Page 644 of 985 FirstFirst ... 144544594634640641642643644645646647648654694744 ... LastLast
Results 9,646 to 9,660 of 14769

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Jim Geharty of the National Review looked at the text of the Green New Deal. He is skeptical of its viability, as it proposes eliminating nuclear, natural gas, oil and coal in the next eleven years (which is about 88 percent of America’s current energy sources) and also calls for firing over a million military personnel, as well as replacing "non-essential individual means of transportation" (ie-cars) with public transit.

The Green New Deal was posted on the Green Party website four months ago.

http://www.gp.org/gnd_full
    We do need to move in that direction - but it seems like that doesn't do it intelligently. That said, the time for half measures has long since passed us by, and we (as in the human race) need to start looking at drastic changes.

But I'm a believer in Thorium Fluoride Nuclear Reactors, so my ideas aren't going to be considered is such a proposal.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    That was who I originally planned for, but when I got to the site there were literally four people there, so I just walked over to Sanders' section.
    I found myself in a similar situation. I ended up going with Clinton for various reasons.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The dumbest thing about this is that it's actually a poll slanted to favor the Republicans. People on the left can choose between Trump or congressional Republicans to split the vote. Pretty much everyone on the right can vote congressional Democrats
    I've been told by people in the Green Party that the spoiler vote isn't really a thing, so.......
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I found myself in a similar situation. I ended up going with Clinton for various reasons.
    For all it's perceived faults, for me, the caucus system kind of avoids entrenchment since I usually pick someone that most closely aligns with me knowing they *probably* won't get the nomination and then of the top three pick my second choice.

In 2008 it was Biden first, Obama second so I got pretty lucky with that one.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Didn't notice much of anything about this...

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-co...ry?id=60259030

Sen. Bernie Sanders, potential 2020 candidate, to introduce bills on prescription drug costs
    Sanders will hold a press conference Thursday with Reps. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., and Ro Khanna, D-Calif., to introduce three new bills aimed at bringing down the price of prescription drugs. The issue was central to Sanders’ first presidential bid in 2016, and Democratic leaders have often cited it as a top priority for the party this year, too.

According to a preview sent to ABC News from Sanders’ congressional staff, the new legislative package from Sanders and the group of House Democrats includes:

- The Prescription Drug Price Relief Act, which would “peg the price of prescription drugs in the United States to the median price in five major countries: Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Japan;

- The Medicare Drug Price Negotiation Act, to “direct the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs under Medicare Part D;” and

- The Affordable and Safe Prescription Drug Importation Act, which to “allow Americans to import safe, low-cost medicine from Canada and other major countries.”
    Last edited by numberthirty; 01-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.

For the "Illinois"/"Illinois Adjacent" folks, Fox/WFLD is going to have an interview with JB on the news broadcast that is about to start.

Just a thought but I suspect an AOC driven Green New Deal and the Green Party's vision might be a little different.

Hidden Motives behind Key GOP Leaders’ Cooperation with Trump & Russia: An Evidence-based Examination of Irrational Behaviors & the Republican Congress Members Who Exhibit Them

The president is growing more erratic and dangerous by the day. Donald Trump’s sometimes subtle and often bellicose threats against Iran are on the upswing. He foments hostility at home, using civil war dog whistles that rile militia groups and rogue agents, while forecasting mob “violence” if the Republicans lose the House. Trump doubles down in his embrace of tyrants who actively spurn the free press, before creating his own fake news about hazards at the border. He secretly prepares for the potential of a new attorney general, complete with a Mueller-proof ethics-waiver, while capriciously flirting between firing or pushing AG Jeff Sessions to resign. We discussed this type of psychological unraveling in our NBC Think op-ed regarding the 25th Amendment, predicting that the president’s deterioration would hasten in response to the advancing Mueller probe. While neither of us know the president, we can confidently assert that people like Trump, with well-documented and long-standing behavior patterns consistent with narcissistic and anti-social personality disorders, are prone to becoming more paranoid, unpredictable, impulsive and dangerous when they are under extreme levels of distress.

But another danger, lurking beneath the Donald Trump horror show, is the Republican-led Congress and its failure to place appropriate checks on our nation’s executive branch. Even if the Cabinet did its job and invoked the 25th Amendment, the current Republican members of Congress would not lend their required support to relieve the president from his duties under this nation-saving measure. In addition, the GOP-led House will not impeach the president, and the Republicans in the Senate would not convict an impeached president.

Is it simply the Republican agenda that keeps Congress in lockstep with Donald Trump? Certainly, this most commonly cited interpretation of their behavior is one possibility. Could it also be that the GOP-led members of Congress are afraid of Trump’s power? The president’s deranged rants and uncanny ability to whip his base into a hypnotic frenzy of hatred towards Trump’s political enemies may also contribute to their hamstrung performance. The religious right’s war-oriented, authoritarian agenda, detailed in our chapter in Rocket Man, also provides some insight into GOP compliance with Trump. But while the Republicans’ autocratic values, fear of Trump’s sway, and prominent desire to enact their policy vision may be contributing to their duty-shirking behavior, we believe there is more to the story.

In this piece, we logically explore many of the available data points that surround selected members in Congress and their passive, servile response to Trump’s irrational and dangerous behavior. Rather than looking at each action or inaction as an independent event, we string them together as a collective whole, in search of an organizing principle that unites the sum of these Congressional missteps. Drawing upon political and psychological insights, as well as Occam’s razor — the reasoning principle used by scientists and academics that states that the most obvious explanation is usually the correct one — we lay out an evidence-based case that many behaviors executed by key GOP Congress members are unreasonable, from a Republican and conservative point of view, possibly indicative of deeper, non-policy-oriented entanglements.
    ----

How Putin's oligarchs funneled millions into GOP campaigns

As Special Counsel Robert Mueller's team probes deeper into potential collusion between Trump officials and representatives of the Russian government, investigators are taking a closer look at political contributions made by U.S. citizens with close ties to Russia.

Buried in the campaign finance reports available to the public are some troubling connections between a group of wealthy donors with ties to Russia and their political contributions to President Donald Trump and a number of top Republican leaders. And thanks to changes in campaign finance laws, the political contributions are legal. We have allowed our campaign finance laws to become a strategic threat to our country.
    Last edited by Tami; 01-14-2019 at 07:21 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Going back a few days, but...

The seven 'people' who voted against paying federal employees their back wages earned while operating as unpaid slave labor to the state during the Republican party tantrum about the ineffectual wall/distraction from their disaster of a president...who owns them? What corporations pay them off? What billionaires? Who is the ACTUAL enemy of the people, voting through those 7 puppets while paying off pundits to point the finger at the media?

Or is there some moral/ethical high ground to claim for their abhorrent, inhumane, career-killing-if-this-were-a-sane-world stance on the people they are screwing over every day they keep up this race-baiting charade?

Sorry, no, seriously, who are the paymasters behind these seven bastards (every one of whom is an older, wealthy, white, ostensibly Christian man, I notice...)? And I can't help but notice that we have quietly swept this news under the rug to focus on...Trump's wall, Democratic Party purity, and Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders...again...

I want to focus for a moment on these seven shitbags.

Justin Amash (Mich.)
    Andy Biggs (Ariz.)
    Paul Gosar (Ariz.)
    Glen Grothman (Wis.)
    Thomas Massie (Ky.)
    Chip Roy (Texas)
    Ted Yoho (Fla.)

Who offered them enough money to sell their souls? I want names...
    Last edited by zinderel; 01-13-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Most Americans Hold Trump Responsible For Government Shutdown, New Polls Show

The latest surveys find the public increasingly concerned about the standoff and unhappy with everyone in Washington. Unfortunately, Trump won't pay attention to those polls which he'll inevitably call "fake news". Even worse, Dolt45 maintains that the shutdown isn't his fault, even though he's on record saying he'd take responsibility for it. Meanwhile....

Trump Adviser Suggests Unpaid Government Workers Are ‘Better Off’ During Shutdown

White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett said some furloughed workers didn’t have to use their vacation days over the holidays. This is THE most fucked up **** I've ever heard! Those same workers that moron said were "better off" AREN'T BEING PAID!! How in hell is that a good thing?

Trump Goes On Racist Tirade Against Elizabeth Warren Amid New Russia Scandals

The president often turns to social media to vent during times of White House turmoil. Response from Republicans? Crickets. If Barack Obama were to have taken leave of his senses and called Mitt Romney a racial slur that rhymes with "slacker" during the 2012 election, outraged, pearl clutching conservatives would've screamed bloody murder.

GOP Shrugs Off Report That Trump Concealed Details Of Putin Meetings

“This is not a traditional president. He has unorthodox means,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said in defense of Trump. Again, Republicans would've gone berserk from rage if Obama pulled that stunt, and everyone bloody well knows it too.

Ted Cruz Won’t Rule Out Future Support For White Supremacist Steve King

“What I’m going to do is urge everyone to stand for principles that matter,” Cruz said about backing the racist Iowa lawmaker down the road. If that's the case, then getting rid of a shitbag like King WOULD be a stand for principles that matter.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-14-2019 at 02:50 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

I like how Carl Bernstein, one of the journalists of the Watergate scandal, a man of great integrity, explained today that Trump helped Putin destabilise the US, the article is on Newsweek;

It was on this day in both 2015, as well as 2016, that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Dave Agema, a former Michigan state legislator and former member of the Republican National Committee from Michigan who served three terms before being done in by term limits, and since becoming a member of the RNC, has only narrowly avoided having his resignation forced upon him after a series of controversial and bigoted remarks over the past several years. Among Agema’s worst quotes that we covered in that first profile were comparing gays to alcoholics and claiming that they only want free health care because they're all dying of AIDS, the time he questioned whether anyone of the Muslim faith have ever made positive contributions to America, and the time he circulated the inaccurate and mathematically-challenged claim that President Obama is "50% white, 43.75% Arabic and 6,26% black." There was also the time when Agema posted what he called a “very enlightening” article from a white supremacist magazine on African-American crime about how by their nature, people of that race are “violent and prone to violence”. Needless to say, he comes off as quite the hate-monger. Agema decided to not run for re-election to the Republican National Committee after helping write the most extreme party platform in the history of the GOP at the 2016 RNC, meaning his career has likely come to an end.

On this date in 2017, as well as in 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published its first profile of Jim Wheeler, a four-term member of the Nevada State Assembly who represents District 39, and was first elected in 2012. Wheeler’s district leans just a wee bit conservative, to say the least, so much so that no Democrat to this point has bothered running to challenge him for his seat. It was back during his first term in August of 2013 at a town hall where Wheeler was touting his dedication to catering to the whims of his constituents, and someone asked him if he would vote for slavery if they wanted… and Wheeler said YES HE WOULD. (This is one of those easy trick questions you should probably still say “HELL NO!” to, Jim.) And, like many a Republican that we’ve covered at CSGOPOTD caught literally on tape making racist statements, Jim Wheeler insisted he was just being “taken out of context”. Well, in context, his remarks were revolting enough that he earned the criticism of even higher-ranking Republicans like Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval and Sen. Dean Heller. It was shocking enough that he even made the Colbert Report for it, where Stephen Colbert suggested that his constituents should all hypothetically suggest Wheeler punch himself in the balls, and he’d do it, because that’s how he works.

That controversy barely had time to die down, however, before Wheeler again made the papers, this time on allegations that his financial disclosure forms prior to running for office were inaccurate, and failed to mention a tax lien he owed in Michigan, as well as a challenge to his residency within his district. To the former, Wheeler plead ignorance to the rules, and then amended the report. For a while, Wheeler was also blogging his deep thoughts on politics, and you can kind of see how he’s deeply partisan when he discusses gun control and those who support it like this:

Without irony, ladies and gentlemen. But how about some hypocrisy for you? Back in May of 2013, Wheeler voted against Nevada’s SB 139, which would have made crimes committed based on the victim’s gender identity or expression a felony. Okay, so apparently Jim doesn’t like the idea of an assault on a transgendered citizen simply for that reason being a hate crime. But guess what he DOES qualify for a hate crime? When people attack police dogs, THAT is a hate crime. Think about that… he’s prioritizes police dogs over actual people. Wheeler also voted against AB 284, which would allow victims of domestic violence to terminate rental agreements and not fear any financial repercussions of fleeing their abusers. Apparently, the inconvenience of a landlord having to find a new tenant should take priority over a spouse being beaten by their husband or wife. At least in Jim Wheeler’s twisted mind. Wheeler also voted against the police being required to wear body cameras, and voted against automatic voter registration for anyone getting a driver’s license, because he hates the idea of democracy (because when more people vote, Republicans lose).

And, apparently the Nevada GOP have no interest in ever winning the minority vote again, because over the summer, they chose Jim Wheeler, a man who once stated his willingness to vote for slavery if that’s what his constituents wanted, to be the Minority Leader of the Nevada Assembly. Wheeler, going into 2018 also was endorsing Dennis Hof, the notorious reality-television pimp from the Bunny Ranch, as a state legislator.

If you needed any further example as to how far the Republican Party has fallen in terms of its principles, take a look at Jim Wheeler, and see its worst qualities.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump and GOP taking messaging hit on shutdown

President Donald Trump and Republicans are losing the messaging war on the government shutdown.

The shutdown is now the longest in U.S. history, entering its 23rd day, and there appears to be no end in sight. As Trump repeatedly declares he won't reopen the government unless he gets funding for his border wall, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) are adamant that they will not fund the project.

Trump’s message on the shutdown — blaming Democrats for refusing to concede on his border wall — isn't convincing the American public. Instead, the majority of Americans think Trump and Republicans are at fault for the shutdown, according to two new polls. A Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 53 percent of respondents blamed Trump and Republicans in Congress for the shutdown, while 29 percent blamed Democrats. Thirteen percent of respondents said both sides were equally to blame.

Pressure on Senate Republicans to break shutdown impasse grows

Twenty-four days into the longest government shutdown in U.S. history and with the White House and House Democrats no closer to a deal, pressure is ramping up on Senate Republicans to craft an exit plan that will get federal employees back to work and pull their party out of a deepening political quagmire.

In a sign that Republicans are increasingly concerned that the standoff over President Trump’s long-promised border wall is hurting their party politically, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) suggested temporarily reopening the government while continuing negotiations. If talks don’t bear fruit, Graham said Sunday, the president could consider following through on his threat to bypass Congress and build the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border by declaring a national emergency.

“I would urge him to open up the government for a short period of time, like three weeks, before he pulls the plug,” Graham said on “Fox News Sunday.” “See if we can get a deal. If we can’t at the end of three weeks, all bets are off. See if he can do it by himself through the emergency powers.”

The maneuvering by a key Trump ally highlights the difficult balancing act Senate Republicans will probably face over the next two years, trapped between a mercurial GOP president and an emboldened new House Democratic majority.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/12/u...NbZKvVYhqE7_R4

STEVENS POINT, Wis. — Chancellor Bernie Patterson’s message to his campus was blunt: To remain solvent and relevant, his 125-year-old university needed to reinvent itself.
    Some longstanding liberal arts degrees, including those in history, French and German, would be eliminated. Career-focused programs would become a key investment. Tenured faculty members could lose their jobs. The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Dr. Patterson explained in a memo, could “no longer be all things to all people.”
    Dr. Patterson’s plan came as Stevens Point and many other public universities in rural America face a crisis. Such colleges have served as anchors for their regions, educating generations of residents.

Gdansk mayor Pawel Adamowicz dies after being stabbed in heart on stage

(CNN)The mayor of the Polish city of Gdansk died on Monday, one day after he was stabbed in the heart and stomach by a man who rushed on stage during an open-air charity event, a police spokesperson confirmed to CNN.

Thousands of people witnessed Sunday's attack on Pawel Adamowicz, 53, who was rushed to hospital where he underwent a five-hour long operation before succumbing to his injuries.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.