Page 429 of 985 FirstFirst ... 329379419425426427428429430431432433439479529929 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,435 of 14769
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A revolution that empowered people who in many cases wanted to evade paying taxes, keep humans in bondage, and commit genocide.
    You have to remember Tendrin, History is rarely ever made by "Good" People. it is made by Fallible, Corruptible, heartless, and sometimes Benevolent humans who are neither good or evil, but somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    You have to remember Tendrin, History is rarely ever made by "Good" People. it is made by Fallible, Corruptible, heartless, and sometimes Benevolent humans who are neither good or evil, but somewhere in the middle.
    I think I'm dying from irony over here.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...17661067730944

Many many people have made this point, but find myself thinking tonight about how head-snappingly fast the right is going to go from "climate change is a liberal hoax" to "we need authoritarian solutions to climate change *now*"

The amount of social disruption is going to be enormous. The caravan rhetoric was just a little itty-bitty taste of what's coming.

And we all know that those who will feel the brunt of those authoritarian measures are the poor, not the rich assholes who blame the poor for everything while sitting on enormous, untouched wealth that, if we started taxing them the way we should, could fund solutions and research for years...
    Last edited by zinderel; 11-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Ummmm... someone pointed this out to me. Fox News and WikiLeaks have gone dead silent for the past few days on Twitter. Matt Drudge deleted his entire Twitter feed. National Enquirer and Rudy Giuliani are also quiet.

I'm not a conspiracy end of guy but... ah, think something is up?
    Mueller's people were working on Monday, on a federal holiday.
    Corsi and Roger Stone are both already complaining they're about to be indicted for perjury. It's probably going to drop by week's end.
    Trump is locking himself behind closed doors after the Blue Wave, and another embarrassing foreign trip that he didn't want to make. He had fantasized about spending Veterans Day 2018 watching a parade in DC to cater to his own ego.

Instead, rumors are swirling about his sons being indicted. And who else in his Cabinet might be fired, with both Zinke and Nielsen being mentioned as prime candidates due to corruption on the former, and incompetence on the latter. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if they remember what a crooked idiot Ben Carson has been. If they don't get purged now, the Democrats are going to expose them in two months anyway. Picture Nielsen and her cronies having to defend Family Separation before Congress under subpoena without perjuring themselves. Not likely.

It's all coming apart. And McConnell and Murdoch's secret meeting might have been to discuss if they work to Impeach or 25th Amendment Trump out, if they think Pence can survive, or if they should just go ahead and make a President Ryan before January. Because if Pence can't survive, they're looking at a President Pelosi.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

On this date in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of Ralph Shortey, of the Oklahoma State Senate, whose highest profile bill that he wrote in his six years on the political scene was a measure inspired by an article Shortey read on a pro-life website (that lies) that would outlaw the potential use of fetuses in food products. That still isn’t a typo, and it’s still irrelevant as far as laws go, because there’s no way the FDA would approve such a product, and there are exactly zero food manufacturers looking to use human embryos in their products. Shortey has also written several obviously unconstitutional laws like ones that ignore the 14th Amendment’s existence or an outright attempt to abolish the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals. Lastly, Shortey is a big gun enthusiast, who recommends everybody have firearms readily available in case you are suddenly set upon by wild turkeys (which I’m wondering how much of that brand he’s drinking of before he shows up on the job) and bragging that he ignored the ban on carrying firearms in the Oklahoma state capitol. When we last left Ralph Shortey, he was trying to pass a completely insane bill to make it legal for cattle ranchers to shoot down drones flying over their property, and was appearing at some of the earliest campaign appearances of Donald Trump in Oklahoma... so you can thank him for giving the raging Cheeto golem political credibility from the start of his entry into the political race, citing his "excellent record on trade and finance" as all the reason people needed to support him as a candidate, overlooking that Donald Trump is not just a terrible human being, but his record on trade and finance involves bankruptcies and lawsuits and unpaid debtors galore. Our annual look at Ralph Shortey came to an abrupt end in 2017, because guess what? The supposed anti-gay Shortey got arrested for soliciting male child prostitutes, was found guilty, and sent to prison. Since Shortey is now one more hypocrite who someone should have realized was a danger to the public in the first place, we'll set aside his CSGOPOTD profile at this time and go ahead and take a look at a different kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 704-30, since this was established in July 2014.)

Paul Bailey

Welcome to the 704th original “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profile, where we’ll be talking about Tennessee State Senator Paul Bailey , who has been a member of the Tennessee state legislature since first winning office back in 2014, and he has used that office to go about undertaking the important business of the good people of the Volunteer State to make sure that all of their license plates say “In God We Trust” on them, because we can’t go having automobiles rolling about the state without making sure they somehow acknowledge the existence of the Judeo-Christian deity, right? While he was at it, he also pushed for legislation to slap the same slogan on every school in the state, (which will give kids a sigh of relief that God is watching and they can trust him if their school gets shot up with all the gun control Bailey and Tennessee GOP oppose) and was one of many Tennessee Republicans who voted to make the Bible the state book, which is, y’know… not constitutional.

When he hasn’t been on deranged theocratic quests, Bailey also has been very busy sponsoring important bills like SB 1821, which would have made it legal for people in Tennessee to own pet skunks, and went out of his way to express his distaste with NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem to protest police violence by buying season tickets on the 50-yard line to Titans games and not showing up (they still have your money, moron).

He handles ALL the SERIOUS BUSINESS, YOU GUYS. Just look at some of this voting record:
    • March 27th, 2014: Bailey votes for HB 937, a bill to prohibit the Medicaid expansion in Tennessee.
    • February 3rd, 2015: Paul Bailey votes for Tennessee’s HB 995, a bill to legalize the concealed carry of firearms in public parks, just in time for Tennessee to host the annual NRA convention.
    • February 12th, 2015: Bailey sponsors HB 1023, a bill inspired by the John Birch Society’s paranoia about fluoridated water, and restrict the amount of fluoridation in the drinking water in Tennessee.
    • February 22nd, 2016: Paul Bailey votes for HSR 467, to plead with the Attorney General of the state to file a lawsuit over Syrian refugees being allowed to resettle Tennessee.
    • April 4th, 2016: Bailey votes for the highly unconstitutional HB 615, a bill created by Tennessee Republicans to try and make the King James Bible the state book.
    • April 23rd, 2018: Paul Bailey votes for HB 2381, to create a “monument to the unborn” in the Tennessee State Capitol, which is probably the most presumptuous example of a participation trophy you’ll ever find, giving a statue to anything that’s ever even pulled off gestating in the womb.

Now, we’re going to be frank, here… there are some nutty Republicans throughout the entire Tennessee state legislature, and CSGOPOTD has covered many, while acknowledging that there’s a level of “above and beyond the pale” that it takes to stand out enough to get our attention in the Volunteer State. Paul Bailey managed to make himself a known quantity to us back in early 2017, when shortly after the Trump administration’s first attempt at enacting a Muslim ban in the United States, thousands of protesters showed up in the state capitol to protest at the offices of Gov. Bill Haslam.

And Paul Bailey took to Twitter to claim that the thousands of people were all “paid protesters. When the local media asked Bailey to back that story up, he claimed he heard it from a “reliable source” who he could not name because of “security reasons. Bailey claimed that the real evidence of paid protesters was that they were all shipped to the capitol in buses, but there was just one problem with that theory, as well… the buses he cited were present not to bring in protesters… but legislators. And there was video of them being used as such.

In any event, Paul Bailey faced off against Democrat Angela Hedgecough a couple days ago, and in spite of being an embarrassing nitwit, managed to be re-elected to another term in office, because his district really is that conservative. Since he survived the polls in 2018, he’s likely to remain in office until he’s either beaten in a primary, or convicted of corruption at some point and removed from office.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It's all coming apart. And McConnell and Murdoch's secret meeting might have been to discuss if they work to Impeach or 25th Amendment Trump out, if they think Pence can survive, or if they should just go ahead and make a President Ryan before January. Because if Pence can't survive, they're looking at a President Pelosi.
    If we wind up with a President Pelosi I would laugh forever. Don't see it actually happening, though who can say? We live in interesting times, unfortunately.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Mueller's people were working on Monday, on a federal holiday.
    Corsi and Roger Stone are both already complaining they're about to be indicted for perjury. It's probably going to drop by week's end.
    Trump is locking himself behind closed doors after the Blue Wave, and another embarrassing foreign trip that he didn't want to make. He had fantasized about spending Veterans Day 2018 watching a parade in DC to cater to his own ego.

Instead, rumors are swirling about his sons being indicted. And who else in his Cabinet might be fired, with both Zinke and Nielsen being mentioned as prime candidates due to corruption on the former, and incompetence on the latter. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if they remember what a crooked idiot Ben Carson has been. If they don't get purged now, the Democrats are going to expose them in two months anyway. Picture Nielsen and her cronies having to defend Family Separation before Congress under subpoena without perjuring themselves. Not likely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Eddie Munster leaving politics at the end of the year? If both Trump and Pence are sent packing, would Ryan want the job, even if it's to keep Pelosi out of the Oval Office?

====================

Republicans Are Casting Doubt On Normal Election Processes For The Sake Of Winning

By characterizing basic safeguards as illegitimate, Rick Scott and President Trump are undermining democracy.

Urging Florida To Ignore Military Votes Fits Trump’s True Pattern With The Troops

From attacking a former POW to nixing a cemetery visit, the president has often disrespected service members. Let's not forget Trump's heartless attack of a Gold Star family because they were Muslim-American and dared to criticize him. Short and sweet: Cadet Bone Spurs DOES NOT give a **** about the military.

Trump Reportedly Plans To Fire DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen In Coming Weeks

“The Secretary is honored to lead the men and women” of the Department of Homeland Security, an agency spokesman said after the Washington Post report. Yo, WBE, better ready that Oompa Loompa whistle!

Trump Approves Major Disaster Declaration For California As Deadly Wildfires Rage On

Days earlier, the president had blamed California for the fires and threatened to cut off federal funding. It must've hurt Dolt45 to approve that declaration given how he's holding a grudge against the state which he lost to Hillary. Meanwhile....

The Camp Fire Is Now The Deadliest Wildfire In California’s History

The blaze, raging in the northern part of the state, is also California’s most destructive fire ever.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Eddie Munster leaving politics at the end of the year? If both Trump and Pence are sent packing, would Ryan want the job, even if it's to keep Pelosi out of the Oval Office?
    Ryan hated being Speaker, because he had no control over his own caucus. He wanted to be a budget wonk.

Based on '12, he even was a reluctant VP candidate.

Honestly, I think the GOP leadership are moving towards Pence this week.

I want to bring up a story from the 2018 midterms...

In Arizona, a Hispanic Democratic candidate named Raquel Teran won office in the state House of Representatives. Alice Novoa, a failed candidate in the GOP Primary to be Arizona's Secretary of State this year has filed a lawsuit claiming that Teran isn't actually a US citizen.

This isn't Novoa's first attempt on attacking Teran's citizenship. Teran was a candidate for office in 2014, and Novoa pulled the same bulls***. The lawsuit was thrown out after Teran showed her birth certificate to the judge. However, the judge waived charging Novoa with legal fees and let taxpayers pick up the bill, partially because Novoa is broke, and generally just a crazy conspiracy theorist allowed to wander about the state capitol, and throw her name on the ballot every few years. Doing a bit of research on Novoa, she was interviewed by the Phoenix New Times back in 2010 at a rally attended by Neo-Nazis in favor of the anti-immigrant bill, SB1070. In the interview, Novoa claimed there was a conspiracy between Native Mexicans, Muslims, and the Vatican to work together to sneak people of color across the border. (Because that's what the Vatican is known for, allying themselves with Muslims.)

In any event, I'll do more research on Novoa and give her a full profile at some point, but Birther nonsense isn't just for Obama anymore.

Ryan hated being Speaker, because he had no control over his own caucus. He wanted to be a budget wonk.

Based on '12, he even was a reluctant VP candidate.

Honestly, I think the GOP leadership are moving towards Pence this week.
    That concerns me. As much as Trump has been an out of control dumpster fire since inauguration day, Pence worries me more since he's quiet crazy while Trump's been noisy crazy. Plus, Pence being an unrepentant bible thumper would make him more dangerous should he ascend to the ultimate position of power. All the more reason that if Trump is impeached or forced out of office, Red Grant HAS to go with him.

Here's a new one for WPP's list of reasons cops can kill black people.
    Stopping a mass shooting while black.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/se...ago/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That concerns me. As much as Trump has been an out of control dumpster fire since inauguration day, Pence worries me more since he's quiet crazy while Trump's been noisy crazy. Plus, Pence being an unrepentant bible thumper would make him more dangerous should he ascend to the ultimate position of power. All the more reason that if Trump is impeached or forced out of office, Red Grant HAS to go with him.
    I think Pence would be better for the country now.

I think, long term, surviving Trump for 2 more years and praying the blue wave actually exists would be better for the country long term. But that is playing a dangerous game if Dems can't come up with anyway to beat him.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Here's a new one for WPP's list of reasons cops can kill black people.
    Stopping a mass shooting while black.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/us/se...ago/index.html
    Damn! I hadn't heard about this. Son of a bitch. When you're black, you can't even save lives without losing your own. Disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think Pence would be better for the country now.

I think, long term, surviving Trump for 2 more years and praying the blue wave actually exists would be better for the country long term. But that is playing a dangerous game if Dems can't come up with anyway to beat him.
    You might be right, but I wouldn't trust Pence any further than I can throw a tank. Remember, he was all in on that bogus "gay conversion therapy" bullshit, hell, for all we know, he might still be a fan. There's no telling what sort of craziness Pence might cook up because he believes God told him to do it. That's risky business, my friend.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    And how do you know picking another Clinton style centerist would beat Trump? If picking Clinton was the safe choice, she should have won. The fact she did not should make people rethink the supposed accepted wisdom.
    I don't think that picking another Clinton style centrist will beat Trump. The opposite. I assume a Clinton style centrist is gonna win in the primaries again and then a segment of the left leaning voters are going to not vote or write in votes and all that nonsense and then Trump wins again.

I am 99% positive Trump wins 2020 no matter what. We are a dumb as **** country.