Page 522 of 985 FirstFirst ... 22422472512518519520521522523524525526532572622 ... LastLast
Results 7,816 to 7,830 of 14769
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Here's the issue now. Trump's base loves what he did there. So now the Democrats are left with a decision. Trump said he'll:

1. Be proud to shut down the government.
    2. Will take the mantle for doing it.
    3. Will not blame Schumer or the Democrats for the shutdown.

So now the Democrats have to show that they have a spine and will let Trump hang himself with the rope he's been making or run to appease him. Now if you give him an inch after he offered to take the blame, you like cowards. Yeah it sucks that the gov might shut down. Run that clip over and over of him saying "I won't blame you". Or look weak and cut a deal.

Let him shut down the government. Let him and his base take all the heat for the fallout. If he fucking starts blaming you, play that clip all over the media. Then if and when he concedes, say good the wall is off the table forever, we won't be negotiating on that any more. Sweat it out and win. Or appease. The next move says a lot
    I agree with everything you said. Even though I'm a government worker who may or may not be affected by a furlough, let me go on record saying Pelosi and Schumer should call Trump's bluff, wash their hands of the whole stinking mess and tell him to go right ahead with a shutdown which would fully be owned by him and the GOP (which I'm sure wants nothing to do with it). When workers go ballistic at being furloughed (without pay) just before Christmas, all that rage will be aimed squarely at Dolt45 and the Republicans for being intractable about a wall which anyone with one working brain cell knows WILL. NOT. WORK. And yeah, the Dems should absolutely stand fast and let the GOP take ALL the blame, cut NO deals, give Trump NO concessions whatsoever, a little short term pain now for the chance to permanently end any talk of that damned wall is a risk worth taking. I'm all for that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Here's the issue now. Trump's base loves what he did there. So now the Democrats are left with a decision. Trump said he'll:

1. Be proud to shut down the government.
    2. Will take the mantle for doing it.
    3. Will not blame Schumer or the Democrats for the shutdown.

So now the Democrats have to show that they have a spine and will let Trump hang himself with the rope he's been making or run to appease him. Now if you give him an inch after he offered to take the blame, you like cowards. Yeah it sucks that the gov might shut down. Run that clip over and over of him saying "I won't blame you". Or look weak and cut a deal.

Let him shut down the government. Let him and his base take all the heat for the fallout. If he fucking starts blaming you, play that clip all over the media. Then if and when he concedes, say good the wall is off the table forever, we won't be negotiating on that any more. Sweat it out and win. Or appease. The next move says a lot
    No one cares what trumps base likes other than him and fox news. They can't be reasoned with and defend the indefensible.

So like you said though the people that CAN be reasoned with and understand truth should be shown the clips over and over. He said Mexico was paying for it. Why is he shutting down our government then because we wont waste american taxpayers money to cover for his lies. It is a winning strategy and there's plenty of evidence all over the place showing how ineffective his wall was. That it was always a racist vanity project not worth the money. Transpose it with this is what he would waste billions on but he wont do anything to fix healthcare costs that WILL effect everyday people. I am vehemently against appeasing him. But, I don't mind money towards maintaining the existing fencing etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I agree with everything you said. Even though I'm a government worker who may or may not be affected by a furlough, let me go on record saying Pelosi and Schumer should call Trump's bluff, wash their hands of the whole stinking mess and tell him to go right ahead with a shutdown which would fully be owned by him and the GOP (which I'm sure wants nothing to do with it). When workers go ballistic at being furloughed (without pay) just before Christmas, all that rage will be aimed squarely at Dolt45 and the Republicans for being intractable about a wall which anyone with one working brain cell knows WILL. NOT. WORK. And yeah, the Dems should absolutely stand fast and let the GOP take ALL the blame, cut NO deals, give Trump NO concessions whatsoever, a little short term pain now for the chance to permanently end any talk of that damned wall is a risk worth taking. I'm all for that.
    And then when it's over, he took all this heat for a shutdown, he lost the ability to ever mention the wall again, and he has to go back to his base and say "hey that big wall that I wouldn't shut up about that I promised over and over, yeah it ain't happening".

It's almost a no brainer. It's completely foolish, wastes billions after a massive tax cut, won't solve anything, and most Americans disagree with it. Democrats have the high ground here.

And then when it's over, he took all this heat for a shutdown, he lost the ability to ever mention the wall again, and he has to go back to his base and say "hey that big wall that I wouldn't shut up about that I promised over and over, yeah it ain't happening".

It's almost a no brainer. It's completely foolish, wastes billions after a massive tax cut, won't solve anything, and most Americans disagree with it. Democrats have the high ground here.
    Plus not getting it might demoralize his base for the next election as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    This seemed worth taking note of...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.8424df381eb4
    The main argument seems to be about standing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Democrats have been given a golden opportunity here, one they DAMN well better not blow. NO giving in! NO compromise! NO bipartisanship! NO going high when they go low bullshit! Trump has shown his throat and Pelosi needs to stomp on it wearing six inch fuck me heels! That's the only way the wall can finally be killed.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yet another Republican with a funding source that leads back to Putin. smh. You'd think more of the GOP would be looking over their shoulder at their brothers and sisters in Congress. Are there any untainted ones left?? maybe Jeff Flake? but he's gone after this month.

And yes, the Supreme Court needs to take a closer look at their controversial Citizen's United decision. Now can we get an investigation started on Yertle the Turtle McConnell and his dark money sources? Paging Mr. Mueller.....

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    This seemed worth taking note of...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.8424df381eb4
    Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to post this. If Kavanaugh and Roberts continue to vote along these lines, it looks like the Evangelicals got the shaft for backing Trump's Supreme court pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to post this. If Kavanaugh and Roberts continue to vote along these lines, it looks like the Evangelicals got the shaft for backing Trump's Supreme court pick.
    It also is another feather in the cap of, "There are no Obama/Trump/etc. judges."
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Team Mueller Updates:

Flynn Handed in Thousands of Documents, As Well As Electronic Devices to Mueller's Russia Probe.

I think the title speaks for itself.

Michael Cohen to be sentenced for crimes committed while working for Trump.

Satan's lawyer is going down. He's looking at anywhere from 3 years to 40. There's a chance he'll be in orange when his client is, too.

President Trump to nominate William Barr for attorney general.
    What Trump’s Attorney General Pick Could Mean For The Mueller Investigation.

"Barr, in contrast, doesn’t appear to be as intimately connected with Trump. And there are no real questions about his qualifications to be attorney general, since he held the job once before. Like Whitaker, though, Barr has made critical comments about the Russia probe — most notably in the summer of 2017, when he suggested to The Washington Post that Mueller had chosen too many lawyers for his team who had made donations to Democratic candidates. He also defended Trump’s firing of former FBI director James Comey, which precipitated Mueller’s appointment, and said that there was more basis to investigate Hillary Clinton for potential wrongdoing around a uranium deal than there was to investigate Trump for coordinating with Russia."

Barr also served as H.W.'s AG, so I think it's clear he's beholden to the Reagan era over the current GOP.

Trump’s real problem is that he obstructed justice, and Mueller can prove it. Here’s how.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." And "bye" the way, where there is SMOCK there is fire.

The Untold Story of Robert Mueller's Time in Combat.

Fascinating read. It's several months old but a good perspective on the man trying to shut down Russia.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-12-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

“My weakness could be characterized as a blind loyalty to Donald Trump.” Cohen gets 3 years.

Ding dong, another witch in the witchless witchhunt nothing burger. He has to pay $2M in fines and another couple million in back taxes.

I propose we play this for every plea deal and conviction, like the Oompa Loompa whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Michael Cohen to be sentenced for crimes committed while working for Trump.

Satan's lawyer is going down. He's looking at anywhere from 3 years to 40. There's a chance he'll be in orange when his client is, too.
    This is just my uninformed opinion mind you, but I think Cohen saw himself as a wannabe consigliere to Trump, a wannabe Mafia don. However, he proved himself extremely wanting in the profession for which he had chosen, and now he's gonna pay for all his duplicity. And yeah, Orange Foolius could end up being his cellmate.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    To say Pence looked like a tag team wrestler jobber who doesn't want to tag in to help his partner against the main eventers and get crushed would be too kind. He looked like an animal pretending to be dead so it could run away once the predators fed on his mate, instead.
    He looked like a politician who walked into what he expected to be a closed-door, preliminary meeting and instead wound up to be an on-the-record commitment to shut down the government. Dick-move-Donald blindsided his own VP.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Maybe not very original, but still a possibility.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    He looked like a politician who walked into what he expected to be a closed-door, preliminary meeting and instead wound up to be an on-the-record commitment to shut down the government. Dick-move-Donald blindsided his own VP.
    My uninformed guess is that Trump thought he could bully Pelosi and Schumer on live TV into giving him the funding for his precious wall. Needless to say that haphazard plan didn't work like he hoped. Not only did Trump kneecap his own vice president who clearly didn't see that stunt coming, he made that incredibly dumbass boast/vow/threat to not only shut down the government, he even absolved the Dems of blame if it goes down, putting it squarely on HIS head....and it's all on video for the world to see, and ultimately blame Republicans for. The time to pull a shitty move like that would've been BEFORE the Dems retook the House, not AFTER. The stupidity of Trump knows no bounds.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.