, who tend to be far to the left of the yahoo comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He's also a pizzagate believer.

https://douglasernst.blog/2016/11/24...and-deceivers/

His more recent comments are generally a defense of comicsgate.

I did notice one tendency he had to consistently go after the left and the center for going too far without actually saying what he wants.
    He's a comicsgate precursor, an early manifestation of a malignancy in the fandom.