Page 164 of 985 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264664 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 14769
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm still not clear what you mean by steal the election. Do you have a different definition to this than the conventional definition (IE- ballot stuffing, hacking of voting machines, intentional efforts to disqualify lawful voters)?
    What I have is no desire to argue semantics.

You know exactly what I mean and you are free to disagree as you will.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-midterms/

And you still haven't explained why you don't have a real issue with the Republican party routinely using illegal or unethical means to attempt to disenfranchise "minority" voters as I pointed out in a recent post.

Not that I think there is any valid "explanation" for this -- just wanted to point out how it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for me to try to find common ground with you when your party and your Republican president are doing their best to make sure that people like myself don't have equal rights in this country.

You can't claim to disagree with racism, homophobia, Islamophobia, corruption (etc) and then vote for the party that virtually embodies these traits.

Well, you can... but no one with any sense is going to buy it.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-17-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    What Maura you askin for?

If they were so moved so as to sign a letter, why refuse comment now?
    I can see it. I've signed on to plenty of petitions on issues that I agree with, but when they ask me if I want to comment in my own words, I usually say, no, I've signed on, that's enough. That said, even if all 65 of these women are truthful, that doesn't mean Kavanugh never did what he's being accused of doing. I mean, you could shoplift from one or two stores, and the fact that there are 100 other stores you entered and didn't shoplift doesn't erase the shoplifting from the stores you did steal from.

By the way, Trump has ordered the DOJ to declassify certain Russian materiel related to the Mueller probe. And all text messages of Comey, Strzok, Lisa Page, & Ohr.

So ... certain sections of the Carter Page FISA application ... FBI interviews related to Page ... FBI interviews with Justice Department official Bruce Ohr ... and all text messages from Comey, Strzok, Page, & Ohr ...

Not cherry picking at all.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I can see it. I've signed on to plenty of petitions on issues that I agree with, but when they ask me if I want to comment in my own words, I usually say, no, I've signed on, that's enough. That said, even if all 65 of these women are truthful, that doesn't mean Kavanugh never did what he's being accused of doing. I mean, you could shoplift from one or two stores, and the fact that there are 100 other stores you entered and didn't shoplift doesn't erase the shoplifting from the stores you did steal from.
    This isn't an online petition, this is something they were so moved to sign that they did so within a day not that long ago and suddenly aren't willing to stand by their support of this douche.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    What I have is no desire to argue semantics.

You know exactly what I mean and you are free to disagree as you will.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-midterms/

And you still haven't explained why you don't have a real issue with the Republican party routinely using illegal or unethical means to attempt to disenfranchise "minority" voters as I pointed out in a recent post.

Not that I think there is any valid "explanation" for this -- just wanted to point out how it doesn't make any sense whatsoever for me to try to find common ground with you when your party and your Republican president are doing their best to make sure that people like myself don't have equal rights in this country.

You can't claim to disagree with racism, homophobia, Islamophobia, corruption (etc) and then vote for the party that virtually embodies these traits.

Well, you can... but no one with any sense is going to buy it.
    So you're going to refer to accusations (ie- stealing elections) without defining it?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

So you're going to refer to accusations (ie- stealing elections) without defining it?
    So you're going to evade my comment about supporting an openly racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic and corrupt party and still expecting to find "common ground"?

I posted the definition of stealing and an article on how the next election might likewise be stolen -- if you can't work things out from there then so be it.

I think I said a long time ago that we're obviously on different ends of the spectrum in many ways and there's little point in expecting that to change until you are personally negatively affected by the political choices that you make -- such as another recession that affects your bottom line.

Obviously my own personal stories of being harassed by cops and the like didn't make you see things any differently, as you later said that you think such claims are "exaggerated" despite all of the data showing otherwise.

So why bother to continue the charade -- you vote as you will and I'll do the same.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-17-2018 at 07:08 PM.

I think I said a long time ago that we're obviously on different ends of the spectrum in many ways and there's little point in expecting that to change until you are personally negatively affected by the political choices that you make -- such as another recession that affects your bottom line.
    I don't think that will matter. The GOP under Bush came close to collapsing the Global Economy. Yet the Financial Class still gladly supported the Republicans. Those tax cuts are all they seem to care about
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Forgot to add "treasonous" to the above list of Republican traits, though I'm sure you'd like to argue the semantics of that as well, rather than just admitting the truth about your party.

------
    "Former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort agrees to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller, pleads guilty to conspiracy charges"

"Manafort, wearing a dark suit, white shirt and purple tie, admitted guilt to revised charges of just two counts of conspiracy, which will effectively consolidate and resolve the two criminal cases against him in Washington and in Virginia federal courts.

The two charges are conspiracy against the United States and conspiracy to obstruct justice by witness tampering...

Rudy Giuliani, Trump's lawyer for the Russia probe, said: "Once again an investigation has concluded with a plea having nothing to do with President Trump or the Trump campaign."

"The reason: the President did nothing wrong and Paul Manafort will tell the truth," Giuliani said.

Within minutes of Giuliani issuing that statement, another Trump lawyer, Jay Sekulow, sent a "corrected statement" to reporters that said the same thing but omitted the words "and Paul Manafort will tell the truth."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/trum...y-charges.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-17-2018 at 07:14 PM.

The vote was scheduled for Thursday and the contents if the letter have been known to some members of Congress since June. I don't think the people who don't want Kavanaugh on the court should be rewarded for their indecision.

Whatever happens should be done quickly, barring new revelations (ie- new accusers, the other two people at the party coming forward.)
    Do you think it should have been released earlier, or just not at all?

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Do you think it should have been released earlier, or just not at all?
    It should have been released earlier. The allegation is strong enough that it should have been released. Even if you think someone's actions as a legal minor shouldn't impact their eligibility for a position three decades later (an understandable position since there is no situation I can think of in which a middle-aged adult is penalized for behavior at 17) how he responds to it now can be important.

But it's self-serving for people who don't want him on the court to delay the release of the material and then complain there isn't enough time to go over it thoroughly, so the vote has to be held back.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It should have been released earlier. The allegation is strong enough that it should have been released. Even if you think someone's actions as a legal minor shouldn't impact their eligibility for a position three decades later (an understandable position since there is no situation I can think of in which a middle-aged adult is penalized for behavior at 17) how he responds to it now can be important.

But it's self-serving for people who don't want him on the court to delay the release of the material and then complain there isn't enough time to go over it thoroughly, so the vote has to be held back.
    Oh, look. It's all the Dems fault again.

So you're going to evade my comment about supporting an openly racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic and corrupt party and still expecting to find "common ground"?

I posted the definition of stealing and an article on how the next election might likewise be stolen -- if you can't work things out from there then so be it.

Obviously my own personal stories of being harassed by cops and the like didn't make you see things any differently, as you later said that you think such claims are "exaggerated" despite all of the data showing otherwise.

So why bother to continue the charade -- you vote as you will and I'll do the same.
    You did suggest that you weren't interested in a conversation, as evident by the fact that you cut off most of my comment, so I didn't see much point in going further. You don't seem interested in what I have to say, so any comment was pointless.

I was interested in what exactly you consider to be a stolen election to understand more clearly where you're coming from, so that was the extent of my post.

You suggested you answered it before, but you didn't exactly, or at least not in the posts I found.

You respond to questions about the court by talking about gerrymandering.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on#post3895830

You haven't differentiated between tactics you don't like and stolen elections, so when your response to "How was the Kennedy seat stolen?" touches on the Southern Strategy, I'm not sure if you consider the Southern strategy from the former group or both groups.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...gy#post3895164

You're correct to note that we're on different sides of the spectrum (although there are people much further to the left than you, and further to the right as well as further to the antiestablishment side than me, so there are others who will have a tougher time communicating), and this means we see things with different frames of reference and conclusions. Shorthand isn't going to work.

I'm not trying to persuade you, or trick you. I'm trying to understand you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh, look. It's all the Dems fault again.
    Why should they be rewarded for waiting so long with a letter they've had since July 24?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Why should they be rewarded for waiting so long with a letter they've had since July 24?

I think you need to think very long and very hard on how this reflects on the GOP and not, for once, try to throw stones at the Dems. That you think of this in terms of 'reward' is problematic at best.

"Rewarded"? The hell?

Instead of being mad at this guy for his actions, or at Trump for nominating this guy, or at the GOP for pushing this guy this hard, you're blaming the Democrats. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    "Rewarded"? The hell?

Instead of being mad at this guy for his actions, or at Trump for nominating this guy, or at the GOP for pushing this guy this hard, you're blaming the Democrats. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking like this.
    "hey, we have a letter from a woman who doesn't want to be identified that Kavanaugh did some bad things". They referred it to the FBI. She was interviewed, passed a polygraph.

And the GOP continued.

But, yeah, sure. It's the Dem's fault.