Page 774 of 985 FirstFirst ... 274674724764770771772773774775776777778784824874 ... LastLast
Results 11,596 to 11,610 of 14769
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Again pandora's box is opening and Trump will end up paying. I mean you can make anything a nationwide crisis. See your nice tax cuts Donny , see how they are hurting the middle class and American people. Shame if the next President proclaims its a National Emergency and has them removed restoring the previous era tax plan ? Could you see the Republican explosion over it ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Bipartisanship doesn't mean capitulation.
    Especially since the dude in question has already written a report on how the president cant obstruct justice. Well before seeing any evidence for or against and without being asked for one I might add. Yeah no, they aren't gonna just vote for a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Again pandora's box is opening and Trump will end up paying. I mean you can make anything a nationwide crisis. See your nice tax cuts Donny , see how they are hurting the middle class and American people. Shame if the next President proclaims its a National Emergency and has them removed restoring the previous era tax plan ? Could you see the Republican explosion over it ?
    I hate to say it but with the way our country is going, just wait till the next mass shooting event. What then?

OH WBE-EEEeeeeeee...
    Proponents of the measure had cited the cost of maintaining the death penalty — about $1 million a year — said abolishing it would create a more humane justice system that couldn't execute innocent people, and showcased evidence that capital punishment doesn't deter crime. Opponents argued that executing inmates gives closure to the relatives of their victims and said it was a useful law enforcement tool. And then there was state Sen. Lynn Hutchings (R), who pointed to Jesus, believed by Christians to have been without sin.
    "The greatest man who ever lived died via the death penalty for you and me," Hutchings said. "I'm grateful to him for our future hope because of this. Governments were instituted to execute justice. If it wasn't for Jesus dying via the death penalty, we would all have no hope."
    https://theweek.com/speedreads/82397...xion-rationale

"We have to keep the death penalty so we can kill Jesus again" is... an idea, I guess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    44 Democrats voted against Barr who was previously confirmed by the entire senate including the Democrats in 1991.

So much for the Congress being bipartisan.
    People can change in nearly 3 decades. Look at Giuliani.

https://apnews.com/7f81fc29e1084b33abc5fbd712c89235

From my own neck of the woods:

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A member of Portland’s city council said Thursday a newspaper’s report that the commander for the police rapid response team exchanged friendly text messages with a leader of far-right protests that have rocked the city confirms collusion exists between some police and right-wing extremists.
    “I am not shocked, and I am not surprised at today’s reporting of Lt. Jeff Niiya’s collaboration with Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson over text to provide aid and support for their hate marches,” Councilwoman Jo Ann Hardesty said in a statement.

Mighty Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that the past 12 hours or so of Ann Coulter's Twitter are gold.

She is so mad right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    As someone who was at the May Day march that devolved into an urban warzone a few years back, color me unsurprised to discover that some/several Portland Police support the kind of neo-fascist rhetoric Joey Gibson spouts. They fired concussion grenades into a crowd with kids and disabled folks and the elderly in order to protect businesses from having to see people march for workers rights. *shrug* ACAB.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    more 'centrist' backstabbing
    In all fairness, if the nominee has the votes anyway, I'd rather see these people, who occupy vulnerable spots, vote to confirm them. At least it is one less thing to be tied directly to the party and something they can point to when campaigning. I don't understand why people care so much about what these vulnerable Democrats do when the vote is going to break down in a particular way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The shattered norms with the behavior of the committee was in response to members of the committee and their staff going against established norms (holding on to evidence until the last moment, leaking the name of the accuser against her wishes, referring to spurious allegations as evidence against him.)
    Wasn't the information leaked? Yeah, that was pretty uncool to out someone who didn't want to be referred to. No argument here. However, it is also clear that no judicial nominee should've reacted like that. That was the performance of an entitled child who got his hand caught in the cookie jar and was now threatened with not getting a new gaming system he was promised. It was embarrassing. And he shouldn't have even had his name considered past that point.

I would just like to note that the reasons that you are defending Kavanaugh are precisely the reasons why my friend didn't come out about her sexual assault. Why would anyone believe her in a he-said, she-said process where he doesn't have a history of sexual assault otherwise? The fact that the entire party made this argument makes me sick to my stomach and, frankly, everyone who did ought to be ashamed of themselves.

It's more about the precedent of allowing an uncorroborated allegation to end a judicial nomination, which would also push the President into picking someone less impressive, and extend the process in a way that advantages the opposition.
    It's not about uncorroborated allegations at the end of the day. At the end of the day, Kavanaugh was confirmed in spite of blatantly partisan rhetoric (which is actually illegal for judges to do) that he engaged in. We've now set the precedent that judges can engage in blatantly partisan rhetoric, shattering the norm that the judiciary is independent and above that of the political fray. Again, there were plenty of other candidates that were equally, or more, qualified to hold that position even on that list that Trump put out. What was different about Kavanaugh? His ideas about unlimited power for the executive. That's what. The other candidates were in no way less impressive.

Again, why wouldn't Democrats have employed these kinds of tactics, since you seem to think that these allegations were trumped up for political reasons, when Gorsuch was being considered? They would've had an even better hand at the time, as they would've still had the ability to filibuster the nominee and the argument that the seat was unrightfully held open so that it could be filled by a Republican president (who didn't even secure a plurality of the vote in the prior election). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wait to use the tactic on a nominee that didn't have all of that baggage against him as well.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Also consider that some of the Democratic Senators voting today were not yet in the Senate in 1991.

Six hours after he declares immigration a "national emergency", while admitting he "didn't need to do this" but "just wanted to do it faster" (which will likely lead to an easy dismissal in a court hearing for this being an abuse of power), Trump will handle that emergency by getting on a plane and going golfing in Florida for three or four days.

Inspiring stuff. I remember reading how after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, that FDR shot hoops with friends over the weekend.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 02-15-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

“The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot.” -- Ann Coulter

For once, we agree.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    In all fairness, if the nominee has the votes anyway, I'd rather see these people, who occupy vulnerable spots, vote to confirm them. At least it is one less thing to be tied directly to the party and something they can point to when campaigning. I don't understand why people care so much about what these vulnerable Democrats do when the vote is going to break down in a particular way anyway.

Wasn't the information leaked? Yeah, that was pretty uncool to out someone who didn't want to be referred to. No argument here. However, it is also clear that no judicial nominee should've reacted like that. That was the performance of an entitled child who got his hand caught in the cookie jar and was now threatened with not getting a new gaming system he was promised. It was embarrassing. And he shouldn't have even had his name considered past that point.

I would just like to note that the reasons that you are defending Kavanaugh are precisely the reasons why my friend didn't come out about her sexual assault. Why would anyone believe her in a he-said, she-said process where he doesn't have a history of sexual assault otherwise? The fact that the entire party made this argument makes me sick to my stomach and, frankly, everyone who did ought to be ashamed of themselves.

It's not about uncorroborated allegations at the end of the day. At the end of the day, Kavanaugh was confirmed in spite of blatantly partisan rhetoric (which is actually illegal for judges to do) that he engaged in. We've now set the precedent that judges can engage in blatantly partisan rhetoric, shattering the norm that the judiciary is independent and above that of the political fray. Again, there were plenty of other candidates that were equally, or more, qualified to hold that position even on that list that Trump put out. What was different about Kavanaugh? His ideas about unlimited power for the executive. That's what. The other candidates were in no way less impressive.

Again, why wouldn't Democrats have employed these kinds of tactics, since you seem to think that these allegations were trumped up for political reasons, when Gorsuch was being considered? They would've had an even better hand at the time, as they would've still had the ability to filibuster the nominee and the argument that the seat was unrightfully held open so that it could be filled by a Republican president (who didn't even secure a plurality of the vote in the prior election). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wait to use the tactic on a nominee that didn't have all of that baggage against him as well.
    As a society, we probably don't deal with ambiguity very well, where it's possible that someone did a terrible thing and is now lying about, and it's also possible that the same person is wrongly accused. We each have our own standards, and these should be clearly articulated.

I'm not convinced Kavanaugh was clearly wrong in anything he said, which is why I'm not bothered by what you call blatantly partisan rhetoric. If you want to discuss specific quotations, I can do that.

His resume was actually rather impressive. He was widely considered a potential Supreme Court pick for Romney. A USA Today description said that on paper, he may have been the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in decades.

On paper, Brett Michael Kavanaugh may be the most qualified Supreme Court nominee in generations.

Like Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Clarence Thomas, he has served on the second-most powerful court in the nation. Like Justices Anthony Kennedy, Stephen Breyer, Samuel Alito, Sonia Sotomayor and Neil Gorsuch, he brings more than a decade's experience as a federal appeals court judge. And like Justice Elena Kagan, he has worked at the side of a two-term president.

But Kavanaugh's 12 years on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, combined with his Yale pedigree, Supreme Court clerkship under retiring Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy and top posts under President George W. Bush, give him a résumé the court's current justices can't match.

It may be in his blood: Even his mother, Martha, became a Maryland state judge a quarter-century ago.

"I have interviewed many candidates for the federal bench, including Roberts and Alito," said Bush's former attorney general, Alberto Gonzales. "There is no question in my mind regarding Brett for the Supreme Court. He has a track record that demonstrates his talents and his judicial philosophy."

More than anyone else in conservative legal circles today, Kavanaugh, 53, has been viewed as a Supreme Court justice-in-waiting. While waiting, he has written some 300 opinions and sent 41 of his law clerks to similar posts at the high court — far more than any of his competitors for the nomination.
    As for why Democrats didn't use these tactics against Gorsuch, the main difference is that there wasn't the initial allegation. Once the first allegation came out against Kavanaugh, more emerged that were patently BS.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    It's also not a matter of the person changing, but the circumstances changing.

One can avoid any side-argument about Barr's merits as a human being by noting that views that would be fine for George HW Bush's Attorney General are a problem with a president who was under FBI investigation, and who fired the previous Attorney General for not getting involved in that investigation.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    “The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot.” -- Ann Coulter

For once, we agree.
    It took Coulter THIS long to figure that out? Clearly she didn’t get the memo about Trump being a dope.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"45 year low on illegal border crossings this year. Ice and Border Patrol Agents are doing a great job for our Country. MS-13 thugs being hit hard."

Donald Trump, 2/28/2018
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html