Page 66 of 985 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166566 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    I still don't understand how sending letters is going to convince anyone to do anything if they know for 100% certain you are going to vote for them regardless.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I remember those. Those are the things where I am told I have to vote conservative because the progressive won't win in the general.
    Baby Thanos

To the people who didn't have to slave 48 to 64 hours anymore, "Did It Eventually Get Done?" sort of kind of mattered.

If you do not care about "Did It Eventually Get Done?" you would probably, I dunno,vote third party or write in somebody.
    Which would likely have taken years longer(if it ever happened) had workers(and to a limited degree business) not actually already done what actually amounts to "Came About Because..."

Never mind that lots of folks were no longer working 48 to 64 hours by that point because they had already accepted that actual progress on that front was not something they were going to wait for a government that was in on things like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Like every great social reform before it, the U.S. government fought the implementation of an eight hour workday like an enraged raccoon. Police gunned down striking labour unionists in the streets of New York and Chicago for campaigning for this.
    to eventually, maybe, get on the right side of the issue.

I remember those. Those are the things where I am told I have to vote conservative because the progressive won't win in the general.
    Please link to the posts where that was told to you. I specifically remember people reporting the opposite, as in how they voted themselves when arguing with you (like quite a few "I voted for Bernie in the primaries and Hillary in the general election."
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Which would likely have taken years longer(if it ever happened) had workers(and to a limited degree business) not actually already done what actually amounts to "Came About Because..."

Never mind that lots of folks were no longer working 48 to 64 hours by that point because they had already accepted that actual progress on that front was not something they were going to wait for a government that was in on things like this...

to eventually, maybe, get on the right side of the issue.
    Your idea that voting does not matter, and laws don't matter, troubles me.

Hillary was right!

Please link to the posts where that was told to you. I specifically remember people reporting the opposite, as in how they voted themselves when arguing with you (like quite a few "I voted for Bernie in the primaries and Hillary in the general election."
    I'm talking about in real life. I have only been on this forum for a few months.
    Baby Thanos

Since it seems like some actual context is needed on this "Forty Hour Week" discussion...

https://ibew1245.com/2012/05/01/peop...hour-workweek/

In 1886, a group of workers on strike at the McCormick plant in Chicago went on a march to Haymarket Square to protest the people trying to break the strike. This was a completely nonviolent demonstration. In return, police opened fire on them, wounding many and ending the lives of four people.

Oh, I’m sorry, did you think those were the company police? No, this was the city police. Paid for by the tax money of those dead men. They shot them because they wanted an eight-hour workday.

Soon afterward, during another rally, someone threw a dynamite bomb as the police tried to disperse the crowd. It went off, killing some officers, and in the ensuing chaos a gunfight broke out. Labor leaders were rounded up and, even though everyone agreed none of the people arrested actually had anything to do with the bomb, they were given death sentences anyway. Four of them were hung. Afterward, after pressure from the public, a judge repealed the death sentence for the remaining leader, saying that he and the four dead men were actually innocent and their execution was the result of “hysteria, packed juries and a biased judge”.
    In 1916, in the town of Everett, Washington, a contingent of striking shingle workers, supported by members of the IWW (Wobblies), were confronted by the town police led by the sheriff, one Donald McRae. McRae drew a gun on the nonviolent protestors and told them to turn around and leave. A shot rang out, starting a gunfight that, again, left a lot of dead people. Nobody knows who fired the first shot, but most historians agree that it’s unlikely it was from the worker side, considering they suffered the bulk of the losses and the few officers that were wounded during the battle were injured by their own side
    Look at those dates. Think about when government finally did the right thing.

Anyone trying to frame it as "We have a forty hour week that came about because of who was in government..." is just wrong.

Per @nytimes, White House counsel Don McGahn decided to cooperate "extensively" with special counsel Mueller's obstruction probe, reportedly because he feared Trump was setting him up to take the fall for obstruction. Trump may not know about McGahn's cooperation.
    https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1030880370147958786

Hillary was right!

I'm talking about in real life. I have only been on this forum for a few months.
    Then why bitch about it here, instead of to the people around you?

Hillary was right!

Then why bitch about it here, instead of to the people around you?
    Because the people here are telling me I am responsible for Donald Trump.
    Baby Thanos

Because the people here are telling me I am responsible for Donald Trump.
    But you do see how it appears that you are misrepresenting what people say here, if you randomly throw in stuff told to you by, I dunno - your manicurist? - to counter points made here?

Hillary was right!

But you do see how it appears that you are misrepresenting what people say here, if you randomly throw in stuff told to you by, I dunno - your manicurist? - to counter points made here?
    The people who coin terms that are thrown around here like "purity testing" are the same people who fight against the progressive candidates (mostly people at the DNC)
    Baby Thanos

The people who coin terms that are thrown around here like "purity testing" are the same people who fight against the progressive candidates (mostly people at the DNC)
    I am pretty sure that your manicurist is not posting on this thread.

It would be very helpful if you only countered points actually made by posters here. Or at least pointed out when you are talking about other people.

Hillary was right!

I am pretty sure that your manicurist is not posting on this thread.

It would be very helpful if you only countered points actually made by posters here. Or at least pointed out when you are talking about other people.
    I am saying that you guys and the people I know are getting your talking points from the same source.
    Baby Thanos

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I like George Carlin. George Carlin was hilarious. George Carlin's philosophy of "F*** voting" only works when the government isn't crazy. If both parties are two sides of the same coin, and one side isn't empowering to Nazis, then you do you. Find something to get excited about in four years. If, however, one side is demonstrably crazy, then grow up, and stack up with the people who don't want that crazy messing up their lives. Even if they aren't quite what you'd like.

Seriously. Principled voting might seem noble in the moment, but once that moment is past, your feet will wade through the same lukewarm sewage as the rest of us. You'll just be a higher-minded sort of loser compared to the rest of us more common losers.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."