Page 681 of 985 FirstFirst ... 181581631671677678679680681682683684685691731781 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,215 of 14769
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because it doesn't fit an agenda. If those were black males doing that-you would see NO EFFORT to show the whole video or try to convince folks that the Native American was in the wrong or whatever.

Who cares who started it? Those kids could have walked away or ignored the man. All this has done is OPEN the door for every little dirty thing that school has done to POC to come out.
    I don't think so.If those where black males,I imagine that there be uproar over the fact that you have grownass adults seemly harassing minority teenagers.

If the adults started it then most of the heat should be on them.
    Last edited by Baseman; 01-21-2019 at 07:58 PM.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Gail Simone shared this post on her Facebook page. The post by Jeff Neal breaks down the 4 hour video of the MAGA kids incident.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...7&id=817262976

It’s pretty interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Please explain to me the point. I don't want to make any mistakes regarding your political views.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They shouted 'build that wall' and made tomahawk chops and 'war whoops' and such.

They knew what they were doing and as evidenced from stories aobut the school and photos, this isn't behavior that's out of the ordinary for Cov-Cath.

There's really no 'defense' of them. Nuance can only explain /how/ it got to that point but it does not change their actions, nor the smirking white privelege born of elite insularity.
    When did they shout "build that wall"?

There's skepticism of that claim.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...c-test/580897/

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You still have absolutely no proof that a "mistake" was made -- only your opinion that the kids in the video were justified in their behavior due to provocation by "black Israelites".

And the reason they are getting national scrutiny is because someone filmed them acting disrespectfully towards a Native American veteran and the "nation" responded accordingly -- just because you may not agree with said scrutiny doesn't mean that it isn't warranted.

While some of the Sanders supporters here probably have you beat in that regard, the truth is that you have an obvious blind spot when it comes to the issue of racism in your party -- something we've spoken about many times before, which is why I often say it's redundant to repeatedly discuss said issue with you.
    Let's look at where mistakes were made.

My initial response in this thread was to WorstBlogEver, who wrote that a kid "bailed from the March of Life so he could go harass the Native American Vietnam veteran in DC."

This fit an initial misunderstanding that the kids sought out the Native American elder, rather than the other way around.

Many of the articles have been changed as new information came to light. But we do see indications of the first draft.

Vox describes the encounter as "White students in MAGA gear crashed the Indigenous Peoples March and harassed participants."

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/19/181896...-native-elders

The mayor of the city was moved to issue an Op-Ed against the kids. The article says that the "group targeted Nathan Phillips, a veteran of the Vietnam War and director of Native Youth Alliance. "

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/...224833530.html

One write-up describes the kids as harassing African-Americans.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/native...ack-protesters
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I don't think so.If those where black males,I imagine that there be uproar over the fact that you have grownass adults seemly harassing minority teenagers.

If the adults started it then most of the heat should be on them.
    Ultimately the blame lies with the adults who had the bright idea to bus these kids to a protest, about an issue that they have little understanding of and in no way affects them, and then stood aside and didn't try to calm things down when the confrontation started. Look, all teenage boys have these kinds of shitheaded tendencies and I'm sure all of us have done things that we're not proud of, but it's the responsibility of adults to try to control this behavior, or at the very least channel it in a harmless direction, not to encourage it in a public setting and then try to justify and defend it when the inevitable backlash comes. I mean, what kind of lesson do you think these boys will learn from the incident, will it teach them to be accountable for their actions or to try and be better people in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Please explain to me the point. I don't want to make any mistakes regarding your political views.
    The point is that you failed to see the forest because you were looking at the trees. The individual students are the Trees, the school as whole is the Forest.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The kids are just a symptom of the larger problem, which predates Trump, of affluent white boys generally not being held accountable for anything, which in turn encourages them to act like dickheads because they have armies of right wing commentators defending them in the name of triggering the libs or promoting white heritage or whatever nonsense. And what the hell were those kids doing there in the first place? What teenage boy have you ever met that had an informed and nuanced opinion on the merits of abortion and women's rights, never mind Native American issues?
    BINGO! Those miserable little snots more than likely didn’t give even half a **** about those issues. By wearing those MAGA hats, they were there for no other reason than to rile up the libs and otherwise act like the smacked assed, white privilege fools that school has been churning out for years.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Let's not pretend Mets is being anything other than a far right apologist at this point.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Let's look at where mistakes were made.

My initial response in this thread was to WorstBlogEver, who wrote that a kid "bailed from the March of Life so he could go harass the Native American Vietnam veteran in DC."
    I wasn't referring to his link -- I was referring to my original post that included the first video and the comments from Nathan Phillips.

Another problem with these "dialogues" is that you are constantly trying to address so many people at once that little to nothing really gets resolved -- it just becomes a matter of addressing talking points, like about how these young men were mistreated by the media and how the "black Israelites" were really at fault, and therefore we should be more careful in our scrutiny despite the fact that we all saw how said young men behaved on the video and we all know that the man they are supporting with their MAGA hats is a seasoned racist, something you repeatedly fail to contextualize into the situation as a whole.

So -- again -- if your take on the situation is that those young men are not at fault, then so be it.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Gees, so self-conscious and weak.

President Trump's official Facebook account has been posting photoshopped images that make his fingers look longer. Seriously.

An interesting article on Moscow's libraries and their revival, something we're also seeing signs of here.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/21/68558...a-loud-revival

In recent years, the city's team in charge of libraries has discarded almost all traditional concepts of what a public library is.
    "We have a different idea from the way things used to be. A library can be a loud place," says Maria Rogachyova, the official who oversees city libraries. "Of course there should be some quiet nooks where you can focus on your reading, but our libraries also host a huge amount of loud events."
    The Dostoevsky Library hosts three to four events a day, including language clubs, readings and lectures. Once an acoustic music concert got so loud that there were noise complaints from the hookah lounge in the basement, Lisitsky recalls, laughing.
    If a dozen or so people per day came through the doors of the Dostoevsky Library before its renovation in 2013, Lisitsky says it now gets 500 daily visitors, who are drawn by its modern facilities and evening events.
    Andrei Akritov, 22, an aspiring standup comedian from out of town, says he discovered the library when he walked by and saw people reading inside.

BANNED

Racist Congressman Steve King ‘Honors’ MLK With Fake Quote
    The Iowa Republican praised the slain civil rights leader by citing a short quote often attributed to him.

Historians may one day point to Jan. 21, 2019, as the day irony as we know it died.

What other reason can explain why unapologetically racist Iowa Congressman Steve King chose to tweet a tribute to the slain civil rights legend Martin Luther King Jr. on the day commemorating his birth.

To make things more ludicrous, King’s tweet of praise included this quote attributed to King: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

Problem is, King never actually said that, according to Snopes.com
    MLK’s Son Criticizes Mike Pence: My Father ‘Was a Bridge Builder, Not A Wall Builder’
    Martin Luther King III wants the vice president to know that his father would say “love, not hate, will make America great.”

Egyptian TV Host Sentenced To Year In Prison For Interviewing Gay Man
    Mohamed al-Ghiety was found guilty of encouraging immorality amid Egypt’s crackdown on perceived homosexuality.

BANNED

Kamala Harris: ‘I Take Full Responsibility’ For Decisions I Made As A Prosecutor
    The new presidential candidate has faced criticism from some on the left over her record as a district attorney and California’s attorney general.

n recent weeks, Harris has faced criticism from some on the left about her record as a district attorney in San Francisco and later as California’s attorney general. In a widely shared New York Times op-ed, law professor Lara Bazelon called Harris a “regressive” prosecutor who was often on “the wrong side of history” on the matter of criminal justice reform, as well as someone who “fought tooth and nail to uphold wrongful” convictions in California.

A prominent Bay Area activist accused the senator on Twitter of “terrorizing Black communities” by working to strengthen the state’s prison system.

In her first press conference as a presidential candidate on Monday, Harris said she took responsibility for decisions she made a prosecutor and expressed regret for not being able to do more in certain cases she was involved in.
    Black Renters In The South Are Bearing The Brunt Of America’s Eviction Crisis
    The federal government shutdown could spike eviction rates nationwide.

Like most tenants facing eviction in Fulton County, Hicks is African-American and lacked a lawyer. She planned to tell the judge about her family’s hardships. Not only did she have a disability, reliant on government checks for rent, but she also was raising two boys who each had autism.

Without a favorable ruling, a landlord could move forward with padlocking the door and placing their items on the curb. If she was lucky, she might get her wish of celebrating Christmas there.